2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v8 manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 10:04 AM
REAPER03712
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not exactly just ground and go. you must complete the circuit, generally what people usually do is just bypass the switch so basically you have an input and output wire and the switch completes the break in between the wires. if you just connected the two wires together without the switch then it would always think the truck is in neutral, im going to get pictures of my stuff today, got pretty busy yesterday and didnt have a chance

Old 06-21-2024, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

I don't recall if how the NSS works changed over the years.... I don't think the five wire trans range sensor show up until the 02 models??? But, basically, the ignition switch would supply 12 volts to pin 85 on the starter relay, and then there were various safeties on the ground side of the circuit. NSS being the primary. I know on the 99 and older trucks, I don't think the PCM gets clued in to what gear the trans is in..... 00 and up though? Maybe.....

Old 06-24-2024, 08:26 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

There's a lot of grey information here, When I manual swapped my 06 2500 Cummins I just grounded the NSS wire from the trans through a toggle switch, kind of a back murphy switch thing. I also had the truck tuned with a manual file as it drove terrible with the auto file, so it was obviously no longer looking for the range sensor and maybe the simple ground was enough. My point being in 06 you could still get away with grounding the NSS wire, I would imagine in 02 you could as well.

My 97 swap was to many years ago I cant remember specifically how I did the NSS but I would imagine I just grounded it. Completing the circuit would be the correct way to do it vs just straight to ground. I'm not sure what other safety's may be inline after the NSS but I cant imagine much.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:47 AM
SharpieDodge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trans and all the fixins are on the ground. Hopefully start on my truck this weekend!

Old 06-25-2024, 05:25 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Boy that's nice you got the version with the shift tower that bolts in. The one I swapped had the solid top cover. I'm sure it could've been removed somehow but I was to green at the time to understand how.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:42 PM
SharpieDodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Boy that's nice you got the version with the shift tower that bolts in. The one I swapped had the solid top cover. I'm sure it could've been removed somehow but I was to green at the time to understand how.
I'm just hoping there is no preload or something stupid. I just unbolted and pulled it out
also feeling like I struck gold with this truck. Almost a shame to butcher it

Old 06-26-2024, 09:02 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SharpieDodge
I'm just hoping there is no preload or something stupid. I just unbolted and pulled it out
also feeling like I struck gold with this truck. Almost a shame to butcher it
Nothing special they just bolt in. Make sure the rubber is soft yet or add a little sealant to it

You can pour an extra quart over full through the top cover if you want, but i wouldn't expect a gas to have heating issues unless you plan to heavy tow alot.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:15 AM
SharpieDodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Nothing special they just bolt in. Make sure the rubber is soft yet or add a little sealant to it

You can pour an extra quart over full through the top cover if you want, but i wouldn't expect a gas to have heating issues unless you plan to heavy tow alot.
it'll basically be a pavement princess. I only haul maybe 5 times a year and nothing of serious weight.

Old 07-02-2024, 10:09 AM
SharpieDodge
Amateur

Alright got new clutch and flywheel, also replacing the slave while I'm at it. I ordered national bearing fc 69907 for the pilot. So everything will be kicking off next Friday when I get home. Do I have to run redline in this truck or has anyone had good luck with a slightly cheaper fluid? I'm not gonna be working it or driving it like crazy. Though it will do the occasional 12 hour trip 1 one maybe twice a year.

Old 07-02-2024, 09:45 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

I though the NV4500 could pull off simple transmission fluid, or 50W. 5600 required synchromesh. I've always ran amsoil synchromesh in my trucks, Never regretted it, but you don't have to with that trans.

Quick Reply: v8 manual swap