2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The big switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Funny Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The big switch

Guys, I think it's about that time for me to get a REAL Man's truck, yes I'm talking about a Diesel 4x4. If there is any reason why I shouldn't that I don't know about, please let me know. I was thinking about getting a 2500 4x4 98-02, a Ram of course!

Thanks

Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 PM
MGDMike
Champion
Default RE: The big switch

Uhm...deisel gas is pretty high. But, it seems to be pretty good with mileage. What kind of loads are you plan on hauling.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 AM
hawkeyedodge
Professional

If you live in the midwest, and have availability to 'SOY BIO-DIESEL' then go for it, its about 1.00$ a gallon cheaper than regular diesel and is more efficient as well as clean. I live in Iowa and bio diesel is the ****, I just wish it would've been available before I bought my truck, otherwise I would've bought a 3/4 ton diesel instead of a 1/2 ton gasoline.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Funny Man

I really have no need to pull or haul anything, I just want a diesel 4x4, my buddy and I are both looking for a diesel truck so we can make our own bio-fuel!!! And go mudding of course!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 AM
young buck
Rookie

hey man deisels rock the only thing that kept me from getting one is i dont really know anything about working on the deisel engine but a couple of my buddys have them and have them jacked up and man they put out serious ponies i like them man go for it if u got the money

Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

those things can pull a house down if you wanted. should see them at the diesel truck pulls 4x4 diesel 6speed on 37's with 600+ torque. switched into 3rd pulling that sled and steady hopped and spun all 4 tires. takes some SERIOUS power to do that!

Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For 4x4'ing and mudding, I would not recommend the diesels. Yes, the have boat loads of torque, but that front end is extremely heavy. I have seen gas trucks go through mud holes no problem, and the diesel just sink down in the front, getting stuck past the axle. Also, off-roading with a diesel can be tough, again due to the weight. The ideal setup is something that has good torque, but is relativiely light weight.

If you want a towing machine, then no question - get the Cummins!

Lastly, maintenance can be a little more expensive to. Take changing oil for example. I can't remember the exact amount, but there is about double the amount of oil of what comes in V8.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I've been considering the exact same thing... wanting a cummins diesel 01 or newer, I think however maint costs are a bit higher. Not sure about the costs of repairing but it's like anything else... learn as you go and you'll find cheeper ways to fix things..

I think there is plenty of upgrades out there too... My brother has a Power stroke ford that he did the hypertech program to and he couldnt believe the HP it added.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something else I thought of that you might want to consider before taking the plunge with a diesel. You didn't say were you live, but diesels require extra attention in the cold winter climates. They start very hard, and you will need a block heater and ability to plug it in at night. Also, diesel fuel can gel up in extreme cold temps. We had this happen on my brother-in-laws '99 this weekend. Granted, it was -10 which is somewhat rare for eastern Colorado, but it really sucked none the less.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just some stuff I thought of.

One of the best reasons to get a diesel is longevity. If properly maintained, a diesel engine can easily run 200,000 + miles. Not that gas enignes can't also do the same, but it is just more common in a diesel. If I ever upgrade from my gasser to a diesel, it will be because of towing/hauling ability, and longevity.

Quick Reply: The big switch