2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Your dash will work regardless which way you decide to go, just reuse the original dodge factory sensors. I couldn't find any adapters to go from chevy to mopar transmission. IMO, the chevy transmissions are better than the dodge. A 4L80 has similar gear ratio's to the 46re and is a superior design than the dodge. I would stay with the chevy driveline if you do a swap, you will have a better package that way.

You can find wrecked running chevy/dodge hemi trucks for under $2k if you want to do a swap
Not the case.

EVERYTHING in his dash runs on the communications bus, even the gas gauge, and oil pressure gauge. Without the communications bus, there is no information for the cluster to display.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not the case.

EVERYTHING in his dash runs on the communications bus, even the gas gauge, and oil pressure gauge. Without the communications bus, there is no information for the cluster to display.
Dang canbus, I forgot about that. Honestly you could make your own gauge cluster, a few nice auto meter gauges would be alot better than the factory stuff. The stock tach only goes to 6000 rpm, a stock LS motor can push above that pretty easy. Add a camshaft/springs you probably make power till 7000 rpm's, chit the LS3 heads flows mega air at 0.600-0.700 lift, stuff we magnum guys could only dream about.

The real trick is to find a manual tcase that bolts to 4l80e or 6L90 transmission. Most these days are electronic, but you could always rig something up.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 12-13-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:40 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
If you are considering a LS, I would find a complete truck, or at least a complete dropout, which usually includes cut off driveshafts, all accessories, wiring harness, computer, and the manifolds with the start of the head pipes.

JMO, but modifying a dodge and cheap should not be used in the same sentence.......

On another note, Blueprint engines are offering a 408 magnum shortblock for 2799. but you will still need heads, cam, and all the other little things to go along....
The fellow I referenced would have all accessories, brackets wiring harness, computer and manifold included. Engine freshened up with a Corvette cam, rebuilt heads, and resealed with new gaskets everywhere as a minimum. Different options for headers, custom builds, and transmissions available.

I was leaning towards a 408 build, but that would be around $7000-$8000 CDN+(!), not including install. If I have the shop do it, I can add about $2000 to that bill.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Your dash will work regardless which way you decide to go, just reuse the original dodge factory sensors. I couldn't find any adapters to go from chevy to mopar transmission. IMO, the chevy transmissions are better than the dodge. A 4L80 has similar gear ratio's to the 46re and is a superior design than the dodge. I would stay with the chevy driveline if you do a swap, you will have a better package that way.

You can find wrecked running chevy/dodge hemi trucks for under $2k if you want to do a swap
My tranny is built more to 47re specs now. Will handle 450+ ft/lb, and was warrantied for 100 000 miles. Probably the biggest issue is the lack of lubrication in park, which I never idle in, now. Also took out the check valve which is prone to plugging. I can get a Chev transmission cheap, but it may be well used and abused.

Not much for under $2000 that isn't thrashed. Sounds like the Hemis aren't too straightforward either to swap.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Most to the 'shift kits' available for the 46-8 transmissions have the installer drill a specific hole, so the t/c actually charges in park.

The following users liked this post:
Tactical Lever (12-15-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:47 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional

You can adjust the 4l80E line pressure and shift points with a programmer. They last pretty decent and are cheap.

The 47re is just adding extra (thinner) clutches in with a different pressure plate. My last 47re, had 48re parts inside (7 clutches forward, 6 clutches direct and 10 od clutches). Triple clutch billet converter. Billet input/intermediate/output everything and it still failed. I hate dodge transmissions, they just dont last when you put the power to them.

My 46re is on its last leg, I'm going to rip it apart this spring and see why. Probably just burnt clutches.

The newer GM transmissions and GM tuning is better than our old dodge stuff.

I changed the motor in my truck (318in) last year in a few days, its actually not that bad of job. When I bought my truck, the engine has no oil pressure (the previous owner never changed oil and had a bad coolant leak). Beside just being heavily gunked-up inside, the engine was in pretty decent shape. The oil pick-up tube was plugged, lol.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:59 AM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

You can adjust the 4l80E line pressure and shift points with a programmer. They last pretty decent and are cheap.

The 47re is just adding extra (thinner) clutches in with a different pressure plate. My last 47re, had 48re parts inside (7 clutches forward, 6 clutches direct and 10 od clutches). Triple clutch billet converter. Billet input/intermediate/output everything and it still failed. I hate dodge transmissions, they just dont last when you put the power to them.

My 46re is on its last leg, I'm going to rip it apart this spring and see why. Probably just burnt clutches.

The newer GM transmissions and GM tuning is better than our old dodge stuff.

I changed the motor in my truck (318in) last year in a few days, its actually not that bad of job. When I bought my truck, the engine has no oil pressure (the previous owner never changed oil and had a bad coolant leak). Beside just being heavily gunked-up inside, the engine was in pretty decent shape. The oil pick-up tube was plugged, lol.
Never thought that one transmission would be weaker than another if it was built to handle the power. The shop that I had the work done at specializes in full tilt race/pulling transmissions for diesel trucks. Mainly Dodge IIRC. From what I can gather the 46, 47 and 48 are fairly similar, and the 46 can be built very strong, right up to 48re specs IIRC. The 48re out of the box handles pretty big torque.

Had a quick look on the company's site that rebuilt my transmission, and they advertise heavy duty transmissions for Ford, GM, and Dodge. Ford and GM have the option of getting a competition transmission that will handle up to 800 rear wheel horsepower, but for the 5.9 Cummins they advertise the top build being capable of handling over 800 RWHP! Not 100% sure, but I think that 800 RWHP out of the Cummins extrapolates to something like 2000 ft/lb.

So if they can make a Dodge transmission handle that kind of power and warranty it, why couldn't they make a transmission that handles a quarter of that much torque reliable? Honest question.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The 47 and 48 transmissions also have more planetary gears on various parts. I think the 46 has 4, 47 has 6, and the 48 has 7 or 8..... the parts are also heavier duty. As for the more clutches in the 46, most manufacturers do that by making the apply piston thinner, the clutches are the same dimensions as stock.

Tactical Lever (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:18 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Sorry I forgot that this is a gasser, I still remember going thru a few very expensive transmissions. You should be fine. When I bought my 2010 dodge 3500 diesel, everyone told me that 68rfe where junk as well. I never owned a NADP built transmission

Depending on how much power you have, will determine how long the transmission will live. I cant wait to see what you get built.

Tactical Lever (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The 47 and 48 transmissions also have more planetary gears on various parts. I think the 46 has 4, 47 has 6, and the 48 has 7 or 8..... the parts are also heavier duty. As for the more clutches in the 46, most manufacturers do that by making the apply piston thinner, the clutches are the same dimensions as stock.
Not sure; I thought that they would have the same number of gears to do the same thing in a "heavier duty cycle". But then again, I'm not a transmission guy, and there's a reason that I had them do it. I believe that they were recommended first, and the other reason is that I would still be kicking transmission parts underneath shelving, if left to my own devices...

From what I read, they are pretty similar. When I talked to the guy originally at NADP, I told him that I wanted more friction material, firmer shifts with less slip, a good billet torque converter, and that I tow a little, 4x4, and want it to be able to handle some abuse and more power. Also got a bigger pan. I think that I ended up with a 46 built like a 47?

Quick Reply: Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...