2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking antifreeze from heater core tube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:53 AM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leaking antifreeze from heater core tube?

Good morning, I replaced my valve cover gaskets, and upon doing so, I had to move a little tube that routs to the heater core. It’s now leaking from there. How can I remove the tube? It’s held by I 15mm bolt, I’ve tried pulling it out, but it won’t budge. I’m afraid to break it. How do I fix this? Thank you all!

Old 02-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

It sticks in with an o-ring. Remove the bolt and put a ring of black RTV around the shaft as you re-insert it. Be careful to align the hook on the bolt or the tube will go too far. Then tighten the bolt. The RTV will seal.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

That one looks to be a different design than what I am used to. The steel tube is a lot longer than I would expect. Still and all, it's still just a steel tube with an O-ring seal, held in place by the one bolt. When I pulled mine (shorter version...) I discovered that the end had rusted off, so, there was no saving that one... Fortunately, Advance had replacements on the shelf, complete with o-ring. I had to chamfer the hole in the water pump it inserted into a bit, to get it to go in without trashing the o-ring. But, a bit of grease, it went right in, and sealed up fine.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:56 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That one looks to be a different design than what I am used to. The steel tube is a lot longer than I would expect. Still and all, it's still just a steel tube with an O-ring seal, held in place by the one bolt. When I pulled mine (shorter version...) I discovered that the end had rusted off, so, there was no saving that one... Fortunately, Advance had replacements on the shelf, complete with o-ring. I had to chamfer the hole in the water pump it inserted into a bit, to get it to go in without trashing the o-ring. But, a bit of grease, it went right in, and sealed up fine.
Maybe because this engine is out of a 2000 Durango R/T. nonetheless, I’m going to switch to the shorter tube. This one was just..no. Thank you so much! I hope mine is at least decent when I pull it out. Lol!

Old 02-10-2021, 10:56 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramman18
It sticks in with an o-ring. Remove the bolt and put a ring of black RTV around the shaft as you re-insert it. Be careful to align the hook on the bolt or the tube will go too far. Then tighten the bolt. The RTV will seal.
Thank you for the RTV suggestion, and answer!

Old 02-10-2021, 11:17 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd expect RTV to work only if you get it bone dry and then allow the sealant to set up for 24 hours. The Right Stuff might accelerate this considerably but damn it's spendy.

The o-ring design here is questionable IMO, but it works so long as you don't disturb it or look at it funny.

The last time I did a WP on a 360 my dad shoved the tube in way too far. When pulling it back out the new o-ring got knicked or cut. I was in a hurry and none of my o-ring asst contained the right one, so I had to buy the entire HELP! kit with tube at Autozone just to get the stupid o-ring. Most expensive o-ring I've ever purchased....

Old 02-10-2021, 11:45 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Mine leaked one time on a road trip and I had no tools. So what I did was night RTV and put it around the tube where it meets the water pump worked like a charm!

Old 02-10-2021, 12:59 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

GATES 43034 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
$33.89
If the tube is that weak your pump is probably about junk too. It comes with the new tube and o-ring.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
GATES 43034 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
$33.89
If the tube is that weak your pump is probably about junk too. It comes with the new tube and o-ring.
This is actually a really good idea.

Quick Reply: Leaking antifreeze from heater core tube?