2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:52 AM
Tactical Lever
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Sorry I forgot that this is a gasser, I still remember going thru a few very expensive transmissions. You should be fine. When I bought my 2010 dodge 3500 diesel, everyone told me that 68rfe where junk as well. I never owned a NADP built transmission

Depending on how much power you have, will determine how long the transmission will live. I cant wait to see what you get built.
The Dodge execution could be better. A couple little things that could be changed probably would change the longevity and opinions of the transmissions by quite a bit. Valving, check valve delete, torque converter, more cooling, and not towing in top gear would probably would do it. Most guys just run them without a second thought, and problems crop up. On the other hand, some guys get some pretty high mileage out of them without too much problem.

Out here, I used to go to the lounges and little bars a lot more often, and as soon as there's a little snow on the ground, those diesels stay running half the night!

The NADP guys in Edmonton are pretty good. I had a more local shop change out the transmission for me. I noticed that it seemed to lose a little fluid, and it took me a long time to get around to taking it down to them. I think I was within a few days of my 3 year warranty when I took it back for an appointment to have them look at it. Had to leave it with them for a day or 2. The guy at the counter said it took a little longer because it was a custom transmission. I think they freshened it up, and adjusted it for me! Didn't pay a thing. Performs well, so I'm pretty impressed.

Probably similar work to Suncoast that I hear good things about. They build a really stout Dodge transmission, too.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical Lever
Not sure; I thought that they would have the same number of gears to do the same thing in a "heavier duty cycle". But then again, I'm not a transmission guy, and there's a reason that I had them do it. I believe that they were recommended first, and the other reason is that I would still be kicking transmission parts underneath shelving, if left to my own devices...

From what I read, they are pretty similar. When I talked to the guy originally at NADP, I told him that I wanted more friction material, firmer shifts with less slip, a good billet torque converter, and that I tow a little, 4x4, and want it to be able to handle some abuse and more power. Also got a bigger pan. I think that I ended up with a 46 built like a 47?
All of the transmissions have planetary gear-sets. They are all four speeds, with locking converter. The heavier duty transmissions simply have more pinion gears in the planetaries than the 46. Here's some pics.

Quick Reply: Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...