2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flywheel clocked?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 04:59 PM
Twangin4u
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel clocked?

Does the flywheel have to be clocked in specific position to coincide with cam sensor?

Old 12-27-2020, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

What engine? What year? I am pretty sure on the ones that will bolt up in any position, it doesn't matter, on those that it does, there is one bolt hole offset from the rest, so it only goes on one way.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:13 PM
Twangin4u
Amateur
Default 99 5.2 manual

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What engine? What year? I am pretty sure on the ones that will bolt up in any position, it doesn't matter, on those that it does, there is one bolt hole offset from the rest, so it only goes on one way.
It's a 99 5.2l stick. I'm still having problems with it. Runs rough and plugged getting fouled. Code keeps saying cam sensor. I put my pcm in from my dodge and it started good. So I thought pcm was problem. Put 99 pcm in my truck and my truck ran fine. Put my pcm in again and it ran like **** again. So I thought wiring issue but I hooked an oscilloscope (homemade from arduino) and I'm getting signals from both crank and cam sensors. I'm baffled.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:18 PM
Twangin4u
Amateur

So I wondered if the flywheel should have been in certain position to match cam sensor...

Old 12-27-2020, 07:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On the 5.2 is just doesn't matter. For the crank, there is no 'reference' mark, that denotes a specific cylinder. My guess is, your fuel sync is off. Got a scanner that can read it??

Old 12-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Twangin4u
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On the 5.2 is just doesn't matter. For the crank, there is no 'reference' mark, that denotes a specific cylinder. My guess is, your fuel sync is off. Got a scanner that can read it??
no I don't. Think I'm just gonna have her tow it to a shop and hope they don't rake her over the coals

Old 12-27-2020, 08:03 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

What's the exact DTC you're getting ? In the scope pic I assume red is the cam sensor and green is the crank sensor, right ? I'd agree the fuel sync might be off seeing that there are only three pulses in the cam sensor high phase and three and a really short one during cam sensor low. However that is somewhat confusing because the flywheel has 8 notches so you should see 8 changes per crank revolution. Is this the original flywheel ?

In any case there is a procedure to set fuel sync in the FSM. It's basically the rough setting to get the engine running. As you have the nifty scope try moving the distributor a little in either direction and see if it helps. Despite the "sync" in the name it's not super critical, the PCM can deal with a few degrees off.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Another member had done some research on his mystery miss, and hooking up an o-scope was one of the things he did. I argued that pulse length from the crank sensor shouldn't matter, as it was just a trigger signal, however, when he changed his crank sensor, the return signal smoothed out (became more uniform) and has engine ran quite a bit smoother..... So, he was on to something there. Maybe one PCM is more sensitive to the return signal than the other?

Also, notice the difference in just where the 'last' pulse shows up before the cam sensor goes high again. On the first wave, there is a pretty significant gap, on the second wave, the two are almost simultaneous. Given that the scale is probably milliseconds..... that's a pretty big difference......

Quick Reply: Flywheel clocked?