2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021 | 04:43 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
-35 to -38F here in the middle of B.C. last few days, warmed up last night to -10F or so, brilliantly sunny days though, good for solar.
The idea behind icing is to shrink the crank fractionally, then heat the core of the balancer to expand it away from the crank. 9F air temp is colder than you will get it with a bag of ice. Work reasonably fast, you can't damage the rubber, it's well out aways from the crank. The crank snout is tapered to align the pulley to an exact spot. If the last outfit torqued it on properly, you can be in for a fight.
Here is the puller you need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-6667-Ha...AAAOSwRGhesynu
I have used the three jaw type, but the base is too wide for decent jaws, you end up using a small puller. It has worked and it has also broken the jaws of the puller. I have the MAC tools version of thist set, one or two extra pieces, but MATCO, LISLE, OTC are all the same and decently priced used. The base is narrow so the jaws stay aligned vertically, it pushes on the bottom of the crank tap, to keep the puller vertical, and you won't break the good ones. On your own for Chinese sheeite. Good luck, was hoping you'd be driving that truck by now.

Old 02-15-2021 | 04:49 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran
Default Timing chain tolerances

So I finally removed the damper. HeyYou! Thanks again for the "heat gun" tip. it didnt take much. Size did matter on this job and the 8" puller was too big (thats what she said) the 6" puller grenaded but pulled it off most the way and the little 4incher finished it off!! What are the tolerances on the timing chain? It has some play in it. The truck this engine came out of said 125k on the odometer. Is it worth change n the chain now that its exposed?

Old 02-15-2021 | 04:59 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

So the million dollar question? How do you get that damper back on? Book says 192 ft lbs if i recall correctly?
It shows a tool on the service manual but CRAPA and Oreillys are the only 2 parts stores on this island and they both game me the blank stair...........?

Old 02-15-2021 | 05:09 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
So the million dollar question? How do you get that damper back on? Book says 192 ft lbs if i recall correctly?
It shows a tool on the service manual but CRAPA and Oreillys are the only 2 parts stores on this island and they both game me the blank stair...........?
I always get it started by hand then use the bolt

Old 02-15-2021 | 05:51 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I always get it started by hand then use the bolt
Hopefully it goes on easier then it came off!!??

Old 02-15-2021 | 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You are RIGHT there, if there is a new chain to be had, might just as well change it......

Notice the came gear has a raised section there? That's the part the cam sensor reads. It's also why you gotta take care putting it back in. Procedure is in the service manual.

Old 02-15-2021 | 07:10 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are RIGHT there, if there is a new chain to be had, might just as well change it......

Notice the came gear has a raised section there? That's the part the cam sensor reads. It's also why you gotta take care putting it back in. Procedure is in the service manual.
I did notice the high spot. I remember changing the sensor and it said to turn the engine until there was a certain amount of clearance before installing the new one. Does that mean that i should take the sensor out before i put the timing chain cover back on? I marked the cover and the damper to make sure it goes back on the exact way it came off. Nothing has moved, so technically it should just go back together the way it came off shouldnt it?

Old 02-15-2021 | 07:37 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
I did notice the high spot. I remember changing the sensor and it said to turn the engine until there was a certain amount of clearance before installing the new one. Does that mean that i should take the sensor out before i put the timing chain cover back on? I marked the cover and the damper to make sure it goes back on the exact way it came off. Nothing has moved, so technically it should just go back together the way it came off shouldnt it?
Looks like NAPA (No Available Parts Again) loses out to Oreillys! The new comer in this town!! 46.99$ for a new timing chain. Weve come this far. Might as well change it. Already had a new water pump. New radiator as well! Heck all i need now is to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar and rebuild the trans and this truck should be ready for another 100k!?!?

Old 02-15-2021 | 08:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would expect that you could just leave the cam sensor in place...... But, I've been wrong before, and, better safe than sorry?

I should think you would get at least another 100K out of it.

Old 02-15-2021 | 09:19 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would expect that you could just leave the cam sensor in place...... But, I've been wrong before, and, better safe than sorry?

I should think you would get at least another 100K out of it.

So which way do these engines turn? been so long since ive seen it run i forget. Turns to the right if you were sit n in the drivers seat? Gotta line up the timing marks before removing the camshaft sprocket to replace the chain. Do i have to remove the crankshaft sprocket? Seems un necessary?

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles