2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0740

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
that’s hilarious, need to find some help haha
My granddaughter has helped me in the past as well.... She's 12 now...... She was out there one day after coming home from church.... (so, all dressed up... nice skirt, etc.) and was getting ready to start handing me tools under the truck, till I noticed what she was wearing. I would've been dead meat if I got her dirty.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My granddaughter has helped me in the past as well.... She's 12 now...... She was out there one day after coming home from church.... (so, all dressed up... nice skirt, etc.) and was getting ready to start handing me tools under the truck, till I noticed what she was wearing. I would've been dead meat if I got her dirty.
I always end up alone doing big jobs like dropping the transmission

Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

One of the reasons I farm them out now..... I simply can't do them by myself any more..... and my kids don't even live in the same state. Some of my grandkids are old enough now, but, they either have no interest in learning this stuff, or, have other things they would rather be doing. Granddaughter still comes and hangs out once in a while, but, she is getting to the age that her friends are more fun. Ah well. Life goes on.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:20 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

One of the reasons I farm them out now..... I simply can't do them by myself any more..... and my kids don't even live in the same state. Some of my grandkids are old enough now, but, they either have no interest in learning this stuff, or, have other things they would rather be doing. Granddaughter still comes and hangs out once in a while, but, she is getting to the age that her friends are more fun. Ah well. Life goes on.
I have friends that just don't want to learn, or they show up but didn't expect it to be so "dirty"

Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I have friends that just don't want to learn, or they show up but didn't expect it to be so "dirty"
A buncha years back, I was working on a mustang II, with the famous plastic cam gear. The gear had disintegrated, and dropped into the oil pan..... I didn't want to go thru the effort of dropping the pan, so, I "bribed" our babysitter, who had very small hands.... to reach in there, and clean everything out. She gave me an odd look, but, when I offered her 20 bucks..... she was all for it. I wish I could have got a video of that. The look on her face as she stuck her hand in there was hilarious.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

A buncha years back, I was working on a mustang II, with the famous plastic cam gear. The gear had disintegrated, and dropped into the oil pan..... I didn't want to go thru the effort of dropping the pan, so, I "bribed" our babysitter, who had very small hands.... to reach in there, and clean everything out. She gave me an odd look, but, when I offered her 20 bucks..... she was all for it. I wish I could have got a video of that. The look on her face as she stuck her hand in there was hilarious.
Good times of the past. You want to relive them but mother time says no.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:50 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
so I just pull those bolts in the photo, there’s probably 7-8 and have a look. What should I be looking for ?

then suppose I find the source, is there a way to seal it within. Other then gambling on some stop leak which I dislike or pulling the tranny out?
There really isn't much room to see the actual seal, but you will see the ATF coming behind the torque converter. Only viable solution is to change the seal.
I'm at the same boat, need to change the seal. My truck has bern sitting for two months because safety inspection expired, so I thought that I'd run it to the normal temp, but noticed that there's a puddle forming under the truck. Thought it was engine oil, but closer look revealed it to be ATF. Fun times, can't take it to my work as the leak is so severe so I'm pulling the trans in my front yard.

Quick Reply: P0740