3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Things I like about my Dakota; Things I dislike about my Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things I like about my Dakota; Things I dislike about my Dakota

Things I like:

Small enough to be able to fit into just about any parking spot I find.
Gets somewhat decent fuel economy.
Looks sharp!
Comfortable drive, even after a long drive, I don't feel like I've ridden inside a dryer.
I get all kinds of looks from other people driving the same model truck!

Things I dislike:

You want me to carry what? A feather? Nooooo!
You want me to tow a what? Two feathers? Oh the agony!
After market equipment? Okay, git yer laughin' butt off the floor already!
Gets dirty 5 minutes after washing it. Oh the joys of a black truck.

mmm now what should I do? Find a truck I can modify better or keep working on this one. I figure about for another $2K it might be able to do what I need for it to do. Carry stuff without it looking like it's a dog dragging it's butt to scratch and be able to tow something other than a canoe.

Yep, helper airbags on the rear and going to put the electric fan on the front. What else can I do? I did find out, through the build sheet request, that I have a 3.92 rear, but it also says I have Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, which probably came in handy in California, where it was first purchased.
Towing package? Did that include a transmission cooler? Probably not, right?

Mmmmm thoughts....

Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Lmao!!! I can honestly say there is not one thing I dislike yet.....I am somewhat glad there is not much aftermarket support because: 1) I would be more broke than I am now (is there such a thing?) and 2) It makes us all so creative....take a look around this forum and see all the stuff you can do even with the limited aftermarket support...

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-23-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much like everything about my truck. Tows my camper with no problems. Truck sits level when the camper without weight distribution hitch. All it needs is a good tune so it doesn't fall on its face everytime it shifts. If you have the Tow package it does include the tranny cooler.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
blakdak07
Veteran

I understand about keeping a black truck clean. Not to mention how hot it gets inside during the summer. But it's sooooo purty. I like getting the second glances, too because mine is the only sport, quad cab around here.
As far as hauling, I took a load of metal to our local recycler and their scale said I had about 1500 pounds of scrap. All it did was level it out. I've pulled friends' cars and dragged 10' logs. I'm not very demanding of my truck, but it does what I need it to do.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

-Super smooth ride
-Roomy
-4DR
-4WD
-Just right size

Dislikes:

-MPG
-Power
-Small rims
-Upholstery

Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Dells33
Rookie

I have not found any thing that i don't like about mine yet. It has plenty of power and its still not a vary big truck. If you don't really want to spend the money on air bags Monroe does make rear shocks that are suppose to maintain ride hight up to 1200 Lbs.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

curtice I don't know why you have towing/carrying issues with a 4.7 HO we have pretty high rated capabilities. What can you not tow? Or is it just the sagging and sludge feeling you get when you have a heavy load? (lol)

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of Power
Excellent towing
Fun to work on
Engine easy to modify
Love the look

Dislikes
Lack of aftermarket support
$ of aftermarket stuff you do find
Rear drum brakes
Wussy vulcanized rubber engine mounts

Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Originally Posted by Blown287
Alot of Power
Excellent towing
Fun to work on
Engine easy to modify
Love the look

Dislikes
Lack of aftermarket support
$ of aftermarket stuff you do find
Rear drum brakes
Wussy vulcanized rubber engine mounts
Rear drum brakes: Mine just self imploded. You'd think someone could make a brake system that would last 100K without any issues...

I wonder how hard it would be to put disc brakes back there.....? hmmmmmm

Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Originally Posted by trucky
curtice I don't know why you have towing/carrying issues with a 4.7 HO we have pretty high rated capabilities. What can you not tow? Or is it just the sagging and sludge feeling you get when you have a heavy load? (lol)
Last year, I was towing my son's Focus wagon on a uHaul trailer. Mind you, it seemed to do okay on the get up and go. A little issue going up longer hills at highway speeds. But then we made the mistake and stopped at a rest area to stretch our legs and we looked at the hitch and noticed that the bottom of the tongue was only a couple inches above the pavement. That can't be good, ya know?

There's a hill I get to climb, from time to time, where my in-laws live. I dread taking my truck over there because every time I go up it, my truck always smells like oil is burning. My wife's car and son's car never do. Heck, My 86 Toyota 4x4 made it up the hill without hardly a whimper. My Dakota? smelly old thing. But I can't figure out where it's coming from. My Dakota doesn't go over there very often for some reason....

So anyway, yeah, I'm getting a heavier duty trailer and I want to be able to put a load in it without killing my truck in the process. I also don't really want to go out and pay $40k for a new truck. So a modifying I will be doing for a while.

Quick Reply: Things I like about my Dakota; Things I dislike about my Dakota