3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Spare Key FOB...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
peonu2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Key FOB...

hi i have a 2008 dodge dakota and was wondering is it possiable to program a nother key. i have one of the originals but that is all can i buy one off ebay and doo it. tks

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Peonu2, I am going to move you over to the Dakota forum, you'll get better help there.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealership closest to me said they would do it for free. I also know there are instructions somewhere, just cannot find them.

Might want to call up the dealership and ask them. Would rather them mess it up for free and have to fix it, rather than yourself.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
rengnath
Champion

When you have the transponders in the keys, you need 2 working keys to program a new one. Most of us only have 2, so when you lose 1 you have to take it to a dealer. If you have 2, you will be able to follow the programming procedure that is in the manual. Read if over before you buy a key, but its pretty self explanatory. The keys are pretty easy to cut, so if you have a local hardware store they should be able to do it for you. Ive duplicated mine with no problems at the hardware store that I work at. Some car keys have akward ledges and they will slip out when cutting them, but I didnt run in to this problem with my Dakota key.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I only have one fob and a rescue key that sets off the alarm if I use it. I want another fob but they are too darn expensive

Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From the 06 owners manual.

Customer Key Programming

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition to the ON position for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition back to the OFF position and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition to the ON position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the Security Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition back to the OFF position and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition and switch the ignition to the ON position within 60 seconds of having removed the second key. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. The Security Light will stop flashing, then turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. Repeat this process to program up to a total of 8 keys.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I only have one fob and a rescue key that sets off the alarm if I use it. I want another fob but they are too darn expensive

Off to the dealer with ye..

With only one transponder key, the new key has to be programmed by the dealer with their interface tool (I don't know what Dodge's name for it is).

You can get the basic grey key without the keyless entry buttons, to save a few dollars.

I did this, mostly because I installed an aftermarket security system that controls the door locks and OEM security, and wanted less bulk on my key chain, I carry enough keys as it is. lol

Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peonu2
hi i have a 2008 dodge dakota and was wondering is it possiable to program a nother key. i have one of the originals but that is all can i buy one off ebay and doo it. tks

You need 2 PROGRAMED keys to program new ones.
Once you program your new key(s) they can also be used to program new keys.

I bought 2 Chipped keys (Not FOBs), and Programed 1 of them, Then I wondered if I needed both factory to program my 2nd new one. So I used one of the factory keys and the one I just programed and it worked.

Quick Reply: Spare Key FOB...