2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021 | 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Didn't the chain come with new sprockets???

As you are sitting facing the crankshaft snout, turn it clockwise.

Old 02-15-2021 | 09:37 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Didn't the chain come with new sprockets???

As you are sitting facing the crankshaft snout, turn it clockwise.

I called parts store and asked for a timing chain. This is what they have me. I looked on rockauto and they sell the chain separate. Didnt have a kit?

Is it manditory to change the sprockets too?

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 02-15-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2021 | 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope, if all you have is the chain, then that's what you change, and you don't have to pull the crank sprocket to do it either.

Old 02-15-2021 | 09:47 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

God bless you HeyYou! That cranksprocket looks about as fun as the damper to pull off!!

Old 02-15-2021 | 10:12 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
God bless you HeyYou! That cranksprocket looks about as fun as the damper to pull off!!

My Haynes manual just rained on my parade! Or in my case it just snowed on my parade!!!🤨

Old 02-16-2021 | 02:53 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran
Default Flywheel swap

So I read in the manual that it said to mark the flywheel before removing it. The donor engine only came with the flywheel bolts. Will it be ok to put my flywheel off the blown engine on? Its the only one I have.

Got the rear main seal, front output shaft seal and new pan gasket on tonight. I went to change the timing chain but read in the haynes, NEVER PUT A NEW CHAIN ON AN OLD SET OF SPROCKETS. So we got the ruler out and checked the play in it like the book said. It had 1/16th of an inch play in it. It said replace it if it had over an 1/8th. So we good there! Atleast for now. Lets see IF and HOW this donor runs first? Just gotta wait until the snow melts. supposed to be 37-40 the rest of the week? Stand by.............

Old 02-16-2021 | 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't recall if the 8.0 is internal, or external balance. If external, I would expect that the flywheel bolt pattern would only allow the flywheel to bolt on one way...... If not, look at the rust pattern on the mounting face of the flywheel, to align it properly.

New chain and old gears.... If the gears aren't severely worn... I don't really see how that would be a problem. If you can get gears though, wouldn't be a bad idea.

37-40....... I need to move to alaska.... It is in single digits here, with a stiff wind, and we got about 8 inches of snow overnight. Gotta go out and see if I can make the snowblower tractor work the way it should.

Old 02-16-2021 | 11:52 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't recall if the 8.0 is internal, or external balance. If external, I would expect that the flywheel bolt pattern would only allow the flywheel to bolt on one way...... If not, look at the rust pattern on the mounting face of the flywheel, to align it properly.

New chain and old gears.... If the gears aren't severely worn... I don't really see how that would be a problem. If you can get gears though, wouldn't be a bad idea.

37-40....... I need to move to alaska.... It is in single digits here, with a stiff wind, and we got about 8 inches of snow overnight. Gotta go out and see if I can make the snowblower tractor work the way it should.
When the snow bank melts off. i will pull the old engine out and do the swap. As far as the chain and gears, we let n it ride for now. donor engine ready to go.

Before you sell your house and move to this island. we broke a rainfall record that stood since the1940's, last year. We had over 200 inches of rain! i forget the exact number. But we beat the old record by october!
Guess thats what happens when you live in a rainforest! This town is built at the base of a mtn. It sucks the weather in and holds onto it!!

Old 02-19-2021 | 12:07 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran
Default Let the fun begin

Back to normal here. 45 and blown 25! Dont forget the pour n rain! Snow bank is finally gone. Truck head n for the shop!!

Old 02-19-2021 | 11:07 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Back to normal here. 45 and blown 25! Dont forget the pour n rain! Snow bank is finally gone. Truck head n for the shop!!
Stood in the pour n rain all morning looking for the key to move the mini van block n my way!! So no wrench turn n today. Just soaked from rain! Will try again in the am. if we cant find the key, its get n the BFH to the ignition!!!

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles