3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I need some help with a couple of question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 AM
sugarray
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need some help with a couple of question?

First, let me say this is the best vehicle forum I have read. I have a few posts, but lurk a lot and read a lot. So, thanks for all the info!!

1) When I hit 60 mph I get a lot of vibration, seems to resolve at about 70 mph. I have looked for 1.5 hrs on here and no real ideas found. I wanted to ask your opinions on this issue.

2) Breaking - when breaking I have some vibration at higher speeds. I have read on here that after market rotors will fix this, again, would like to get your experience/opinions.

3) I am going to buy new tires come October and still have a lot of confusion about size. If I could get some more height it would be great, but I am not willing to modify anything to get. Any recs for size with the 18" wheels?

So, thanks in advance too. I would really like to upgrade to a full size, but the boss is really giving me grief, and I really don't want to increase my payment to get what I want.

Last edited by sugarray; 08-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

I had the same problem with my brakes, so I had new rotors put on along with new pads.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 AM
sugarray
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeremysp1993
I had the same problem with my brakes, so I had new rotors put on along with new pads.
Front/back/both??

Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Originally Posted by sugarray
Front/back/both??
I had the front. I once got my truck stuck in small pea gravel and it got in the breaks and ruined them, my fault. So it caused major screeching,not just squeeking, but like annoying screeching. The pads only had like 30% life on mine. Mine might of been original, not sure as i bought the 05 last year.

But i do know that if you feel a pulsating, that it is due to the rotors being uneven. The rotors can be machined to be even again and they wont pulsate, But i have been told that they can go back to how they were before you had them machined.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

But dont rely on my answer at the moment, that info is from past experience. So wait till other people tell you.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

I think rotors is what it could be too.

Have a look at brakeperformance.com I jotted them down after I read a post titled something like "Breakperformance.com saved my truck".

Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? How many miles on your truck?
How much life left in the tires?

You need to isolate whether the vibration is coming from front or rear...

Do you use your parking brake frequently?

Not many on here are running 18" tires, but I am sure someone will provide feedback.

This link is helpful to determine what height your current tire is, and then you can compare to other sizes:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireMath.jsp

Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
sugarray
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
Can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? How many miles on your truck?
How much life left in the tires?

You need to isolate whether the vibration is coming from front or rear...

Do you use your parking brake frequently?

Not many on here are running 18" tires, but I am sure someone will provide feedback.

This link is helpful to determine what height your current tire is, and then you can compare to other sizes:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireMath.jsp
I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel. I have 30,000 miles. I'm not sure of total life left on tires, 1/4 or less. I am getting new tires first of October for the winter and hope to get another summer out of the SR-As.

I think it is coming from the front end, which really makes me think rotors/brakes. I rarely use my parking brake, unless parked on a steeper incline.

There aren't many with the 18" tires and the tire sizes are more limited. I am thinking of trying to find some Ram 20" wheels, but really don't want to go to a leveling kit to get the fit.

Quick Reply: I need some help with a couple of question?