2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021 | 11:28 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Coolness.
Well, its been a week of various struggles get n that donor engine in. wouldve had it mostly done last night. But my fuel rail was full of rust and I didnt have any carb cleaner, gasoline or any other kind of cleaner. so i brought the fuel rail to the boat and shined her up! lots of gnarly cemicals onboard this vessel!! Got her soak n right now! it was a good call. there was all kinds of rusty chunks came out! after some breaky, back to the shop to knock this project out. should be turn n the ignition this afternoon some time and see if the truck wants to run again or if its going to the scrap pile!!!

Rusty fuel rail halted install last night.

FYI anyone reinstalling the V10, remember, those 2 extra cylinder need room to slide back further into the engine compartment then the V8! When bolting on a picking chain. Make sure you use short bolts. I used the long ones and fought the install for a good day before i figured out it was trash n the firewall heat shroud. Live and learn!

Old 02-28-2021 | 01:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, ten cylinders is huge..... and heavy. Be glad it wasn't designed to use a distributor, it would have been even longer.

Old 02-28-2021 | 07:06 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Yeah, ten cylinders is huge..... and heavy. Be glad it wasn't designed to use a distributor, it would have been even longer.
Anyone know where this vacuum hose goes? found homes for all of them but this one?

This vacuum hose comes up ovee the power brake booster from along the driver side. Theres a bunch of vacuum lines along the fire wall. 3 go to the plenum one goes the air cleaner box and this on is a mystery to me? HELP!!!! Thx!

Old 02-28-2021 | 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Transfer case? Should be a white, and green line coming up from the t-case switch, white one is vacuum source for the CAD. Of course, that only applies if your truck is 4 wheel drive.

Old 02-28-2021 | 07:51 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Transfer case? Should be a white, and green line coming up from the t-case switch, white one is vacuum source for the CAD. Of course, that only applies if your truck is 4 wheel drive.
Truck is definitely 4wd. this donor engine was 2wd. I traced the line back to this can on the frame. gonna have to look at the old engine to see if the manifold had a vacuum line hookup?

Old 02-28-2021 | 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Charcoal cannister. Vacuum line likely goes to the purge valve. No idea where that is, maybe on passenger fenderwell.

Old 02-28-2021 | 07:58 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Truck is definitely 4wd. this donor engine was 2wd. I traced the line back to this can on the frame. gonna have to look at the old engine to see if the manifold had a vacuum line hookup?
The engines sure look exactly the same!? Does that vacuum line go to the top of the transmission or something? seems like it should be along the fire wall somewhere jist by the position of it?

Old 02-28-2021 | 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Easier to see with half the intake out of the way.

Is your emissions label still legible? That *should* show where it goes. Probably a diagram in the service manual as well.

Old 02-28-2021 | 08:34 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Easier to see with half the intake out of the way.

Is your emissions label still legible? That *should* show where it goes. Probably a diagram in the service manual as well.
I see the hose on the passengerside fender. I also see the white and green wires along the firewall. that last vaccuum hose is right next to it. Does look like they hook together? i remember when i took it apart. The green wire had a fitting but nothing was hooked to it? maybe the line snapped of perhaps?

Theres the purge line on the pass fender

Theres the green and white lines. The white line hooks to the device that the cruise control module vaccuum line hooks to. The green one didnt have anything hooked to it? Almost looks like a plug? But the \"MYSTERY LINE" ends up right next to it!?

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 02-28-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2021 | 08:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The green line just as a little filter on it, it's the vent line for the CAD system.

The following users liked this post:
Stitch Mitchell (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles