2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 07:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Anything is possible, getting to it is a major ordeal though..... I don't remember seeing one under there when I swapped my battery tray though...... (but then, I wasn't looking for it either.)

Old 12-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's 3:58 pm here in SE Alaska. It's blowing 20 and pouring rain. So I will have to wait until tomorrow to crawl under it and check all my grounds! Thanks again, Hey you! This job has now turned personal! So it will get done! Being a fisherman. Failure is never an option!

Old 12-27-2019, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
It's 3:58 pm here in SE Alaska. It's blowing 20 and pouring rain. So I will have to wait until tomorrow to crawl under it and check all my grounds! Thanks again, Hey you! This job has now turned personal! So it will get done! Being a fisherman. Failure is never an option!
Oh come on. Where is your sense of ADVENTURE!

Let us know what ya find out.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

I had to walk 3 miles to town on Xmas to find the grocery store closed! 3 miles back to the house! 6 mile walk in 15 degree weather for nothing! I gotta get this truck fixed!

Old 12-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default Sending PCM in for repair.

I found a place back east that will run a diagnosis and repair on my PCM. If they find nothing wrong. They ship it back free of charge. Everything else on this rig checks out! Atleast everything I tested.

Gimme my old 76 K5 Blazer back! Atleast I could work on it!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:46 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default Sent off PCM

Don't know if anyone has ever used them before? But I found a company called G7Computers. You ship your PCM out to them. They diagnosis it and fix it. $225.00 for my dodge. Or if there's no codes and it checks out. They charge you for shipping it back and that's it! Stand by gentleman! Happy new year to everyone on this forum! Thank you so much for the words of wisdom!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Definitely let us know what happens.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:59 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is a way to drop a cylinder while the engine is running:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3465184
Should have posted it here, not on that page.
As to your problem. I won't ask you for the fourth time what plugs you are running.
V10s do run smooth, but using the light to ground the cylinders one by one, you'll find the bad one(s).
Check your Factory Service Manual/Wiring Diagram, if you don't have one, you are wasting your time and the time of everybody else, get the right one. See if you agree with this. The way I understand it, with truck powered up, the ASD relay provides constant power to the fuel pump, coils and injectors. The PCM provides the ground for each of these in the proper sequence. You said you have flooded cylinders/poor mileage and now a no start condition, but spark and good fuel pressure. If the ground circuit(s) to the PCM for (some of) the injectors was shorted before getting to the PCM you might have a constant open injector(s). If intermittent ground, then a misfire. It would be worth it to find the pinout for the injector circuits, and check them end to end for continuity or intermittent loose breaks. Code 12 is an ODBI code, means the battery has been disconnected. I believe it can also be set by bad grounds. We have packrats at our place in Canada, rodents can be hell on wiring. Free advice from the internet forums is usually pretty much worth what you paid for it. As for the mechanic throwing parts at your truck without even considering wiring issues, owes you for the parts that did not fix the problem, at least partially.
By the way, unless you have a California truck, you have only two O2 sensors. '96-'97 is kind of an in between. Analog dash, hybrid almost OBDII, programmable PCM, at least that is what I gather from the '96 I parted out.
Good luck

Last edited by 69_XS29L; 01-02-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

There's only two O2 sensors because I live in Alaska and the cats were cut off when I installed headers and new exhaust. However, the computer is in the mail. On its way to the east coast to get fixed. Hopefully my full spectrum of problems is a PCM issue they can fix?

This truck had an after market "Performance chip". That was more like a potato chip! Guaranteed better fuel mileage and more horsepower. It did one of the two. The chip was hooked to the IAT sensor on the intake manifold. It made the truck run like crap. But I got the best mileage the truck has ever gotten! I was fully loaded going elk hunting in Idaho and still got 13 mpg! Doesn't sound like much. But it's only get n 4.9 - 7.4 mpg around town. Since I removed the chip last year. The truck has had good days and many bad days! Nothing but bad days lately!

I will tell ya what the report is from the PCM doctor!? Standing by.............

Old 01-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Still standing by....... The holidays did a number on the mail service! The computer reached the doctor this morning! Hopefully I hear from them mid week some time? The snow is piling up here in Alaska! Soon as the trucks fixed the snow will go away!

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles