3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My automatic truck jumps into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Adams95ta
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My automatic truck jumps into gear

When I shift truck into drive or reverse the truck jumps really hard. There Are no lights on the dash telling me what gear I'm in. I count the clicks down to put it in drive. I believe my idle is still at factory speed but it's high when I first start the truck. My fluids are at good leverls.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams95ta
When I shift truck into drive or reverse the truck jumps really hard. There Are no lights on the dash telling me what gear I'm in. I count the clicks down to put it in drive. I believe my idle is still at factory speed but it's high when I first start the truck. My fluids are at good leverls.
Do you have gauges? or just no lights... Almost sounds like either the FCM (Front Control Module) or the PCM (Power Control Module)

Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Mine does the same thing, dealer says its normal, BS. I give up never Dodge again for me!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

High idling would cause the trans to jump... it could be a the TPS causing that. I missed your titled question.

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
Mine does the same thing, dealer says its normal, BS. I give up never Dodge again for me!
You crack me up... you complain all the time for what? Whats your benefit are, you trying to start a flame war? Ford, Chevy, Toyota.. you name it all have their own issues... yet you complain... Sell it and be happy man. I am not trying to be a jerk about it, but I think about 3 in every 5 posts you make are negative.

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 01-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Adams95ta
Rookie

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Do you have gauges? or just no lights... Almost sounds like either the FCM (Front Control Module) or the PCM (Power Control Module)
thanks for the response. I have stock gauges and it just looks like all the time (meaning the Park Drive ect are all lit up) :

photo-2.jpg

When I move the shifter down it, they all are still lit up as blue, it doesn't do anything to show me what gear I'm in.

The truck was wrecked and I did a repair on it so it very well could be one of those modules. I also see in the middle an orange engine type light, is that a check engine light?

thanks
Adam

Last edited by Adams95ta; 01-28-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

LOL, I should have clarified, I meant no gauges as in they are dead... no readings No big deal. Yes thats a check engine light.

Anyways heres a few threads that might help. One Member lost his guages, some lights and everything illuminated like you have. So my guess is its your FCM, like his was.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...blem-here.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...their-fcm.html

Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Adams95ta
Rookie

all of my gauges work perfect like my speedo, tech and battery voltage ect. The only thing that doesn't work is it doesn't light up and tell me what gear I've shifted down too. I read the posts you posted and I appreciate them but is seems none of there gauges worked at all. Any other ideas? Is there a sensor that detects what gear you've selected?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Your transmission maybe in limp-in and thats why when you put the shifter into drive it jumps. You need to ck for stored codes in the TCM. First thing i would do is ck to see if you still have powertrain warranty. Does the transmission upshift and downshift?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take it to a parts shop to pull the codes, most of them will let you borrow their code-reader at no charge (I know Autozone does).

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
bain64
Veteran

Altair is correct about Autozone and the code reader. However the check engine light is probably a result of the gauges not working. But hell who knows maybe there is a trouble code that will tell you why the cluster isn't working.

Years ago I fixed a dead gauge cluster in a Neon by taking the cluster out of the dash and putting it back together. Perhaps it is as simple as a connection issue? I know you at least have power to the gauge cluster but think about a parallel cable, when it is slightly disconnected 20/40 of the pins could be disconnected.

Quick Reply: My automatic truck jumps into gear