2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

i might try this with the edelbrock hat on my other truck that i don't use and see if it works before i buy the $60 hat.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:16 PM
ripto
Captain

keep us posted about future mileage recordings, I find it kinda hard to believe this could improve gas mileage consistantly.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 AM
95ram

It's kinda cool to read the good results that Silver and others have gotten with the round air filter. And speaking of old school....generations of hot rodders have used the round style air cleaners and continue to do so to the present day. I've seen a few, but very few, ducted systems since the '70's, and I don't recall any that were commercially produced. You'd think that by now, if the FIPK style system was sogood, the streetrodders would have figured it out and been using it. And Silver's super cool looking system is cheaper than the FIPK. FIPK? We don't need no stinking FIPK.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:36 AM
ripto
Captain

I have to agree they do look awesome under the hood. And it makes it so simple to get the air intake out of the way (I don't have one yet but judging by the info I've read / pictures I've seen, it's gotta be really easy). I'm probably going to be ordering one within the next couple of days to try it out for myself and probably ditch the FIPK.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:37 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice, but i hate to tell you bad move. i had one on my 97 5.2 for about 6 months and got rid of it. nothing but hot air in. sitting at a traffic light was a nightmare. when the light turned green and off i went. truck seemed to back fire throught the tb. did not do it when i took off slow but when i really got on it. it would pop than take off like a banshi. switched out the the factory air system with the original k/n filter for the box and it went away. dont know if i had to reset the computer or not, but once the truck noticed the original air system no more problems.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 AM
ripto
Captain

Yeah don't know for sure though unless I try it out. About choosing the air cleaner, does it matter what the height of the air cleaner I buy is? I notice everyone has 14" diameter but is the height of them the same for the cleaner? What I mean is there something connecting the top and bottom of the air cleaner together making it a fixed height, or can you put any height filter in there and still have it be able to seal down?

Edit: I forgot to ask about the base of it. Should I be looking for a dropped base over flat for clearance reasons? What dropped height should I be looking for? I see on summit racing they have some filters 3" in height and 3.75" max height from top of TB so I'm guessing that one has a .75" dropped base, am I right?

Edit #2: Well actually, does it even have to be 14"? Does having a smaller air cleaner on there make it better for low end, or does it not affect low/top end power, the size of the air cleaner?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Terran
Professional

ORIGINAL: superdak05

nice, but i hate to tell you bad move. i had one on my 97 5.2 for about 6 months and got rid of it. nothing but hot air in. sitting at a traffic light was a nightmare. when the light turned green and off i went. truck seemed to back fire throught the tb. did not do it when i took off slow but when i really got on it. it would pop than take off like a banshi. switched out the the factory air system with the original k/n filter for the box and it went away. dont know if i had to reset the computer or not, but once the truck noticed the original air system no more problems.
Well i've have had many a vehicle with of these, and none of them backfired so i think the filter might not be your problem.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:13 PM
trukr36
Amateur

I ordered one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIR-C...2302QQtcZphoto
You can order flat or recessed base so I went with the flat base. Anxious to try it out.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:06 PM
ripto
Captain

Yeah I guess it's just a matter of whether your specific truck has anything that would block the flat based air cleaner from fitting right

Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
zique
Captain

what size does the mount to the TB supposed to be? I'm guessing 5 1/8" since that seems to be what everyone else is finding?

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More