2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Still standing by....... The holidays did a number on the mail service! The computer reached the doctor this morning! Hopefully I hear from them mid week some time? The snow is piling up here in Alaska! Soon as the trucks fixed the snow will go away!
Ain't that just the way it goes though? A few years back, we got a bad snowstorm, and had a LOT of shoveling to do. I never wanted to deal with that again, and bought a snowblower for my tractor. I think I have used it three times in the last six years......

Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Computer doctor report is in

So G7 computers tells me everything checks out with the hardware. But there was a software failure? So they didn't have to open the board? They reprogrammed it and said there's an electrical part failing causing all the problems and if I don't find the problem its just gonna crash the program again? So it doesn't sound like this is gonna fix my problems? Sounds to me like a scam on G7's part? Hope I'm wrong!!!

Old 01-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Advice from G7 computers was to check the battery, alternator, voltage regulator and the grounds.

The alternator failed just before the fuel pump failed. So the alternator is rather new. Just like the fuel pump. Is the voltage regulator in the alternator? I have a new battery and replaced the cables. The mystery continues!????

Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Regulator is inside the PCM.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Voltage regulator is an external one and it says it's on the alternator?

Old 01-07-2020, 05:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Voltage regulator is an external one and it says it's on the alternator?
The alternator saying it is external regulated means that something else takes care of those duties, not the alternator. In this case, voltage regulator is indeed in the PCM. At least, it was from the factory......

Old 01-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

You guys would know better then I! All I know is the G7 computer guy said check the voltage regulator? I sent him the PCM. So he should've checked that? Looking for bad grounds under the battery box and found the cable from the throttle linkage to the cruise control diaphragm was busted off!? Probably why the cruise control has never worked on this truck? Still looking for bad grounds while wait for the PCM to get shipped back to me. Nothing like crawling around on the frozen snowy ground looking for bad grounds!!!

There's a dodge under there somewhere?

Old 01-07-2020, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ouch. That sucks.

The tech not knowing the voltage regulator is IN the pcm is not exactly confidence inspiring.......

If your alternator was charging the battery before you pulled the PCM, then the voltage regulator is fine.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Yeah! Kinda what I told them when they said the hardware is fine and the software is bad???? Hell, they couldn't just hit control,alt,delete and reprogrammed it and charged me when nothing was wrong or just said they hit control/alt/delete and did nothing and still charged me $225! I told them their answers smelled very fishy????? I questioned there every motive? He has no idea how bad his company will get smeared if it was in fact a snow job!!! Could've got that here in Alaska! So here I sit. Standing by on the USPS now!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If they think 'the software failed'...... I think they are full of horse hockey. If an electrical problem smoked the programming, then the PCM would be toast.... and likely the truck wouldn't run at all.......

So, not only do you have snow outside, you are getting snow over the phone as well.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles