2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering gear adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering gear adjustment

I am currently adjusting the steering gear to eliminate "free play"" in the steering wheel (causing wandering on the road).
I have adjusted the screw 5-6 times and I have probably turned the screw 2 or more complete revolutions. the steering wheel has less freeplay but still has some.
Has anyone had to adjust their steering gear this much?
Does the adjusting screw bottom out (will not turn anymore) at some point?

95 dodge ram 360

thanks

Old 08-29-2019, 06:01 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jtcowan
I am currently adjusting the steering gear to eliminate "free play"" in the steering wheel (causing wandering on the road).
I have adjusted the screw 5-6 times and I have probably turned the screw 2 or more complete revolutions. the steering wheel has less freeplay but still has some.
Has anyone had to adjust their steering gear this much?
Does the adjusting screw bottom out (will not turn anymore) at some point?

95 dodge ram 360

thanks
Adjusting it usually means thew box is bad. Tighten it down to much and the box will grenade itself. There was a TSB when I worked at the Dodge garage to not touch the adjustment screw and to replace the box

Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

There are two adjustments you do on the steering box, both are detailed in the factory service manual. (get yours here.) Of course, part of that process is pulling the box out of the truck.......

I adjusted the box on my 96, (just the top screw) and it made a difference, I didn't do the second adjustment, as I didn't have the time/inclination to pull the box. It worked ok. Keep in mind, it is possible to make it TOO tight, and then the truck simply will NOT go in straight line.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Actually the gear may be to worn in the middle. If you adjust it in the center(going straight) then try full left or right to see if it feels the same. If it's ok in the center and tight at full lock then it's worn.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM
jtcowan
Rookie

thks for all the replys. I probably have a worn out box. I guess I will go ahead and replace it or put up with having to constantly steering to maintain a straight line. 259,000 miles on truck

Old 08-30-2019, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

I think you got your moneys worth out of that box.....

If you decide to replace it, skip the cardone remans. They suck, and are likely worse than what you already have. Get a red head, borgeson, or even a blue-top box. Costs more, but, MUCH higher quality.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would also have to add, get the oem box rebuilt. I bought a Cardone and it was a bit cheaper than having it rebuilt and after a few years, no issues. Although the steering ratio seems a bit different. You can add a line filter to the return line, my Cardone came with one.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:19 PM
jtcowan
Rookie

what company would any of you recommend that I consider for rebuilding my current steering box?

Old 12-24-2019, 09:53 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Default steering box replaced

Well, I have replaced the box. In spite of the advice on this forum to go with a high quality box (red head) , I decided to purchase an Oreilly auto parts reman MasterPro steering gear box. the reason is I only need 5-7 more years (40,000 miles) out of the truck so I wanted a cheaper replacement so I took the gamble. the box comes with a lifetime warranty so if I need to I can get a replacement at no charge.

When I installed the box to the frame, I attached the steering column connector to the imput gear to the box. I had someone turn the steering wheel so I could verify that the output gear (to the pitman arm) moved when the input gear moved (no freeplay). It looked good. I then completed hooking the box to the pitman arm and both hose connections.

I took it for a ride in the neighborhood (up to 50 MPH) and it felt good. I will know more when i take it for a longer ride up to 70 MPH. But right now i am pleased with the box. If i have problems i will update this thread with details.

Following is my experience with filling and burping the system. If interested, read on:

1. I filled the resovoir to the cold level with power steering fluid.
2. I turned the steering wheel lock to lock 2-3 times. (the front wheels are off the ground). engine is off.
3. Checked the fluid. the fluid did not go down.
4. I cranked the engine for about 1 second. checked level. it went down. added fluid.
5. I cranked the engine. there was a squealing sound (probably the pump). could not turn steering wheel. cut engine off. checked fluid. fluid was low. added fluid.
6. Repeated step 5, 3 or 4 more times. each time the squealing was less and the steering wheel was easier to turn. eventually there was no squealing and the steering wheel could turn lock to lock with no
resistance.
7. Took it for a short ride down the street. checked fluid. was low. added fluid.
8. Went for a longer ride in the neighborhood and the fluid level was ok.
9. Drove it about 10 miles. checked fluid. level good. the longer distance insured the fluid was hot so i could use the hot level indicatior on the dip stick.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:59 PM
jtcowan
Rookie

One more TIP when filling/burping power steering system.

When i checked the fluid level, I could see very small air bubbles on the dipstick and the fluid has a light color tint to it.
When all the air was removed, the fluid had a more normal, consistent color and you could not see the small bubbles any more.
So, examine the fluid on the dipstick very closely

Quick Reply: steering gear adjustment