2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Rebuild Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Tanngiost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Rebuild Considerations

Hey all, so I'm looking to replace my exhaust system in its entirety (cat and muffler are blown out, truck sounds like LOUDLY shaking a metal bin full of ball bearings) and I had some questions on the feasibility of what I want to do. I searched the muffler thread but that is long dead and didn't think posting there would be appropriate. My main questions are these:

1. I have wanted to do true dual (no X or H, separate pipes from each header) and was wondering about the feasibility of this. Would the 2nd gen 318 suffer from the reduced scavenging? Would there be any benefits that make getting two cats and mufflers worth the cost? Or am I just wasting money being obsessed with wanting two separate pipes?

2. What mufflers do you guys run? Seems most people from the muffler thread liked flomaster/magnaflow, but how would the exhaust sound be affected by only 4 cylinders venting through each muffler in the dual system? I can't find any youtube videos demonstrating a difference or change but I figure there would have to be venting half as much exhaust gas.

3. I am planning on getting the pacesetter long tube headers, however reviews I've seen on them are mixed and makes me nervous to get them, but I haven't found any other option for long tubes out there. Anybody have experience with these that can put me at ease?

Ultimately the sound I'm wanting for is a deep throaty rumble at idle, not excessively loud but speaks with authority when you give it the beans. Any help achieving this goal would be greatly appreciated, even if that means being told what I want to do is a dumb idea.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanngiost
Hey all, so I'm looking to replace my exhaust system in its entirety (cat and muffler are blown out, truck sounds like LOUDLY shaking a metal bin full of ball bearings) and I had some questions on the feasibility of what I want to do. I searched the muffler thread but that is long dead and didn't think posting there would be appropriate. My main questions are these:

1. I have wanted to do true dual (no X or H, separate pipes from each header) and was wondering about the feasibility of this. Would the 2nd gen 318 suffer from the reduced scavenging? Would there be any benefits that make getting two cats and mufflers worth the cost? Or am I just wasting money being obsessed with wanting two separate pipes?

2. What mufflers do you guys run? Seems most people from the muffler thread liked flomaster/magnaflow, but how would the exhaust sound be affected by only 4 cylinders venting through each muffler in the dual system? I can't find any youtube videos demonstrating a difference or change but I figure there would have to be venting half as much exhaust gas.

3. I am planning on getting the pacesetter long tube headers, however reviews I've seen on them are mixed and makes me nervous to get them, but I haven't found any other option for long tubes out there. Anybody have experience with these that can put me at ease?

Ultimately the sound I'm wanting for is a deep throaty rumble at idle, not excessively loud but speaks with authority when you give it the beans. Any help achieving this goal would be greatly appreciated, even if that means being told what I want to do is a dumb idea.
There are many issues to tackle. Once you forgot is the O2 sensors. You will only have them on one side, which means one side of the engine could run lean or rich. I use JBA Headers and like them. And the muffler issue I don't think will be an issue.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Tanngiost

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
There are many issues to tackle. Once you forgot is the O2 sensors. You will only have them on one side, which means one side of the engine could run lean or rich. I use JBA Headers and like them. And the muffler issue I don't think will be an issue.
Hmmm. I had imagined the air/fuel mixture being similar in all cylinders as the ECU adjusts the mixture but I suppose this wouldn't always be the case. Although I have read of people removing the O2 sensor entirely, would this be detrimental to normal operation?

Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanngiost
Hmmm. I had imagined the air/fuel mixture being similar in all cylinders as the ECU adjusts the mixture but I suppose this wouldn't always be the case. Although I have read of people removing the O2 sensor entirely, would this be detrimental to normal operation?
That I can't tell you and you ate right about the mixture unless you have Cali equipped truck, if you don't, you are fine. Also it's PCM not ECU

Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Another issue is no one makes a true duel for our trucks. At least going out the back on both sides from headers. H and X pipes are a good idea, it helps the exhaust flow out better(better performance). Don't go to lager of a pipe or you will hurt performance rater than help it.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Unless you know someone that can custom bend pipe for you, you won't find a true dual 'kit' for your truck..... In all reality, the pacesetter longtubes, off-road y-pipe, (you can splice a cat into that.) and a single 3" pipe will give great performance, and with the right muffler, a nice deep rumble.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 AM
Tanngiost

Originally Posted by Moparite
Another issue is no one makes a true duel for our trucks. At least going out the back on both sides from headers. H and X pipes are a good idea, it helps the exhaust flow out better(better performance). Don't go to lager of a pipe or you will hurt performance rater than help it.
Yeah I knew I was going to have to run all the pipes myself. My main reason for wanting true dual being to have two stacks coming from the bed behind the cab, with flapper rain caps (like an old tractor, love the look). The idea behind separate pipes being that it would make a better effect on the flappers and have a more unique sound profile. The biggest worry I had though which you addressed was how performance would be affected. I knew X and H aided scavenging with duals, thereby increasing performance but knowing the low RPM's the trucks run I was not sure if the amount of change would be that significant.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unless you know someone that can custom bend pipe for you, you won't find a true dual 'kit' for your truck..... In all reality, the pacesetter longtubes, off-road y-pipe, (you can splice a cat into that.) and a single 3" pipe will give great performance, and with the right muffler, a nice deep rumble.
I think this is more the setup I'm leaning towards, as much as I want my gasser stacks. Buying two of everything and essentially doubling the pipe work does not sound appealing, along with compromising the emissions system just for a novelty.

The main question then is which muffler. I like the sound of the hushpower pro (third one tested) in this video, but I wonder if that beast of an engine would make anything sound good.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the only exhaust system I could find for your truck.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/3048...634+4294829105

You are probably going to have to take it to a custom exhaust shop to get what you what made for it.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Tanngiost

Originally Posted by ZEN357
This is the only exhaust system I could find for your truck.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/3048...634+4294829105

You are probably going to have to take it to a custom exhaust shop to get what you what made for it.
Thanks for the link, yeah I have been going into this expecting/ wanting to have to build it all myself from scratch. If in the event I find myself in over my head I can just take all my parts to a muffler shop and have them piece it together.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched an episode of engine Masters on you tube, and the HP loss between duel, X, H pipes was only a couple HP. X pipe made the most. Duel made the least. I did my own exhaust on my 360 Magnum swap into my 91 d150. Put in an X pipe, and it's dumping just in front of the right rear. 3" pipe all the way. I've got 2 thrush Rattler mufflers, nice deep tone. Sounds kinda Nascarish/monster truckish at wot.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Rebuild Considerations