3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Air intake Custom Resonator ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
victorjg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake Resonator Customization ?

Hi:

Does anyone has try to customize the air intake resonator?
This plastic box absorb the noise from the engine also restrict the air flow and if you take a serious look it decrease in size inside.

I have a few ideas but I don't know if they really works:

1. Fill the holes inside that cut the noise and restrict the air it will help to give more engine sound and more air flow as well.

2. Another idea was to cut all this curve and replace it with 3'' pvc pipe, then glue it to the resonator to make it look stock as possible. After this use the regular filter box with a K&N OEM style filter, this will suck fresh air from the fender, looks stock (but isn't) and I think It will help to sound more aggressive than the stock uncustomize black resonator!!

What do you think?
Any comments or advice?

My last truck was a Chevy Colorado and many people used to customize the air resonator, it really make it sound different...

Victor

Last edited by victorjg; 12-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
flyingDakota

Originally Posted by victorjg
Hi:

Does anyone has try to customize the air intake resonator?
This plastic box absorb the noise from the engine also restrict the air flow and if you take a serious look it decrease in size inside.

I have a few ideas but I don't know if they really works:

1. Fill the holes inside that cut the noise and restrict the air it will help to give more engine sound and more air flow as well.

2. Another idea was to cut all this curve and replace it with 3'' PVC pipe, then glue it to the resonator to make it look stock as possible. After this use the regular filter box with a K&N OEM style filter, this will suck fresh air from the fender, looks stock (but isn't) and I think It will help to sound more aggressive than the stock customize black resonator!!

What do you think?
Any comments or advice?

My last truck was a Chevy Colorado and many people used to customize the air resonator, it really make it sound different...

Victor
I have an 05 V6. I have an Air raid Jr. kit on mine. I found it on a truck in the salvage yard. I think new they are around $139 and it should include filter for factory filter box. Got mine for $25. Just took the factory "resonator" off. To me it actually looks nicer that way.

Quite honestly, I don't notice much of a difference in engine noise with this at all. Some claim to have gained MPG with theirs, but mine has pretty much stayed the same. Only time I really notice anything is at wide open throttle. You could do as you said and make one yourself with PVC. You might try finding a used Jr. like I did. They are the same for the V6 and the V8. At least on the 05-07. I assume yours is the same.

I think it looks good without the resonator box. I kept the factory box in case I ever sell the truck and the new owner wants a factory look.

Like any mod you do, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck with it.

I just saw you have a 2010. How do you like it so far? I am just getting used to the front end change from the 05-to 07.

Last edited by flyingDakota; 12-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Hey Victor!! You still wondering about the intake? Make your own and keep the factory box "factory" in case you need to change it or sell it or your truck does not pass inspection!!!! Good luck, hermano!!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i put an Injen intake on my truck and kept the plastic thin on under it!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Victor, check this thread out. Exactly what you are looking for:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ir-intake.html

Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Victor, check this thread out. Exactly what you are looking for:

Ya beat me to it...

I read the post and just laughed thinking he's looking for exactly what I did to mine.

Hey Victor, if you open the stock airbox there's also a baffle in there that can be removed to increase airflow.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 PM
themongoose

You can add a K&N filter to the stock box and then cut the air nozzle down(inside the air filter box) that comes from inside the fender to eliminate the restriction to the flow coming from the fender. You can't do much about the increasing and decreasing diameters going in and out of the box but you can make gains with the stock box. I would epoxy over the holes - 1 on the bottom of the intake tube coming from the fender and 1 in the tube just before it gets to the throttle body. These deaden the sound. Just my thoughts, you may do something different.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Ueland
Ya beat me to it...
haha...i'm beginning to get the hang of this....

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by themongoose
You can't do much about the increasing and decreasing diameters going in and out of the box but you can make gains with the stock box. I would epoxy over the holes - 1 on the bottom of the intake tube coming from the fender and 1 in the tube just before it gets to the throttle body. These deaden the sound. Just my thoughts, you may do something different.

You can increase the intake side of the box...

I would also recomend drilling a small maybe 1/4 inch hole in each corner of the stock box. in the case of water getting into your airbox, this will let it drain properly.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
flyingDakota

This is exactly what I have, minus the nifty adapter on the filter box. Victor, this is what I was trying to describe to you. Now I just might have to do the filter box mod as well.

Quick Reply: Air intake Custom Resonator ?