2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:52 PM
alcedo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

Cansomeone list the required parts from edelbrock bypart # and cost (including the K&N filter) . The intire requirements so those of us that are mechanically challenged can walk into Pep boys and hand them a list.
A step by step instuction would help also.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little behind on replying with the holidays and all, but here goes:

ORIGINAL: ripto
I have to agree they do look awesome under the hood. And it makes it so simple to get the air intake out of the way (I don't have one yet but judging by the info I've read / pictures I've seen, it's gotta be really easy). I'm probably going to be ordering one within the next couple of days to try it out for myself and probably ditch the FIPK.
It really does make things simplier. Changing the filter is very easy, and getting access to things on the passenger side of the engine (where my FIPK used to take up space) is much easier. That is defiently an advantage.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: superdak05

nice, but i hate to tell you bad move. i had one on my 97 5.2 for about 6 months and got rid of it. nothing but hot air in. sitting at a traffic light was a nightmare. when the light turned green and off i went. truck seemed to back fire throught the tb. did not do it when i took off slow but when i really got on it. it would pop than take off like a banshi. switched out the the factory air system with the original k/n filter for the box and it went away. dont know if i had to reset the computer or not, but once the truck noticed the original air system no more problems.
This was one of my concerns, that is why I am waiting until after I test this out all summer before I sell my FIPK. It easily gets into the upper 90's in the summer, so I am very interested to see how this setup performs when I am sitting in stop and go traffic, and it is 98 degrees outside.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Yeah don't know for sure though unless I try it out. About choosing the air cleaner, does it matter what the height of the air cleaner I buy is? I notice everyone has 14" diameter but is the height of them the same for the cleaner? What I mean is there something connecting the top and bottom of the air cleaner together making it a fixed height, or can you put any height filter in there and still have it be able to seal down?

Edit: I forgot to ask about the base of it. Should I be looking for a dropped base over flat for clearance reasons? What dropped height should I be looking for? I see on summit racing they have some filters 3" in height and 3.75" max height from top of TB so I'm guessing that one has a .75" dropped base, am I right?

Edit #2: Well actually, does it even have to be 14"? Does having a smaller air cleaner on there make it better for low end, or does it not affect low/top end power, the size of the air cleaner?
With my setup, the only thing preventing you from going with a taller filter is the length of the s-bolt. The top is basically just a plate with a hole in it. Once you put the s-bolt through the hole, you tighten that plate down onto the filter with the wing nut on the s-bolt.

Mine is not 14" diameter, it is actually 13". The filter that seems to fit best is 12.75" diameter. You might just have to experiement for yourself as to how big a filter you need. If your on the track, you might need the biggest filter you can find so you have lots of high rpm air available. For daily driver street use, I doubt the difference between a 14" diamter filter and a 13" diamter filter is really going to make a noticable difference, as ling as you make sure it is tall enough.

As for a drop base, I think Glidemann covered that in one of his previous posts in this thread. You should be able to fit as much as a 3" tall filter without a drop base, but it will be really tight (see Ash's post on this too).

Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
NORCAL RAM

I was wondering how you installed the air filter. all the filter i found have a hole in the center, and the hole in my throttle body is off set. did you have to have anything done custome?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 PM
ripto
Captain

you need to get an s-bolt, most likely make one yourself. I believe its 1/4-20 threaded rod

Old 12-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Yeah don't know for sure though unless I try it out. About choosing the air cleaner, does it matter what the height of the air cleaner I buy is? I notice everyone has 14" diameter but is the height of them the same for the cleaner? What I mean is there something connecting the top and bottom of the air cleaner together making it a fixed height, or can you put any height filter in there and still have it be able to seal down?

Edit: I forgot to ask about the base of it. Should I be looking for a dropped base over flat for clearance reasons? What dropped height should I be looking for? I see on summit racing they have some filters 3" in height and 3.75" max height from top of TB so I'm guessing that one has a .75" dropped base, am I right?
I just installed the Mopar Performance Assembly this evening. It looks like it has about a .25" rise in the base, which makes for a tight fit with the 2.75" tall on my truck. It would be nice to have the room to go taller if needed, but I don't think it'll be an issue for everyday driving. The Ramair site lists their assembly as a .5" drop base, so I'm assuming you can go at least that low for a base. If I get bored someday maybe I'll look for a drop base that'll fit the Mopar but for now it's good.

Thanks Silver_Dodge for the idea it looks good and really cleans up the engine bay.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:27 AM
ripto
Captain

So how do you like it so far?

Old 12-29-2006, 02:59 AM
freeriderjay

yeah I endee up putting one on but the only one I could find was a 10" and I'm using a 3" K&N Filter and so far I'm inpressed but the weather here has been in the 30's.[&:]
I'm curious to see what it does when we get that 100 degree weather and I'm driving like I do now and that is anywhere from 1500-2000 miles in a week..
But for nowit works grat 2-3 gallons more a mile and lowto top end gains...
Now I just need3" exhaust..

Old 12-29-2006, 03:06 AM
Glideman88
Professional

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

[This was one of my concerns, that is why I am waiting until after I test this out all summer before I sell my FIPK. It easily gets into the upper 90's in the summer, so I am very interested to see how this setup performs when I am sitting in stop and go traffic, and it is 98 degrees outside.
I really don't think the heat is really going to be an issue. A whole lot of years ago (more than I want to admit) I was using these air cleaners on cars with a lot bigger engine, creating a lot more heat in a much smaller engine compartment. As for trucks I also had one on my '79f-150, my '80 Silverado, my '84 Ramcharger andmy '93 F-150,performance was never a problemon hot days.

I think with our trucks sitting farther above the pavement than a car and they also havea lot ofopen space under the hood, that there won't be a problem.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More