2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake and plenum

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:45 PM
soloflite
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake and plenum

Hey guys, I understand the intake bolts are NOT TTY, but are the plenum bolts? I'm also going to do the upgrade, but found this site: https://plenumrepairplate.com/ vice the $93 plate at hughes. If you click the buy now, it's $64, but if you add to cart and check out, it's $75. has anyone shopped here? Looks like someone making them on his own and selling, but wasn't sure if they've been in the forum or not. Do you think it's a scam site??

Also, looking at buying these ARP intake bolts, I'm almost 100% sure they will work, thoughts?? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...2000/overview/. I'll just get 3 packs. I also looked at the mopar performance bolts, but they are 2 3/4" bolts, which is odd, I measured my original ones at 2". WTH?

thanks in advance!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

The hughes kit also comes with bolts and gaskets..... so, it is actually cheaper than that one. But, in all reality, you don't need the plate. The problem isn't dissimilar metals, it's bolts that are too long, and a cheap gasket. Shorter bolts, or simply cutting the '****' off the existing bolts, combined with a GOOD quality gasket (Fel Pro), and the problem is solved.

As for the bolts, if they are the correct size, thread pitch, etc, they will work fine. I would not re-use the original bolts...... they break way to easy.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my own machine shop at home, so made my own aluminum plate a few years ago. Had to replace the screws anyway due to the increased thickness of the plate. I agree that the quality if the gasket is the key to a successful repair.
Mike Sal

Old 10-30-2019, 02:57 PM
soloflite
Professional

Ok, so the ARP bolts I listed are for the intake, not the plenum. I don't/won't re-use the intake bolts. are the above bolts correct?

Hey YOu, you state bolts too long? are you talking about the intake bolts or the plenum bolts? Also can I re-use the plenum bolts? If you state i don't need the kit, I'll keep this, am using good gaskets.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:03 PM
soloflite
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The hughes kit also comes with bolts and gaskets..... so, it is actually cheaper than that one. But, in all reality, you don't need the plate. The problem isn't dissimilar metals, it's bolts that are too long, and a cheap gasket. Shorter bolts, or simply cutting the '****' off the existing bolts, combined with a GOOD quality gasket (Fel Pro), and the problem is solved.

As for the bolts, if they are the correct size, thread pitch, etc, they will work fine. I would not re-use the original bolts...... they break way to easy.
Heyyou, you also recommend the kit in other posts, why different opinion now? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2475167

Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

The problem isn't dissimilar metals, it's bolts that are too long, and a cheap gasket. Shorter bolts, or simply cutting the '****' off the existing bolts, combined with a GOOD quality gasket (Fel Pro), and the problem is solved.
Well the thin plate the factory used does bend/warp allowing the gasket to move/come out. That's why i replaced it with the Hughes. Much thicker and keeps even force on the gasket. The pic on the Hughes site proves the gasket comes out. I believe there was a thread about the "upgraded(thicker)" plate the factory sold somewhere.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by soloflite
Ok, so the ARP bolts I listed are for the intake, not the plenum. I don't/won't re-use the intake bolts. are the above bolts correct?

Hey YOu, you state bolts too long? are you talking about the intake bolts or the plenum bolts? Also can I re-use the plenum bolts? If you state i don't need the kit, I'll keep this, am using good gaskets.
The plenum plate bolts are too long.

I don't know if the ARP bolts will work for the intake. If they are the correct size/thread pitch/length, they should be fine.

The gasket squirts out of the stock plenum plate, because as the gasket ages, it hardens, and shrinks, so, there is less clamping force holding it in place, which allows it to escape. Bunch of folks on here have simply installed a better quality gasket, and shorter bolts, and had zero issues with it.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Hero6
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done the plenum fix on 2 trucks, a 99 and a 97, that had never been apart. Both times I have been able to run the bolts all the way in with the plenum plate off. I hear a lot of people say the bolts are too long and bottom out, but I haven't seen that personally. I just used a fel-pro gasket and reassembled and have not had an issue.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:59 AM
soloflite
Professional

So I can re-use the plenum bolts, correct?? are they TTY? I understand you state that they are too long, can nip off a bit or even easier, add some washers, but after 197k, my gasket, believe it or not, hadn't blown out, so I'm assuming I can just get a quality gasket in there and re-use the bolts as is and not have a problem.

Last edited by soloflite; 10-31-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hero6
I have done the plenum fix on 2 trucks, a 99 and a 97, that had never been apart. Both times I have been able to run the bolts all the way in with the plenum plate off. I hear a lot of people say the bolts are too long and bottom out, but I haven't seen that personally. I just used a fel-pro gasket and reassembled and have not had an issue.
And some trucks never have a problem with the plenum in any event. If you poke around here, you will find pics other folks have posted of their plenum bolts threaded in till they bottom out, and it's patently obvious that the gasket would never seal...... It's luck of the draw.

Originally Posted by soloflite
So I can re-use the plenum bolts, correct?? are they TTY? I understand you state that they are too long, can nip off a bit or even easier, add some washers, but after 197k, my gasket, believe it or not, hadn't blown out, so I'm assuming I can just get a quality gasket in there and re-use the bolts as is and not have a problem.
Yep, you can re-use the bolts, washers would work fine.

Quick Reply: Intake and plenum