3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transfer case stuck in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:26 PM
dopree martinez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Transfer case stuck in neutral

My Dakota is a 2006 4x4 4dr v8. After reconnecting the battery i heard a shifting noise a jumped in started it up and it stopped. I put it in D, nothing . it rolls backwards. I put it R, again nothing. Now i look at the switch and that's when I realize that the noise I heard was the transfercase shifting.. the N light is red and I can turn the switch to 2 and 4 but nothing happens. Still stuck in N. This has never happened before. Checked all the fuses. There is power to the switch obviously. Electrical is not my thing but I believe my next move is to check the power to the transfercase shift motor. . Am I going in the right direction here to find the problem. Not that it matters but I am a woman and I try do do the work my self if I can. I can remove and replace parts but trouble shooting is harder for me. Especially if its electrical

Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 PM
dopree martinez

Update:
I got under my truck. I found the switch motor but I cant get the connector off so I can check it for power. If I could afford to take it into a shop I would but, i cant. Someone help a girl out pleaseee. What do I do now.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:33 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is a similar thread from 2012, his resolution is at the end.
]
There should be a code stored in the PCM, that should at least point you to the possible causes.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:35 AM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The shift motor controls a mechanical fork that engages four wheel hi / low could be that. Youtube has a few vids

Old 03-17-2020, 01:15 PM
dopree martinez

thanks dakotaff thats it exactly
i am pulling the shift motor today, about 1/2 done now.
i do have a question and it prob doesnt matter but
can any one tell me if i can put it up on ramps or do the wheels need to be up in the air like on jack stands
cause its not as easy as the vid on utube, but they never are.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:16 PM
lantzd
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I literally just had to do the same thing on my 05 Dakota. I pulled it up on ramps and mine was stuck in 4WD so I couldn't spin the front driveshaft. I had to pull the driveshaft off and then I had to take off the yoke coming out of the transfer case. The nut holding it on is pretty large and had to use a large socket on an impact gun. As soon as I pulled the yoke off the output shaft splines I had ATF fluid that leaked out so dont lay under it when you slide it off. Once the yoke was off I had easy access to the shift motor. The new motor gear key was not in the same position as mine so I had to use a adjustable pliers to turn the gear on the transfer case so it lined up. Once it did everything worked perfect. Its more of a job then I thought it would be, and the videos I saw they didnt take the driveshaft off, I didnt see any way to remove it with the driveshaft on. Turns out my the end of the driveshaft that attaches to the transfer case output shaft yoke had a ripped boot so I ended up buying a whole new driveshaft as well.

The following users liked this post:
dopree martinez (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:57 PM
dopree martinez

Jack stands would of been the better way to go for sure. now we know. Tks for ur input

Old 03-26-2020, 01:11 PM
dopree martinez
Default Update

I removed the front driveshaft and the shift motor. Manually put it in 2 w dr. Now I can atleast get around to a junkyard to see if I can find a used one when i have the cash. I'm going to open up the shift motor see what's going on in there . Maybe I can fix it. Maybe not, but wont know until I try, right. Thanks for all the help. I will let u know what I find inside the case , wish me luck and stay safe everyone.

Quick Reply: Transfer case stuck in neutral