2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020 | 01:09 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

So in reality, the only possible way the cylinders could fill up? Well, they weren't full. But 8 of the plugs had water on em after less then 10 minutes? So I'm sure they would've been full by tomorrow?

The thing about it, is this? When I changed the camshaft position sensor. The truck started right up. It wasn't until it ran for close to a minute. Before those cylinders filled up and killed the engine?
​​​​​​
We now know the gaskets are good. The old ones were fine! Just like every other part I was told to change! So if it isn't gaskets. It has to be faulty metal!!!???

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 02-18-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2020 | 01:13 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Leaning towards walking for a while!

Old 02-18-2020 | 01:41 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Leaning towards walking for a while!
Heads or the intake some there intake does have coolant passages. I don't know the V10s (actually never saw one in person so they May not exist and you guys could be pulling my chain ) but usually it's the heads. If you are desperate try that stuff that seals head gaskets. Might work or it might not. You don't have much to lose..

Old 02-18-2020 | 02:07 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Not going to put anything in to fix a leaky gasket. I just changed them all. The old ones weren't leaking. I knew they weren't. Tried for a cheap fix considering there's nowhere to test cylinder heads here. The entire time I knew it wasn't gonna work. But like HeyYou said. Do what you can, when you can! Just working with what I have available.
However, the reason I asked about the manifold is because the V10 thermostat housing is mounted to the manifold and last time I checked the biggest coolant hose from the radiator goes right into the top of the thermostat housing. Like atleast a 2" ID hose. So lots of coolant is gushing into that manifold!
I have lots to lose! Im already out $1500 in parts and shipping to try and get this thing going! Not a fan of throwing parts at rigs. I've changed more parts that were still good. Then I care to speak about! With the exception of the camshaft position sensor. Every other part I changed didn't need to be changed! They were fine! I'm not a mechanic but I know they were fine! Just glad all the shops were busy in town or I would be out a few more grand and the truck would still be broke down! Turning the wrenches myself wasn't that big a deal! Way more difficult to work on a fricken ford! Hence the reason I don't own one!

That's the end of the manifold where the thermostat bolts on. I suppose I could remove the manifold and run some water thru it to see if any pours thru the ports?

Old 02-18-2020 | 03:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Not going to put anything in to fix a leaky gasket. I just changed them all. The old ones weren't leaking. I knew they weren't. Tried for a cheap fix considering there's nowhere to test cylinder heads here. The entire time I knew it wasn't gonna work. But like HeyYou said. Do what you can, when you can! Just working with what I have available.
However, the reason I asked about the manifold is because the V10 thermostat housing is mounted to the manifold and last time I checked the biggest coolant hose from the radiator goes right into the top of the thermostat housing. Like atleast a 2" ID hose. So lots of coolant is gushing into that manifold!
I have lots to lose! Im already out $1500 in parts and shipping to try and get this thing going! Not a fan of throwing parts at rigs. I've changed more parts that were still good. Then I care to speak about! With the exception of the camshaft position sensor. Every other part I changed didn't need to be changed! They were fine! I'm not a mechanic but I know they were fine! Just glad all the shops were busy in town or I would be out a few more grand and the truck would still be broke down! Turning the wrenches myself wasn't that big a deal! Way more difficult to work on a fricken ford! Hence the reason I don't own one!

That's the end of the manifold where the thermostat bolts on. I suppose I could remove the manifold and run some water thru it to see if any pours thru the ports?
Wouldn't hurt. A sealer might fix your issue even though it's not a gasket. If I had to bet I would say heads

Old 02-18-2020 | 03:24 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Might try the manifold test? Might just rip the engine out and stuff the truck in the bushes until I find another one? Run n out of options! It's just in the way now and it's not at my house. So, it bothers me to cork off people's shop! Towing it to the crusher is ultimately the cheapest thing to do!

Old 02-18-2020 | 04:29 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Might try the manifold test? Might just rip the engine out and stuff the truck in the bushes until I find another one? Run n out of options! It's just in the way now and it's not at my house. So, it bothers me to cork off people's shop! Towing it to the crusher is ultimately the cheapest thing to do!
Replace the heads and intake. That way you eliminate everything that could go wrong

Old 02-18-2020 | 04:39 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Replace the heads and intake on an engine that has 215,000 and just took an antifreeze bath on my main bearings? That makes zero sense to me! By the time I get parts here. It'll be two grand. I can buy a long block for 3 grand! Cost me $100 to crush it! Loved the truck when it ran! Hated the gas mileage! Sounds like a good reason to dump this thing! I'm not in the position to dump anymore money into it! Besides, it's a waste of money at this point! My attitude might change? But I doubt it!

Old 02-18-2020 | 03:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It isn't the intake. Given the way the intake is designed, if it were a break between the coolant passages, and the passages to the cylinders, only the front two cylinders would fill. The rest have no way of coolant getting to them. The only place all the intake runners meet, is a good distance ABOVE any coolant passages......

With the plugs and such getting wet in such a short period of time..... I would guess that the heads are cracked and/or warped, the blocks is cracked/warped, or both..... I think the only surefire way to fix it, without having to go thru this exercise several more times, is replace the whole engine. Even if you got a decent used engine, I think you would end up spending less, than buying new heads, and finding out that it STILL got coolant into the cylinders......

Old 02-18-2020 | 04:04 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

HeyYou, money is my biggest issue. Collecting $300 a week on unemployment until work starts back up. Ain't cut n it! Nobody would hire me now anyways! I don't have a vehicle to get there!

There's only 3 dodge V10's on this island. So parts are nonexistent! The barge is highway robbery and inflates the price of everything. My only shot here is to find an engine. Have it shipped to Seattle and put it on a buddies fish n boat before he comes up? The likeliness of that happening is probably zero! Due to the no money! Wish I had somewhere to store it until I find a fix. But not a reality!

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles