3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cant get leveling kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Maxtork
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get leveling kit installed

Hey All,

I'm new here and I was hoiping for a little help. I've been reading for quite awhile and I decided to take on a strut, brake, leveling kit install this weekend. Well I got it all back together with new struts(monroes) and new brakes but I had a problem with the leveling kit. I got it all put together but damned if I could get the suspension back together. I'm using the over the srping type kit and it makes the stut package a bit longer and that is keeping me from getting all the bolts back in place. I started out by following the instructions (novel idea I know)and I disconnected the two bolts holdiong the lower control arm in. I got the strut bolted in and conneted to the lower arm but I couldn't for the life of me get the arm back in place. If I jacked it up anymore is would lift the truck. Then I tried disconnecting the upper ball joint. that allowed me to get the lower arms back in place but I had the same problem getting the lower arm and spindle up high enough to re-attach the upper ball joint. I even got out a ratchet strap and tried to collapse the strut that way with no luck. Hind sight being 20/20 I should have bought the inside the spring type lift as the strut assembly would have been the same height making it easier to install.

So do any of you guys have any advice on getting the above the spring kit installed without heavy machinery or inventing new cuss words?

Thanks
Max

Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, I prefer the over the spring leveling kit. Put the jack underneath the lower control arm and lift from the ball joint. You might get the truck a bit off the jack stand. This is ok. You then have to pry the upper control arm towards the spindle. I pryed using the spring as the fulcrum. Pry enough to begin to thread on the upper ball joint nut. Tighten. This will compress it the rest of the way, with no issues.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Maxtork

Thanks!,

I actually tried that but I couldn't get the lower strut bolt in. When the lower arm is down and you try to put the bottom strut bolt in it wont go as there is interference from the inboard edge of the control arm. The bolt hole is at the height but it is pushed outward about a half inch so I cant get the bolt in. Without the leveling blocks installed the strut is short enough that you can raise the lower arm slightly and the interference goes away and you can bolt it all up. I actually used your method when putting the strut back in without the leveling kit and it worked but I had to really pull the upper arms down to make it work.

For some reason I think this truck just doesn't want to be leveled lol. Maybe it will like a solid axle swap instead lol

Thanks
Max

Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran into this issue as well. You need to use persuasion. It will go.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Sdowdle541
Rookie

I did some light grinding on the y of the strut because it seemed to catch there a little on that sharp edge. Loosely bolt the top in then get the bottom secured. We didn't disconnect the spindle from the bottom ball joint. To get it back on the top control arm we jacked it up a little from the lower arm. Then we put a rachet strap from the top coil down to the lower control arm to pull it down a little more. Last we used a pry bar to push the upper arm down into place, we used the coil as the leverage point. Any questions just ask. Oh and we ditched the sway bar on mine so I wouldn't ever have to replace endlinks.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Maxtork

Thanks for the insight guys. I actually had another thought that might help me. I can't remember if I had the camber alignment bolts loose on the lower arms when I tried to get the bottom strut bolt in and had the interference. I might try it again and loosen the lower arm bolts and see if I can get the strut bolt in. If I can then I can jack the lower arm up as far as I can and get a large pry bar to lever the uppers down to reconnect the upper ball joint. I have to say though I am pretty nervous about trying it again. Thats a whole bunch of work for nothing if it won't go in. It really sucks that there isn't a proper lift kit for these things. The wife really likes it...especially after putting the hood scoop on it lol.

Max

Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

did anyone ever take pics of the proper leverage points, which bolts to remove, which end to install first, etc?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
did anyone ever take pics of the proper leverage points, which bolts to remove, which end to install first, etc?
What would be the fun in that!?! If we documented everything, then we could just put all this info in archives and we would have nothing to talk about all day except the messed up ideas that go through our perverted minds .....

Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
we would have nothing to talk about all day except the messed up ideas that go through our perverted minds .....
that happens with me anyway....

Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

I remember a thread a while back mentioning placing a 2x4 on the outer edge of the lower control arm. This gives your jack better leverage and allows the pieces to come together closer.

I remember when I did mine I used a few yards of rope, devised a pully system and tugged on the damn truck while my buddy started threading the nut. It's a PITA and I was out of breath once done with it!

Quick Reply: Cant get leveling kit installed