2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac system giving trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay yes I'm using a mobile AC guy so he did come out the other day and it quit at about half of a small can of 134 so I will absolutely follow your instructions the next time he comes out. If there's any remnants of water still in the system will the vacuum pull that out?

Old 08-12-2021, 04:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Okay yes I'm using a mobile AC guy so he did come out the other day and it quit at about half of a small can of 134 so I will absolutely follow your instructions the next time he comes out. If there's any remnants of water still in the system will the vacuum pull that out?
Yes you want to pull a vacuum for at least an hour. The only thing it can be are either your compressor is bad out of the box, wiring issue or bad sensor, or your evaporator is clogged (didn't see if you blew through it).

Old 08-12-2021, 04:20 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yes sir the condesirr is new the compressor is new and accumulator is new... I have a new evaporator but Lord I don't want to have to try to put that in the other one blew out clean really really well I purchased it with water and it blew through very good clean. As did all the lines hoses and condenser which is all laying in the sun to really bake any leftover moisture out of them and the evaporator I'm blowing out every 10 minutes or so. I think you to know in on this and I will get it together tomorrow and have my mobile AC tech come by and finish the job in the order you said

Old 08-12-2021, 05:48 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Originally Posted by moparfanatic21
start the truck and try to charge it, if it fails (like before) jump the low pressure switch with a piece of wire and start charging (if using cans go until about half empty, if a machine only put a few ounces in). See if it will take a charge
​​​​​​
how long do i leave the jump in... Till about a half a can is that what you was talking about and then stop and take the jump out if it's taking it and continue on

Old 08-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

One more thing I think.... They sell with the little aluminum sprocketed looking washing on it is the factory on the bottom of the block and they sent just a plain green o-ring should I just slip the factory over and use them or use the new ones which are not real snug on the block?

Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

The line didn't give you new ones due the compressor have to buy them separately, that o ring is for the line that slips in

Old 08-12-2021, 06:03 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yeah I ordered them from everything from RockAuto and they just sent me the wrong thing I suppose I think what I'll do is just flip the factory ones over and go with that I mean the whole system was holding really well at full pressure the other day so I think I'm going to be all right with that. Again my friend I appreciate it to no end and I really think this is going to do it this time because I found a dime in the yard with heads up 😁.. of course not to mention all the professional advice I get! I want to keep my eye on things and help where I can for others. Tomorrow will tell the tale

Old 08-13-2021, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

All of these pieces except for the dryer has been purged with water to ensure no blockage.
Water is the last thing you want in a ac system. You better make sure ALL water/moisture is out and dry before installing.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yessir, I did disassemble the entire system, tubes, hoses, (the new compressor had the shipping block bolted on it)
etc. This was before I installed a new accumulator as well of course it did not see it water. Just the tubes and hoses and evaporator and the condenser which I blew out very well and let them set in the Texas Sun for about 6 hours and blew them out several more times. The evaporator I did not remove but I blew and it out with air multiple times until not even any droplets came out. Reassemble the system and my mobile AC tech is apparently having something done to his back so I'm going to have to wait till next week because he's already been paid to do this. I believe from what I have learned it's going to be okay this time. I'm unaware of their problem originally but I'm assuming it must have been in the accumulator seeing there was no blockage anywhere that I could find. We should know more in a day or two.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I would replace the receiver/dryer, Any time the system is opened up it's wise to replace it. Especially since you are having flow problems. It is the lowest part of the system and it's job is to catch and remove moisture/debris from the system.

Quick Reply: Ac system giving trouble