2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter Staying Locked and No Power in Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

It's possible...... No clue how to test that though.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Brokendodge96
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll do some research and maybe some experimenting with it. Hopefully something fixes it

Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 PM
Brokendodge96
Amateur

Another update, went to go for a drive today to the shop (to have synchro done) and she quit on me twice so had to head home. Messed around with the distributor a little to see if I could get any closer to center and turning it equally either way killed it. Definitely having that done sooner rather than later. Typically TCC are changed during trains rebuilds, although I was wondering if that could also be a part of the problem. I checked the CEL flash codes when I got back as well which came up with an 11 and 21 which are crank and 02 related. The crank is most likely when tried to start it and it didn't want to (which has happened before). And the 21 is what I assume to be the same downstream 02 sensor that I put the non fouler on. I was ticked enough that I ALMOST traded it for a Ford today.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Crank sensor would definitely make it stop running. If you decide to replace it, be sure and get a genuine mopar sensor. These trucks don't really care for the aftermarket fellers.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 AM
Brokendodge96
Amateur

I replace it about a month ago but maybe I'll order a genuine one

Old 09-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Brokendodge96
Amateur

Update:
As I was messing around with the crank sensor bolts I noticed that every time I wiggled the wires the fuel pump would turn on (the key was in the on position but not running obviously). At first I thought it was a fluke but it became apparent that something wasn't right. Anyways, I put the old one back in and voila she's been running not half bad ever since. It has some cracks in the wire so I ordered one from the dealer as well. However my overdrive still doesn't have any power and I am still stuck as to why that is. On the plus side, my cruise control started working for some reason and although I've heard that the overdrive may work well while in cruise sadly mine did not change so back to the drawing board

Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Brokendodge96
Amateur

Went to the dealer to ask for the schematic. They said that this was the best they had and I haven't been able to find much else on the google in relation to overdrive. Might help someone else out if they need it too.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Brokendodge96
Amateur
Smile

About a month ago I went on a whim from a shop and threw in a new valve body. Turns out the one that was put in during the rebuild was defective internally (check ball or something). Fooled many shops because the sensors were all doing what they were supposed to so nothing red flagged or set an codes. Worked perfectly until I probably pushed it a little too hard in the swamp and now it starts in second unless I put it in first manually. Regardless though, it turned out the initial problem was the VB. I appreciate all those who took time to help out along the way! :thumbsup:

Old 04-07-2020, 10:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokendodge96
About a month ago I went on a whim from a shop and threw in a new valve body. Turns out the one that was put in during the rebuild was defective internally (check ball or something). Fooled many shops because the sensors were all doing what they were supposed to so nothing red flagged or set an codes. Worked perfectly until I probably pushed it a little too hard in the swamp and now it starts in second unless I put it in first manually. Regardless though, it turned out the initial problem was the VB. I appreciate all those who took time to help out along the way! :thumbsup:
The non fouler trick did you do it on the O2 sensor or the spark plugs?

Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 AM
Brokendodge96
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The non fouler trick did you do it on the O2 sensor or the spark plugs?
I did it on the 02 sensor and still working like a charm, no more CEL

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Staying Locked and No Power in Overdrive