3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 dakota towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
howson666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 dakota towing

New to towing bumper ball hole ",TRAILER HITCH KIT" towing button
But here is the "Q" can it tow a trailer with a Atv on it may be two?
How would i find out ?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by howson666
New to towing bumper ball hole ",TRAILER HITCH KIT" towing button
huh? not sure I understand that part....so cant really answer your "Q"...

Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
TomZ
Professional

If you're asking if you can tow an ATV trailer with two ATVs on it, utilizing just the bumper (not a receiver and hitch), the answer is maybe. It depends on the weight of your towed items, and the laws in your area.
I'm guessing your truck doesn't have a tow package. You would need an appropriate sized ball for your trailer, and the electrical wiring to connect it to your truck wiring, and a braking system if required by your local laws. As the weight of your towed items increases, the need for a receiver hitch and trailer brakes come into play. Brakes can be either hydraulic (surge) or electric, drum or disc. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. Electric brakes need wiring from a cab mounted controller. Trucks with factory tow packages usually have a connector under the dash to plug and play electric brake controllers. Hydraulic surge brakes require no additional wiring to the truck (other rthan a back-up light wire for reverse lock out designed braking systems), but are higher cost. Most laws require a "break-away" system in case the trailer disconnects from the vehicle. Disc brakes require no periodic adjustment, drums need frequent adjustment. Discs are more expensive. A brake system is always advisable on anything over 2500 lbs. I just hit the high points here, there is a lot more to know.

Last edited by TomZ; 04-20-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TomZ
If you're asking if you can tow an ATV trailer with two ATVs on it, utilizing just the bumper (not a receiver and hitch), the answer is maybe. It depends on the weight of your towed items, and the laws in your area.
I'm guessing your truck doesn't have a tow package. You would need an appropriate sized ball for your trailer, and the electrical wiring to connect it to your truck wiring, and a braking system if required by your local laws. As the weight of your towed items increases, the need for a receiver hitch and trailer brakes come into play. Brakes can be either hydraulic (surge) or electric, drum or disc. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. Electric brakes need wiring from a cab mounted controller. Trucks with factory tow packages usually have a connector under the dash to plug and play electric brake controllers. Hydraulic surge brakes require no additional wiring to the truck (other rthan a back-up light wire for reverse lock out designed braking systems), but are higher cost. Most laws require a "break-away" system in case the trailer disconnects from the vehicle. Disc brakes require no periodic adjustment, drums need frequent adjustment. Discs are more expensive. A brake system is always advisable on anything over 2500 lbs. I just hit the high points here, there is a lot more to know.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I think that I read on another forum his question so I will attempt to answer it.

I believe all these trucks came with an O/D button on the end of the shifter. If your truck came with the tow package you would have a hitch and both style electrical connectors attached by a bracket to the hitch. If you don't have that then you don't have the tow package.

As to whether or not you can tow an ATV or 2, there are too many variables to determine whether or not you can. I.E. How much do they weigh, what size engine do you have, will you be towing from the bumper or from a hitch, how far are you going to be towing? etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM
rengnath
Champion

On the 2005 model, there wasnt an O/D off switch, just a tow/haul which is different. The tow/haul mode came on all of the trucks regardless of the towing package. If you want it to perform as an O/D off switch, the dealer can reprogram it for you. A sure way to tell if you got the towing package is to pop the hood and see if there is a power steering cooler in front of the radiator. If not, you dont have the tow package.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
jnd03
Rookie

Hey whats the difference between the tow/haul button and a O/D ? i have an 2005 with the tow/button and thought that would turn o/d off.. I am planning on getting a 20ft boat do you recommend i have the dealer reprogram my button?

Originally Posted by rengnath
On the 2005 model, there wasnt an O/D off switch, just a tow/haul which is different. The tow/haul mode came on all of the trucks regardless of the towing package. If you want it to perform as an O/D off switch, the dealer can reprogram it for you. A sure way to tell if you got the towing package is to pop the hood and see if there is a power steering cooler in front of the radiator. If not, you dont have the tow package.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM
rengnath
Champion

Heres a thread discussing the difference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...vs-od-off.html

I cant tell you if I recommend changing it or not; I dont tow so I left mine with tow/haul. If I gave you advice, it would be guess work. I just wanted to let you know that OD off wasnt the same as tow/haul, but you can get it changed at the dealer

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
huh? not sure I understand that part....so cant really answer your "Q"...
Tow/haul button . I have heard it called this plenty of times

Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 AM
TomZ
Professional

TOW/HAUL on my 2010 Dakota 5sp auto, from the owner's manual:

"When to Use TOW/HAUL Mode
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the TOW/HAUL switch. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. When operating in TOW/HAULmode, top gear is disabled and some shift patterns are modified. On vehicles with fivespeed transmissions, shifts into Overdrive (fourth gear) are allowed during steady cruise (for improved fuel economy), and automatic closed-throttle downshifts to third gear (for improved braking) will occur during steady braking."

The thread rengnath posted above (in part) refers to an OD/ TOW/HAUL function that involves pressing the button twice, and having two different functions. Aparrently at some point, (or maybe Dakotas never had this function) the dual functionality was dropped.

Last edited by TomZ; 04-21-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 dakota towing