2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hydroboost conversion ABS question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM
JWat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydroboost conversion ABS question

My power steering pump is going out on my 99 v10 4x4. I have a parts truck (2000 v10 2wd) with a hydroboost set up on it. I have decided I want to install the hydroboost system on my 99. Most everything looks like it will bolt strait up. My question is about the ABS module. The module on the 2000 is way different than the one on my 99. There are also only 2 brake lines on the 99 sending juice to the brakes from the ABS fuster cluck epicenter where as on the 2000 there are 3 lines. I have not yet crawled under the 2000 to see where the extra line goes.

So why are the 2 modules so different and do I need to install the one from the 2000 on to my 99? I have heard that when you swap ABS modules that the ECM sees the different vin number and the ABS light comes on but I have never seen it. In fact I swapped an ABS mod a while back from a 99 1500 and put it on an 01 1500 and my issue with that was resolved with no problems but I realize this is different situation.

Thanks for any help!

The following users liked this post:
rebeltaz83 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Grab the pump, lines, and hydraboost unit from the donor. Use the master cylinder currently on your truck, and leave everything else as is. No need to mess with anything else, all you are doing is changing the method of 'power' for the brakes. I love hydraboost. Wish I had it on my truck.

rebeltaz83 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:13 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Grab the pump, lines, and hydraboost unit from the donor. Use the master cylinder currently on your truck, and leave everything else as is. No need to mess with anything else, all you are doing is changing the method of 'power' for the brakes. I love hydraboost. Wish I had it on my truck.
I was kinda thinking the same on my 91, but I'm wondering if the electric pump setup from a charger/Challenger would work. But does it work when running at speed when you don't really need power steering, or is it speed sensitive and activate when say, parking lot type of maneuvering?? I don't want to install it and have it pump all the time if it isn't suppose to. Pump on CL I could get. Looks like 2 lines, and 2 wires.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think the electric pump is an 'on demand' kind of thing, i.e. it doesn't run constantly. Adapting that may be fun.....

Old 12-18-2019, 08:58 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think the electric pump is an 'on demand' kind of thing, i.e. it doesn't run constantly. Adapting that may be fun.....
That was my thought too, being electric I didn't think it would pump all the time...... Toggle switch lol.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
That was my thought too, being electric I didn't think it would pump all the time...... Toggle switch lol.
Wire it to a relay on the brake light circuit.

But, you already have power steering. Hydraboost uses the same pump, just some additional plumbing.

rebeltaz83 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:09 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Why would you want a hydroboost on a gas truck? A vacuum booster is simple and more reliable, a hydroboost makes sense on a diesel since diesels don't produce vacuum like a gas engine does. Putting one on a gas truck just adds extra complications, GM uses hydroboost on a lot of their gas trucks and they always have issues with them leaking and needing replaced, they aren't cheap either.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Why would you want a hydroboost on a gas truck? A vacuum booster is simple and more reliable, a hydroboost makes sense on a diesel since diesels don't produce vacuum like a gas engine does. Putting one on a gas truck just adds extra complications, GM uses hydroboost on a lot of their gas trucks and they always have issues with them leaking and needing replaced, they aren't cheap either.
A fair few gas powered vehicles also use hydraboost. Mainly the smaller vans GM produced, space was a major consideration there. I actually like the hydraboost better than the vacuum boost.... Yeah, it does add 'failure points', but, give a little, get a little.

Quick Reply: Hydroboost conversion ABS question