2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical Lever
I don't think boost is in my budget unless I get a wrecker turbo, and do the fab myself. What kind of mileage engines were going for $2000? Coming with transmission, as well? So if I am doing the math right, it would be $2000 (GM) +$400 (estimated driveshaft) + $1400 (FI estimated, our price?) + odds and ends? I'm getting around $4000 for the package, which sounds all right if it's low mileage and I could count on getting another 160 000 km out of it trouble free. I don't want to spend lots of money, but that sounds pretty close to a stout Magnum rebuild.
Your probably close to what it would cost. I was thinking $5k cdn.

The cheapest way to get the magnum to work and make power, is to run a carb (check engine light), but then your 46re transmission will need the TPS sensor hooked up. Most of my diesel builds I just removed the check engine light from the dash, problem fixed.

Here is a picture of my 2002 cummins ram (I bought new and got 452000km's on it) and my kid, a few years ago.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 12-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Your probably close to what it would cost. I was thinking $5k cdn.

The cheapest way to get the magnum to work and make power, is to run a carb (check engine light), but then your 46re transmission will need the TPS sensor hooked up. Most of my diesel builds I just removed the check engine light from the dash, problem fixed.

Here is a picture of my 2002 cummins ram (I bought new and got 452000km's on it) and my kid, a few years ago.
I didn't think I would be able to run my transmission with a carbed engine. Thought that I "needed" the FI system for that. I'm fine with carbs.

The more I think about it, I'm starting to favour a non stroked power plant built to about 400-ish HP.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been researching this for a few years now, and if you dont mind, I would like to share my opinion.
First, I know Mike from a Corvette Forum. We have posted back and forth in the past. And FWIW he really seems to know his stuff and seems to use a lot of common sense in his projects.
I have a 87 dakota 4wd and a 5 speed. So far, I have put a 8.8 rear end in it with disc brakes, swapped out the NV2500 trans for the NV3500. and have put 2 electric fan between the condenser and the radiator. (like was used on the shelby dakota)
I really looked hard at putting a LS motor in the truck and let me start by telling the advantages IMO.
1. Lighter weight,
2. Factory heads flow better then a ported set of magnum heads.

3. Factory block will take 1,000 hp. It has 6 bolt mains.
4. With a cam change, and some porting on the factory heads, along with headers, They can make 550-600 hp. NA.
5. The factory computers are easy to hack, as well as using a factory wiring harness. Tons of information on how to hook it up.
6. Parts are cheap compared to mopar.
7. The transmission shift points are all programmable.
8. Tuners on every corner.
9. Unlimited aftermarket support.

All of that being said, I have decided to go with a 5.9 magnum. and let me tell you why.
1. I want to keep a manual transmission. That being said, not much out there besides the NV3500 that will fit a dakota, and at least half ways shifts like a car, (ie, no. granny gear, and wide ratios)
2. The 5.9 magnum will bolt up to my motor mounts. Along with a Edelbrock 7577 manifold ($400.00), 670 holley carb (I already have), and an electronic ignition from mopar ($150.00). It should go in pretty easy.
3. Latter, I can add a small cam, and maybe a set of better heads, and be around 300-350 hp. And that will be at the limits of a NV3500 transmission.

If I had an automatic, I would have gone LS, but I worried that it would be too much hassle with a manual transmission with shifter location, etc.

One other point I want to make.
You may make 400 + hp with the 5.9 magnum NA, But it will never be as smooth or have the potential of the LS especially if you try to push it further.
The above is JMO so take it for what its worth.

The following 2 users liked this post by 93 ragtop:
Mike Holmen (12-10-2019), Tactical Lever (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Lever, I think you only need to run TPS sensor for the transmission to work.. I've done electronic to mechanical swaps on diesels and all I need was the TPS for the transmission. Not exactly sure what the computer uses it for, maybe the TC lock-up (you could do that manually).

You could make a TPS sensor work on a carb.I was going to make my own kit to do that, if I was going to run a carb.

I saw this on jegs, but only works on Holley 4150/4160 carbs
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/534-202/10002/-1

Thanks for the kinda words 93 ragtop.

The following users liked this post:
Tactical Lever (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Doing a little more research into this LS retrofit, and found a company that sells what sounds like "freshened up" LS engines, disassembled, cleaned, inspected, resealed with rebuilt heads for $3333 CDN. Sounds like a fair variety of extras, including tuning and transmission options are available. I believe this bears more looking into.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

So, opinions on transmissions? I'd really like to keep the 46RE, as it's beefed right up, and fresh. Not to mention, I'd rather not have to make custom driveshafts. Looking for adapters and it looks way more expensive than I thought. Any good source that doesn't cost an arm and leg?

Old 12-12-2019, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Adapters to the mopar trans are going to make hens teeth look downright common, and yep, they are gonna be pricey, in a major way. Not many folks still supporting these trucks..... Last one rolled off the assembly line about 19 years ago......

Still might end up being cheaper picking up a nice 5.9 long block, transferring your externals to it, and getting a custom tune. (implies you don't buy a 'stock' long block, but, pick up something with a bit more performance. )

Old 12-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Adapters to the mopar trans are going to make hens teeth look downright common, and yep, they are gonna be pricey, in a major way. Not many folks still supporting these trucks..... Last one rolled off the assembly line about 19 years ago......

Still might end up being cheaper picking up a nice 5.9 long block, transferring your externals to it, and getting a custom tune. (implies you don't buy a 'stock' long block, but, pick up something with a bit more performance. )
Maybe. I think that the easier and cheaper way to get good power is going to a carb. Or so I hear. But then is it a pain to get all my instruments to work?

As for adapting, IIRC, it would be the same as going to a 727, 47re, and 48re. Kind I sounds like they all have a bit of a following. I think I saw something, but for about $1200(!).

Old 12-13-2019, 07:55 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

If you are considering a LS, I would find a complete truck, or at least a complete dropout, which usually includes cut off driveshafts, all accessories, wiring harness, computer, and the manifolds with the start of the head pipes.

JMO, but modifying a dodge and cheap should not be used in the same sentence.......

On another note, Blueprint engines are offering a 408 magnum shortblock for 2799. but you will still need heads, cam, and all the other little things to go along....

Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Your dash will work regardless which way you decide to go, just reuse the original dodge factory sensors. I couldn't find any adapters to go from chevy to mopar transmission. IMO, the chevy transmissions are better than the dodge. A 4L80 has similar gear ratio's to the 46re and is a superior design than the dodge. I would stay with the chevy driveline if you do a swap, you will have a better package that way.

You can find wrecked running chevy/dodge hemi trucks for under $2k if you want to do a swap

Quick Reply: Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...