2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:18 AM
NORCAL RAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

what parts do you need to do this?

Old 12-29-2006, 04:23 AM
NORCAL RAM

lol thanks all

Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 AM
NORCAL RAM

what do you do about seling the filter to the TB?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:01 AM
ripto
Captain

From what I know about these systems, they come in 3 parts, the base, filter (element), and top. The hardware includes a stud (which you need to bend to form an s-bolt), and a wingnut. From what I hear you just put your filter of choice in and tighten the wingnut so everythings snug (top to the filter, filter to the bottom, bottom to the TB). I don't know exactly how to mount it but in person with the parts in hand I'm sure it would be easy to figure out. Keep in mind depending on your truck and the air cleaner you buy, you may need to buy air cleaner risers to get that clearance, again, if you need it.

I just went by what I've learned from other people so feel free to correct me those that actually have it/know more than me.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:15 AM
2 Marks
Professional

Silver Dodge,

I am new to mods to my dodge. I have the 5.2 mostly stock and plan to make several of the mods you have... 50mm Fastman, cold air intake or your option, 1.7 lifters to start. What MPG can I espect or should I say, what MPG are you seeing now (before the new filter system)? I see 10.5 and 14.5 city/HWY. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
ASH
Veteran

Hey Silver, you sure stirred upa hornet's nest with this post. Sorry to Glideman88 for giving you some false information. I responded to your post about the location of the hoses without actually checking myself. It sounds like you got things worked out though.
I'll have to chime in with a report on gas mileage. I installed the 14" x 2" filter back in August, and my mileage only dropped below 13 mpg once, and I was towing my pop up camper on that trip when I got 12.5 mpg. I put on the 3" tall filter on November 21 andfilled up the next day. I drove 292 miles before filling up again and got 14.1 mpg on that tank. My driving was a combination of highway and short trips running around hilly, back country roads on that tank. The only time I got better mileage was runningstrictly highway mileswhere I got 15.4 mpg and 14.9 mpg. I know one tankful doesn't prove anything, but looking over my fuel mileage records I am convinced that all my modifications have helped with mileage and have definately helped with performance.
I really like this air filter setup. I think 14 inch diameter is as big as you can go. With the taller (3") filter I have better top end pick-up (over 2500 rpm) and much less noise through the intake. Note that I added the filter after getting the Hypertech, adjusting the crankshaft position sensor, and doing my own port job on my TB. As has been said before, all these modifcations help each other out. For under $40 for the air filter assembly andthe 3" filter, it was a great investment.
Sorry about being absent for so long. I've been selling on Ebay and that's been taking up all my time.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Glideman88
Professional

ORIGINAL: ASH

Hey Silver, you sure stirred upa hornet's nest with this post. Sorry to Glideman88 for giving you some false information. I responded to your post about the location of the hoses without actually checking myself. It sounds like you got things worked out though.
I agree about the hornet's nest.......over 100 replies and nearly 2400 views! No need to apologize ASH, all it took was antrip to the local parts store and an extra $7 in parts.

I've burned 3+ tanks of gas since I've done the setup and the MPG is consistantly higher. I've been doing mid to upper 13 mpg on every tank. I'm more than happy with these numbers, especially with the 4.10 gearing it has and also the cold weather.

This is a great improvement over the 11 mpg it used to get.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2 Marks

Silver Dodge,

I am new to mods to my dodge. I have the 5.2 mostly stock and plan to make several of the mods you have... 50mm Fastman, cold air intake or your option, 1.7 lifters to start. What MPG can I espect or should I say, what MPG are you seeing now (before the new filter system)? I see 10.5 and 14.5 city/HWY. Thanks.
Well, there are a lot of factors involved, but I can say that I get 12-13 city, 14-16 highway. Whether your truck will do the same is unknown, but it is possible.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Glideman88
Professional

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Well, there are a lot of factors involved........Whether your truck will do the same is unknown, but it is possible.
The biggest factor that is hurting my fuel mileage is the fact that I'm enjoying the increased power AND sound this thing makes!I know my right foot is a lot heavier ever since I installed it! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Glideman88

ORIGINAL: ASH

I agree about the hornet's nest.......over 100 replies and nearly 2400 views! No need to apologize ASH, all it took was antrip to the local parts store and an extra $7 in parts.

I've burned 3+ tanks of gas since I've done the setup and the MPG is consistantly higher. I've been doing mid to upper 13 mpg on every tank. I'm more than happy with these numbers, especially with the 4.10 gearing it has and also the cold weather.

This is a great improvement over the 11 mpg it used to get.
I'm glad that others are reporting similar results that I am having, and on trucks with varying amounts of mods too. I can't take credit for starting this thing though, it was RM Indy that got me interested in it, and when I found the Mopar one that, cosmetically, went well with my valve covers, I just had to try it. I'm extremely happy with it, both from a performance and visual standpoints.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More