2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My V10 performance top end "swap"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 01:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
New branch of business to go into?
Would be my dream lol

Old 03-11-2022, 09:00 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

It would be nice to find a new thing to do. Might just have to make it happen, that way I can afford all the projects I have planned. I have an 01 2500 parts truck I'm robbing the axels out of for the 98 durango in my sig.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:08 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Only decent long arm it I seen is DOR but their reputation is horrible.
I have a DOR track bar, its nice, however the wait and communication was not. I decided it may be worth the wait since I trashed a new MOOG track bar in 4000k mile. I would love a long arm kit just not a priority right now. On top of the stuff in my sig I have some atvs, a snowmobile, and my daily driver Charger R/T. Takes a lot of time and money to maintain all that stuff. Thinking of selling some stuff here. Anyone want a modded polaris xplorer

Old 05-31-2022, 01:03 PM
Rodney Shell
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Been awhile since I updated this at all. Here is a quick 0-60 run. Planning to go to the dyno in May. Keep in my with me this truck is about 7400lbs with me in it and on 35s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdUvNcb9AHE
Have you beefed up the transmission yet? The stock 47rh is at its max with a stock V10 and I would suggest an upgrade torque converter too.

Last edited by Rodney Shell; 05-31-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:22 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rodney Shell
Have you beefed up the transmission yet? The stock 47rh is at its max with a stock V10 and I would suggest an upgrade torque converter too.
No I have not, this is a reman trans. Not sure on what's in it. Appears to be a stock reman from what I can tell.

UPDATE, no dyno day yet. The shop that does dyno testing and tuning has been so swamped the dyno operator has been helping the repair side catch up. I have been trying to get in, just need to be patient I guess. Word is they are 2 months behind on getting people scheduled better yet in.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

No I have not, this is a reman trans. Not sure on what's in it. Appears to be a stock reman from what I can tell.

UPDATE, no dyno day yet. The shop that does dyno testing and tuning has been so swamped the dyno operator has been helping the repair side catch up. I have been trying to get in, just need to be patient I guess. Word is they are 2 months behind on getting people scheduled better yet in.
That implies they are a good shop, and actually have an idea of what they are doing.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:10 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

I worked at the local dodge dealer at the same time as the owner, he was well versed in Chrysler. He's about my age and I'm about to turn 30. Made a name for himself with twin turbo ls builds. Unfortunately we had a guy who was phenomenal but got recruited down to Georgia tuning GTR's and lambos. Not that this guy is bad by any means, I'm just anxious to get in. If all goes well I might have him tune my '10 R/T AWD Charger. I know Dodge left some meat on the bottom end of that 5.7 to save the tires, however if you know how to get the AWD engaged that's not such an issue.........

Old 10-20-2022, 07:41 PM
BBlindt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im curious on your build cause I'm about to tear into my brother's v10's top end and we were thinking about doing a cam swap. The problem you had with the cam is because you had your old cam reground correct? If you went with a new cam you wouldn't have had to do the work to the cam gear correct? Im really thinking maybe a cam swap isn't a good idea after reading this.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:47 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BBlindt
So im curious on your build cause I'm about to tear into my brother's v10's top end and we were thinking about doing a cam swap. The problem you had with the cam is because you had your old cam reground correct? If you went with a new cam you wouldn't have had to do the work to the cam gear correct? Im really thinking maybe a cam swap isn't a good idea after reading this.
I was going to go with a new cam, I wanted more lift. However crower couldn't get a new core. The back order date kept changing until eventually it was over a year out. If you went with less duration you could get more lift than I got but I wanted some more top power, I had some other mods to help it flow anyways without needing the lift. If you get your cam re-ground that will change the centerline, therefore pin won't be in the same spot and you will have to degree in the cam. It happened to be almost exactly a tooth off. If it wasn't for the cam sensor, then you could just move it a tooth. But because the cam sensor and crank sensor set fuel sync you need to use those off-set bushings to keep the alignment. If you go through with this I could help explain more. The easiest thing to do would be higher ratio rockers but the v10s already have 1.7 rockers from the factory. (A very cheap way to get higher lift rockers for the 5.9/5.2 btw)

Old 10-29-2022, 10:55 PM
BBlindt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to go with a new cam, I wanted more lift. However crower couldn't get a new core. The back order date kept changing until eventually it was over a year out. If you went with less duration you could get more lift than I got but I wanted some more top power, I had some other mods to help it flow anyways without needing the lift. If you get your cam re-ground that will change the centerline, therefore pin won't be in the same spot and you will have to degree in the cam. It happened to be almost exactly a tooth off. If it wasn't for the cam sensor, then you could just move it a tooth. But because the cam sensor and crank sensor set fuel sync you need to use those off-set bushings to keep the alignment. If you go through with this I could help explain more. The easiest thing to do would be higher ratio rockers but the v10s already have 1.7 rockers from the factory. (A very cheap way to get higher lift rockers for the 5.9/5.2 btw)
I thought the v10 came stock with 1.6 rockers?

Quick Reply: My V10 performance top end "swap"