3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dealers and reflashes: your experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012 | 12:05 PM
thecause17
|
Veteran
Default Dealers and reflashes: your experiences?

I wanted to get some opinions off of some of you who have dealt with the dealers in the past on reflashes and programming.

I have one complaint about this truck that really annoys me. I absolutely hate when the torque converter locks up while I'm in 3rd gear at low rpms. It's not such a problem on a flat surface, but it'll do it on a hill at low throttle/rpms. It'll do this at such a low rpm when I'm on a hill that after it locks up I end up chugging at 1100rpms and then the truck will have to unlock it again anyway and then repeat. I've been on hills where it'll toggle back and forth over and over again. It takes a lot of pedal or switching to tow/haul mode to avoid this from happening. It's a drivability issue that bothers me on a daily basis. It doesn't do this in tow haul mode. I'd drive around in tow haul all of the time if it wasn't for the fact that the truck rarely goes into 5th.

Anyways, my question is, have any of you dealt with dealers on reflases on things other than just the basic updates? Is this something they'd be willing to change for me for a fee? I've had them change my tire size before no questions asked, but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to alter something like this. I either want the lock-up for 3rd gear disabled completely or the range raised so it can't do it under the conditions that cause it to lag so badly afterwards.

My Hemi Grand Cherokee doesn't do it, and I believe it's the same transmission.

Opinions? Experiences?

Old 01-31-2012 | 12:36 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Well I can tell you what I did, superchips tuner and trans tune upgrade. There's a tow tune that I like a lot. The torque converter will still lock in third, but the range is much better and it takes a simple flick of the throttle instead of mashing it. Infact, all downshifts are easier. But the trans tuning upgrade will let you change all those values to what you want.

Old 01-31-2012 | 12:42 PM
thecause17
|
Veteran

Yeah I've been thinking buying one and raising the 2-3 shift point so that when it does lock up it would already be at a higher rpm and not bog down. I had a 3865 before but had issues with their initial release of the trans tuning so I got rid of it. I've also been throwing around the idea of regearing the truck 3.92 and getting rid of the 3.55's.

Old 01-31-2012 | 01:44 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thecause17
I've also been throwing around the idea of regearing the truck 3.92 and getting rid of the 3.55's.
I'm kicking myself for not switching to 4.10 or 3.92 when I had my LSD installed.

Old 01-31-2012 | 05:11 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yes, superchips will solve that problem.

Old 01-31-2012 | 05:22 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

Sorta a thread jack but the super chips is for the 4.7 right? Not 3.7?

Old 01-31-2012 | 10:54 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by thecause17
I wanted to get some opinions off of some of you who have dealt with the dealers in the past on reflashes and programming.

I have one complaint about this truck that really annoys me. I absolutely hate when the torque converter locks up while I'm in 3rd gear at low rpms. It's not such a problem on a flat surface, but it'll do it on a hill at low throttle/rpms. It'll do this at such a low rpm when I'm on a hill that after it locks up I end up chugging at 1100rpms and then the truck will have to unlock it again anyway and then repeat. I've been on hills where it'll toggle back and forth over and over again. It takes a lot of pedal or switching to tow/haul mode to avoid this from happening. It's a drivability issue that bothers me on a daily basis. It doesn't do this in tow haul mode. I'd drive around in tow haul all of the time if it wasn't for the fact that the truck rarely goes into 5th.

Anyways, my question is, have any of you dealt with dealers on reflases on things other than just the basic updates? Is this something they'd be willing to change for me for a fee? I've had them change my tire size before no questions asked, but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to alter something like this. I either want the lock-up for 3rd gear disabled completely or the range raised so it can't do it under the conditions that cause it to lag so badly afterwards.

My Hemi Grand Cherokee doesn't do it, and I believe it's the same transmission.

Opinions? Experiences?
Originally Posted by rebel4055
Sorta a thread jack but the super chips is for the 4.7 right? Not 3.7?
dood go to the dealer and ask them to flash it should be a 52.50 charge, i work at the dealership im a writer, most of the time the pcm has problems and a basic flash brings it back to normal. They can also make sure there isnt any faults, and they can READ everything your trans. does.

yes a 4.7

Old 01-31-2012 | 10:55 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I'm kicking myself for not switching to 4.10 or 3.92 when I had my LSD installed.

can i ask why everyone goes with an lsd? didnt yours come with posi? **** if i stomp the pedal i leave two tire marks, and they both look the same.

Old 01-31-2012 | 10:59 PM
thecause17
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by varnerhba
can i ask why everyone goes with an lsd? didnt yours come with posi? **** if i stomp the pedal i leave two tire marks, and they both look the same.
No they don't all come with it,most don't have the lsd, and no dodge comes with posi, that's a GM term...

Old 01-31-2012 | 11:01 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

I got a one wheel wonder lmao

Quick Reply: Dealers and reflashes: your experiences?