2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Abs and brake light!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 AM
Anthony14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs and brake light!!!

Hi I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dualy with 5.9 Cummins. It does have 4 wheel abs. So far here is what I have replaced (rear brakes, shoes, hardware, drums, wheel cylinders, front calipers, rotors, pads, all new stainless brake lines hoses. Front steering is completely new, along with wheel hubs and speed sensors, including the rear on the diff.) I had the abs codes read and here they are 65, 52, 42, 41, 46,45,53,23,35,21,25,74,68,81. After that I went ahead and replaced the brake light switch under the dash considering that is cheaper than a module... everyone online says the fix is wheel speed sensor on rear differential, but apperantly that’s not the problem.... I’m starting to think it’s the abs module... but I don’t want to guess. I have only owned this truck for over a month and have dropped 4K into it to get it ready to plow snow. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome here.
You have almost every code possible, plus one I don't have in my manual (74). I flagged #65 "Main Relay Open" as interesting. Have you checked/replaced that relay?

Also, find the ground and power wires to the CAB and make sure they are good, solid, and clean.

After that, maybe it's time for a new CAB or HCU.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Anthony14

What relay are you referring to? And I did replace the grounds under driver side battery box. As that caused alot of issues! Also battery’s are new and every battery cable has been replaced.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't know. I don't have 4WAL but I looked it up and there is a big fuse in the PDC. Maybe there's a relay somewhere I can't find. Or it's built into the CAB. How are all the connectors and wires going into the CAB?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Anthony14

There is a big 30-40 amp fuse in the PDC, it seems to be ok. After I put the brake light switch in last night the dash lights (abs and brake) will turn off when I start truck, once I start moving they come back on again. I did just find out the new wheel hubs with abs sensors that I installed turns out they were rubbing on the rotors. So that is a major problem that is where a short is for sure. Do I have to replace them or can I solder them back together and heat shrink...?? I would think those are delicate and that would create to much resistance...?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony14
There is a big 30-40 amp fuse in the PDC, it seems to be ok. After I put the brake light switch in last night the dash lights (abs and brake) will turn off when I start truck, once I start moving they come back on again. I did just find out the new wheel hubs with abs sensors that I installed turns out they were rubbing on the rotors. So that is a major problem that is where a short is for sure. Do I have to replace them or can I solder them back together and heat shrink...?? I would think those are delicate and that would create to much resistance...?
Are you sure there isn't air in the brake lines?

Old 12-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Anthony14

Pedal is firm and only has about an inch of travel so I wouldn’t think there is air in system

Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony14
Pedal is firm and only has about an inch of travel so I wouldn’t think there is air in system
So was mine until I rebleed the back brakes and then the lights went out. But I only have rear wheel abs

Old 12-06-2018, 05:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If the lights only come on when you move, thats a wheel speed sensor problem. If the front sensors were rubbing on the rotors, thats where I would start looking.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 AM
Anthony14

Okay so I changed the abs sensor on front passenger side due to rubbing on rotor. The driver side was okay. That was an expensive lesson learned. It’s crazy I work on a ton of cars through out the week but it’s always your personal one that gets you stuck. Anyway I still have abs and brake light on after fixing the speed sensors.... I also noticed a new problem when I hit the brakes the rear amber turn signal lights, light up. It’s a dump bed so nothing is stock. I just put all new lights and re wireded from the cab back, everything was working fine until I changed that brake switch last night. So my guess is I got a defective switch from NAPA....?

Quick Reply: Abs and brake light!!!