2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blower Motor Remains on

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:04 AM
cyrilecollins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Remains on

2002 Ram 1500 - When ignition off and key removed, blower motor stays on. Drained battery. Is it coincidental, problem began within days of having heater core replaced?
EdC

Old 12-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Sounds fishy to me. Return to the shop and demand they fix it. If not, crawl under and check the motor connections. Not sure if switches to ground or power but somehow it's not losing power at ignition off.

You might get more help in the 3rd gen section since your truck is the first year of 3rd gens (HDs were still 2nd gen in 02).

Old 12-23-2018, 02:40 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Just had a look at a 2004 wiring diagram. The blower gets power directly from the ignition switch and the blower switch connects to ground via different resistors. Either the ignition switch has a problem or the shop eff'd something up and wired the blower to a different source. Pull fuse 4 in the PDC and see if the blower stops.

Last edited by DerTruck; 12-23-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:56 AM
cyrilecollins

I will be calling the repair shop Monday. Will let you know what I am told.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 AM
cyrilecollins

Yesterday evening I recharged the battery. This AM I reconnected and started the truck. Turned on the A/C and let it run for a few minutes. Turned on the radio. Essentially tried to recreate a typical situation. Turned off the ignition. Did not remove the key. A/C and blower turned off. Radio turned off. Went through the process again. This time, I noticed what for me was an unknown 'key' in the column situation. (Please understand I am new to this inherited, well maintained truck). I removed the key. Both the A/C and Radio remained on. Trying to understand why this time was different from the first attempt, I again repeated the process a third time. This time I was very careful and slow. I realized when turning the vehicle off I could unintentionally over-rotated the key counterclockwise and still remove the key thereby leaving the 'power' on. Therefore, over rotation is likely the problem. Is this ability to remove the key from the over rotated position 'normal'? I do not recall in 50 yrs of owning cars when I could remove a key an leave 'power' engaged. Or, do you think I have another issue. Don't want to think I have identified 'me' as the problem in error and get stranded with a dead battery.
CyC

Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 AM
cyrilecollins

Yesterday evening I recharged the battery. This AM I reconnected and started the truck. Turned on the A/C and let it run for a few minutes. Turned on the radio. Essentially tried to recreate a typical situation. Turned off the ignition. Did not remove the key. A/C and blower turned off. Radio turned off. Went through the process again. This time, I noticed what for me was an unknown 'key' in the column situation. (Please understand I am new to this inherited, well maintained truck). I removed the key. Both the A/C and Radio remained on. Trying to understand why this time was different from the first attempt, I again repeated the process a third time. This time I was very careful and slow. I realized when turning the vehicle off I could unintentionally over-rotated the key counterclockwise and still remove the key thereby leaving the 'power' on. Therefore, over rotation is likely the problem. Is this ability to remove the key from the over rotated position 'normal'? I do not recall in 50 yrs of owning cars when I could remove a key an leave 'power' engaged. Or, do you think I have another issue. Don't want to think I have identified 'me' as the problem in error and get stranded with a dead battery.
CyC

Old 12-23-2018, 12:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by cyrilecollins
CyC
It's not normal. It's your ignition cylinder, or could be your key. I have seen both.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Not normal but I can do that on my 235k+ miles truck too. It does the frantic key-in-ignition dinging though and all it takes is turn the cylinder a little until it's locked. Doesn't even require the key.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Key is worn down. If you have a spare, see if it does the same thing. If not, make a copy of that one. Worst case, get a new ignition switch and key. The door locks can be rekeyed to match by your self or a locksmith. For now, be careful to save the battery.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Or, just remember you can do that. And pay attention when you take the key out.

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Remains on