3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dodge Dakota Information, Specs & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Dakota Information, Specs & Pics

2006 Dodge Dakota Information

Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dakota is Dodge’s midsize pickup truck offered in Club Cab, and Quad Cab versions. The Dakota debuted as a 1987 model and is actually a midsize truck that is larger than many of its compact competitors, even offering a V8 engine. The Dakota was redesigned for 1997 with exterior styling similar to the full-size Dodge Ram and the third-generation Dakota debuted for 2005.
New for 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dakota was all-new from the ground up for 2005, and the 2006 Dodge Dakota adds four new high-performance versions: R/T, Night Runner, TRX, and TRX4 Off-Road. The Dakota R/T is available as either a Club Cab or Quad Cab and is powered by a 260-horsepower 4.7-liter High Output V8 engine with a sport appearance package in Inferno Red, Brilliant Black or Solar Yellow that includes a hood scoop, chrome exhaust tips, R/T instruments, and 17-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels. Dakota Night Runner is available on the SLT trim and includes black paint, black chrome grille, black 17-inch chrome wheels, Night Runner embroidered on the headrests and a black center stack. The TRX (2WD) and TRX4 Off-Road (4WD) packages include 16-inch aluminum wheels, painted monotube shocks, tow hooks and off-road tires. TRX4 Off-Road also includes one-inch increased ride height, anti-spin differential, skid plates and heavy-duty cooling.

The Dodge Dakota’s capability advantage continues with more room between the wheel wells compared with the competition, but Dakota maintains its bed wall height for easing loading. The Dodge Dakota Club Cab features a six-foot, six-inch bed and the Dakota Quad Cab features a five-foot, three-inch bed.

Class Dominating Power and the Only V-8s in its Class:
Now with two V-8 offerings, Dodge Dakota dominates the mid-size segment in power and torque. With a powerful standard 3.7-liter Magnum V-6 rated at 210 horsepower and 235 lb.-ft. of torque, the new Dodge Dakota offers a six-percent improvement in fuel efficiency and improved power over the 3.9-liter Magnum V-6. The 4.7-liter V-8 Magnum is rated at 230 horsepower at 4,600 rpm and 290 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,600 rpm, while the new 4.7-liter High Output Magnum V-8 further eclipses the competition in both power and torque with 250-plus horsepower and 300 lb.-ft. plus of torque. Both V-8 engines are rated between three and four-percent more fuel efficient than the previous Dodge Dakota V-8 engines.

Full-Size Truck Capability and Comfort:
New interiors improve comfort levels on both Dakota Club Cab and Dakota Quad Cab models, with more interior room than all other mid-size pickups. The Dodge Dakota Quad Cab offers the most overall interior space in its class with available six-passenger seating. The 2006 Dodge Dakota also becomes the first mid-size pickup to offer heated cloth seats.

The Dakota Club Cab becomes the standard cab offering of the all-new Dakota. With forward facing rear seats and new standard rear-hinged access doors, the Club Cab’s individual rear seats provide seating for two adults in greater comfort than the previous three-passenger seat. For added versatility, folding rear seat cushions provide 30.0 cu. ft. of storage behind the front seats, an increase of 4.0 cu. ft.

At almost seven inches wider than the new Chevrolet Colorado, the new 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab is roomier than all other mid-size pickups, providing adult-size rear seating for three. Both front seat tracks on Quad Cabs and the driver’s seat track on Club Cab have 8.7 inches of travel to improve comfort. The Club Cab front passenger seat has an ample 7.5 inches of travel. With the rear seats of the Quad Cab folded, there is 37.1 cu. ft. of storage space behind the front seats, an increase of 7.2 cu. ft.

-Matt-

Old 12-03-2005, 10:25 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2006 Dodge Dakota Information, Specs & Pics

What's the price for the R/T?

Old 12-04-2005, 12:06 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

I haven't been able to find much information on the 06' RT. Dodge.com doesn't even have anything.

-Matt-

Old 12-04-2005, 12:33 AM
FONTANA MOTORSPORTS
Professional

YEA, THATS THE WAY DODGE IS.....I ASKED THEM ABOUT THE ACR NEON BACK IN 1995 WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT AND THEY HADNT A CLUE.....I WEN TO THE DEALER ABOUT THE HOOD SCOOP FOR MY 05 AND THEY HAVE NO PRICING OF INFO, EVEN THOUGH ITS LISTED AS A ACCESORY IN THE BROCURE.......THEY ARE VERY LATE WITH 06 INFO....M NOT HAPPY

Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Glk21C
Professional

The R/T opt has an MSRP of around $1850, but after finally finding out what it comes with, I concluded it wasn't worth it.

"The Dakota R/T is available as either a Club Cab or Quad Cab and is powered by a 260-horsepower 4.7-liter High Output V8 engine with a sport appearance package in Inferno Red, Brilliant Black or Solar Yellow that includes a hood scoop, chrome exhaust tips, R/T instruments, and 17-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels."

Yes, the 4.7L HO comes with the R/T, but the reality is you have to select and pay for the 4.7L HO engine/tranny first, then you are able to select the R/T opt. R/T also does not let you select heated front seats. You can only get the R/T in an SLT, and only one of the 28* pkgs. According to someone who works at Dodge corporate, they have also discontinued Black as an available coler on the Dakota this year. And Inferno Red is not the red, it is Flame Red. White should be the replacement in the R/T for Black. If I remember right, you can not get leather seats with the R/T, only the cloth, so if you were stuck on leather you are out of luck

The is nothing wrong with what Viper posted as that is the press release sent out from Dodge, which I have found out is very misleading/wrong.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

So, what would the point be to buying the R/T if you can just go out and buy the SLT or the Laramie with the HO engine, and slap the R/T badge on it? Of course, you could change out the seats for some leather ones that are aftermarket instead of keeping stock in it. Dodge went stupid with the R/T this year. They should have also lowered it a little, put some new R/T type wheels on it, instead of the Laramie/SLT wheels. Made the scoop a functional one at that too.

Oh well.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Having owned a 2000 and 2001 Dakota, there is no way in hell you could ever pay me enough money to buy one of the new Dakotas. They are FUGLY. They look like someone from Ford designed them.

I'm glad I went with a car, but if I had went with another truck, I would have had to go with a Ram.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:05 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

Too bad. I've owned both and to tell you the truth, I love my 05 better than my 99. I've had more people talk to me about the 05 than the 99. Wanting to know more about the truck. I've got a friend that works next door that wants to buy one and he told me the more he sees mine the more he wants one. Honest truth.

But everybody has an opinion.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
TheOtherBear

Took me a while to get used to the looks, but I like it now, and I get complimented on it regularly also.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I didn't like the new looks as well, but now they've grown on me. It's a gorgeous truck.

-Matt-

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Dakota Information, Specs & Pics