2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

common rust area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default common rust area?

Hello all! I've noticed a certain spot inside the cab that seems to rust severely, and I wonder why that is? my truck, my dad's, and a spare (all 2nd gens) have the same area rusted, nowhere else. It's very odd in my opinion. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Old 04-04-2020, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Drivers footwell. The spot where there is ALWAYS someone sitting, when the truck is moving. If you live in an area where you actually see snow, then you get an accumulation of salt water there is well.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

That's odd, I can certainly understand in snowy/beachy cities/areas, but I'm from texas, frigid weather is not common, and I live an hour away from the nearest beach, so I'm baffled. Is there a way to repair the rusty area?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

It's probably just surface rust. You can use chemicals, or a wire brush on a drill to clean it up, then paint it. If there are holes, cut out the bad metal, weld in something new.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Ah, nope, nope! theres NO way I'm cutting anything off Red. It's Def not surface rust, this area is flaking, and "bubbly" could I possibly just paint over it with a rust converter or something?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Water can come in threw the third brake light and run down into the front depending on where you park it. Could be something running threw the firewall also where water can get in. Wire wheel would probably be the fastest.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:47 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

I love Dodge, but what the hell were they thinking, their seals are flawed.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:10 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
That's odd, I can certainly understand in snowy/beachy cities/areas, but I'm from texas, frigid weather is not common, and I live an hour away from the nearest beach, so I'm baffled. Is there a way to repair the rusty area?

It never rains where you live? You don't wash it and get in with wet shoes? The floor carpeting holds water. It doesn't have to be salty. Use a wire brush and get rid of the loose scale. It's not really metal anymore. Then you can use a rust converter. Now, I'm not a body man. What I know about body work you can write in a match book with a grease pencil. Since the truck has sentimental value, I would cut a patch of metal a little larger than the weakened spot and glue it down with something like rope adhesive like you put the windshield in with. This will reinforcae the floor so you don't go through the weakened spot if it's eat up really thin. Just remember to not dance on the thin spot.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It never rains where you live? You don't wash it and get in with wet shoes? The floor carpeting holds water. It doesn't have to be salty. Use a wire brush and get rid of the loose scale. It's not really metal anymore. Then you can use a rust converter. Now, I'm not a body man. What I know about body work you can write in a match book with a grease pencil. Since the truck has sentimental value, I would cut a patch of metal a little larger than the weakened spot and glue it down with something like rope adhesive like you put the windshield in with. This will reinforcae the floor so you don't go through the weakened spot if it's eat up really thin. Just remember to not dance on the thin spot.
Your username is very accurate, furthermore, the sarcarm was uncalled for, but to answer your absurd questions, it rains quite heavily, and I personally have never drove it with wet shoes, and she has rubber welled liners. She was driven by my mother prior to me, and she took care of this truck like her life depended on it. muddy/wet shoes in her truck were prohibited.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:20 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe cats were using it as a bathroom

Quick Reply: common rust area?