2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v8 manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024 | 08:03 PM
SharpieDodge
|
Amateur

Not sure why my last post was on a different thread, but all of my 4x4 lines are rotten. Posi-loc was on sale so I scooped it up. For everyone else I've started the swap officially. Will update when the next chunk is done

Old 07-16-2024 | 09:51 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SharpieDodge
Not sure why my last post was on a different thread, but all of my 4x4 lines are rotten. Posi-loc was on sale so I scooped it up. For everyone else I've started the swap officially. Will update when the next chunk is done
I don't discourage you from using the posi lock, you may get many years of service from it. Back in the days I read split reviews on the quality and longevity. I work in conditions that require my 4x4 to work now and when i need it. I opt to remove the cad housing and swap the snap rings around to make it full time front axle (not to be confused with full time 4x4). This would require your front driveshaft to be tip top shape as well because it will now spin under power all the time (driven by the tires in 2x4, driven by the t case in 4x4) late model 2nd gens had this setup, all 3rd gens, and early 4th gens. I never noticed MPG drag with it, but its another idea to have in your back pocket, Puredieselpower also sells a one piece half shaft for the passenger side, but its more investment.

Old 07-16-2024 | 02:41 PM
SharpieDodge
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I don't discourage you from using the posi lock, you may get many years of service from it. Back in the days I read split reviews on the quality and longevity. I work in conditions that require my 4x4 to work now and when i need it. I opt to remove the cad housing and swap the snap rings around to make it full time front axle (not to be confused with full time 4x4). This would require your front driveshaft to be tip top shape as well because it will now spin under power all the time (driven by the tires in 2x4, driven by the t case in 4x4) late model 2nd gens had this setup, all 3rd gens, and early 4th gens. I never noticed MPG drag with it, but its another idea to have in your back pocket, Puredieselpower also sells a one piece half shaft for the passenger side, but its more investment.
I do use the 4x4 but not often, mainly just for snow but in my area we have good snow removal. Mines an 02 so maybe I have full time front axle? Not really sure but not something I really need if I don't have it. The truck spends 95% of it's time on black top as it is.

Old 07-16-2024 | 07:40 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SharpieDodge
I do use the 4x4 but not often, mainly just for snow but in my area we have good snow removal. Mines an 02 so maybe I have full time front axle? Not really sure but not something I really need if I don't have it. The truck spends 95% of it's time on black top as it is.
Easy check, my late model 02 didnt have cad, my early model 02 did.

Old 07-22-2024 | 08:48 AM
SharpieDodge
|
Amateur

Alright I've got the auto out, clutch and pilot are installed. Clutch hydraulics are hanging roughly in place. I took the crank sensor off the donor truck, other than trimming the tab off it was a exact match with wires and connector style. However it does seem like it's dragging on the flywheel, are we just using washers to space it or is there supposed to be drag?

Old 07-22-2024 | 04:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did you get a new flywheel? Or did you grab the one from the donor truck?? Sensor should be close, but, not touching....

Old 07-22-2024 | 04:53 PM
SharpieDodge
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you get a new flywheel? Or did you grab the one from the donor truck?? Sensor should be close, but, not touching....
I installed a new one which looked identical to the one from the donor. I do still have the donor flywheel. Gonna use a paint marker and see if it scuffs. Maybe its not actually touching, kinda hard to see up in there clearly

Old 07-28-2024 | 11:23 AM
SharpieDodge
|
Amateur

Alright I have the manual trans and t case in the truck now. I'm assuming the nss is the 3 prong right by the auto shift arm. I don't have a wiring schematic for this and need to know what to do to by pass that switch any help appreciated.

Old 07-28-2024 | 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looks like black wire with white trace.

Old 07-28-2024 | 12:29 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

clutch switch is a green plug in the area of where the clutch pedal goes through the fire wall, i believe its only a 2 prong

Quick Reply: v8 manual swap