2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to buy a brass heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 02:32 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where to buy a brass heater core?

I did a search; a lot of the threads are old (good how-to info though!).

Anyways; 1996 Ram 1500 4x4 with the dreaded heater core leak. I'll fix it myself - only want to do this once. All I'm finding are aluminum heater cores. Even Rock Auto (my usual go-to place for parts) doesn't list any brass heater cores (but I sent them an email asking just-in-case).

So has anyone bought one RECENTLY and didn't pay a fortune for it?

GENOs lists one, but they say it is for a 2500/3500 - 5.9. I don't think there'd be a difference with my 1500, but you never know. I sent them an email asking if it'll work in my application.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...r-conditioning

Thanks.

Last edited by armynurse; 12-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:36 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Someone must be working the weekend at Rock Auto. Already got a response:

Dear Mr. ************,

All of the information we have on the products we sell is listed on our website. Please see our Help page: Choosing a Part.

If you're not seeing the details you are looking for, we do not have them. That also means they are not important for fitment. The manufacturer always lists the details that will be important to determine if the part will fit your vehicle.

Thank you,

Jordan

RockAuto Customer Service

RockAuto HELP
http://www.rockauto.com

Ok... so they really don't carry brass heater cores anymore.

Last edited by armynurse; 12-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:08 PM
armynurse
Veteran

LMC Truck sells a heater core, but it is aluminum (part # 55-4610)

https://www.lmctruck.com/1994-15-dod...ter-components

I also checked on-line with NAPA and O'Reilly's. Both only sell aluminum heater cores.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:19 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by armynurse
GENOs lists one, but they say it is for a 2500/3500 - 5.9. I don't think there'd be a difference with my 1500, but you never know. I sent them an email asking if it'll work in my application.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...r-conditioning

Thanks.
Made a quick comparison from rockauto catalog, and heater core is the same from 1500 to 3500. No chassis or engine specific. So I'd say GENOs heater core fits.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

One size fits all but I highly recommend the swivel tube version to get it to fit. Easy part is cutting the old one out. Unless you're completely removing the dash, get the swivel. But why do you need brass? Aluminum is better and lasts longer. We have aluminum radiators and evaporators and mines over 20 yrs old.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Why brass over aluminum? Legit question. I've been doing a lot of research on this forum from folks who have done this fix, and it seems folks generally think the brass ones are better quality over the aluminum ones. And I think the swivels are just one more place for them to leak. We'll see how I feel once I start tearing into the dash. The aluminum ones are cheaper, but if the job is going to be the pain most folks say it is, I only want to do this thing once. Fortunately the truck is no longer my daily driver, so if half-way into it I decide I need to get a swivel one, the truck will just have to sit disassembled until I get the swivel heater core.

And I'm figuring the one for my 1500 truck is the same as the 2500/3500 (you would think everything from the firewall back would be the same), but I want Geno's to tell me before I order it and I start taking apart the dash only to find out the ones for the diesel are slightly different than for the gas engines in the 1500 series trucks.

And I already got an email back from Geno's saying I should have an answer by Monday.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Heater core will be the same across the board. The cab is exactly the same across the line, all of the interior parts are interchangeable.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

^^^^^^^ Just to add clarification, Heyyou means year to year. Not all 2nd gens are the same.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 372 Likes on 350 Posts

Did mine 3 times, Original had been clogged up with radiator stop leak( from the dealer i got it from because it had a freeze plug leak). Pulled out the entire hvac unit and replaced both the heater core and evaporator. I got the heater core from Napa(brass) and it lasted about a year until it sprang a leak. replaced it with the aluminum OE style(no swivel) and working fine ever since. I wouldn't get the swivel style because i have heard they start to leak at the swivel joint. There is a work around if you don't want to remove the entire hvac unit. You have to cut the tubes coming from the core and add heater hose to both pieces. Not the best solution but i have seen it done. One thing i did notice with the aftermarket pieces(both brass and aluminum) they don't have as many tubes in the core itself as compared to the OEM one. Although i have no issues with aluminum one as it heats the cab no problem even with a 180 stat. Don't rely on rockauto to have everything that is out there. Have seen parts that they don't have being available elsewhere. They even list parts that say (only X number available) and once that runs out they don't stock it any more.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:30 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the radiator repair shops.They might be able to rebuild yours.Just a thought...........................

Quick Reply: Where to buy a brass heater core?