3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

730N copying large number of MP3's from USB to HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
fbures
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 730N copying large number of MP3's from USB to HD

Hi,

I have questions regarding copying a large number of MP3's from USB to HD.
I have approx. 18GB of music on the USB.

How should the directory structure of the USB be organized? Is it possible just to copy Music folder from iTunes onto the USB and then copy it onto the HD, or does the 730N require to have all MP3's in the same root level directory?

Manual says that the speed of transfer is 2MB/sec, hence 120 MB per minute hence 7.2GB per hour. So the transfer from my USB will take up to 3 hours. How am I supposed to keep the 730N system alive for such a long time? Would not it shut down automatically after some time? If yes, is it possible to resume the transfer later on or would the subsequent attempt to transfer the MP's start from the beginning, thus creating a never ending process?

Where should I put my playlists? Can they be in a separate directory on the USB, or should they be put in the same directory as MP3's?

Thanks for any advice or pointer

Cheers
Frank

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM
SadaraS
Professional

1. The mp3s need to be on the root of the USB drive. When they are copied, you will have a folder on the HDD that has a label for the USB drive, i.e. USB Drive 1, the second copy you do will create a 2nd folder.

2. The car has to be running for the files to copy over. If it's going to take 3 hours to copy, then you need to have the vehicle running for 3 hours. Fun!

3. Can't answer this, I've been creating my playlists on the radio, not on the USB drive. I suspect it won't accept playlists from the USB drive. I can't confirm this though.... someone else may have better information.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM
dwolson2
Professional

You don't have to have the vehicle running, just in ACC mode. Hit the button one time without your foot on the break to get to ACC, twice for run.

Then hook up a trickle charger to your battery. That will replace the lost current from the radio being on. However, a tricle charger isn't enough to run an amp, so turn the music off(with the volume button) so you don't kill your battery. That will work for at least 15min,(thats the longest I have sat in that mode) but should stay that way for the 3 hours, unless dodge put some trip to shut it off after so many minutes.(doubtfully)

Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Shaun.Perry
Rookie

Or You can get a portable hard drive or USB stick, large enough for your music. Format it in FAT32 and then develop the folder structure on the computer Because the 430 RHB reads it like windows folder structure. Not sure on the 730N. Also a tid bit of information is that if you have all the info filled out in itunes or WMP it should keep in the gracenote section and when you plug it in you have all the artist info, song, track, album.....etc..... that way it is removable and time, gas isnt wasted and your not relying on a car HDD to keep all your music.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM
dwolson2
Professional

Originally Posted by Shaun.Perry
Or You can get a portable hard drive or USB stick, large enough for your music. Format it in FAT32 and then develop the folder structure on the computer Because the 430 RHB reads it like windows folder structure. Not sure on the 730N. Also a tid bit of information is that if you have all the info filled out in itunes or WMP it should keep in the gracenote section and when you plug it in you have all the artist info, song, track, album.....etc..... that way it is removable and time, gas isnt wasted and your not relying on a car HDD to keep all your music.
good to know! does it read faster than the ipod? my ipod is rediculous slow to play off of(at least to start it)

Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Shaun.Perry
Rookie

Originally Posted by dwolson2
good to know! does it read faster than the ipod? my ipod is rediculous slow to play off of(at least to start it)
I havent tried an ipod in mine to know for sure but it has some lag but not enough to even care about. Also it seems to have alot better sound quality then playing through an ipod or my android phone in my case. I think the lag in change of track is due to a lack of processor speed and read/write times... good luck it works great.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:24 AM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwolson2
You don't have to have the vehicle running, just in ACC mode. Hit the button one time without your foot on the break to get to ACC, twice for run.

Then hook up a trickle charger to your battery. That will replace the lost current from the radio being on. However, a tricle charger isn't enough to run an amp, so turn the music off(with the volume button) so you don't kill your battery. That will work for at least 15min,(thats the longest I have sat in that mode) but should stay that way for the 3 hours, unless dodge put some trip to shut it off after so many minutes.(doubtfully)
There is a shut off timer for ACC power. It's about 15 minutes. So in order to go for 3 hours, the engine would have to stay on!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
There is a shut off timer for ACC power. It's about 15 minutes. So in order to go for 3 hours, the engine would have to stay on!
Or in "Run" mode. That way it won't ever shut off and you aren't burning gas.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM
fbures

Originally Posted by JRRF
Or in "Run" mode. That way it won't ever shut off and you aren't burning gas.
I will be driving to Cleveland, OH next Friday with enough time to download the USB to the HD during my trip.

I just have one last question:
If the transfer from a USB stick to the HD is interrupted and a new transfer is initiated from the same USB stick later on, will it transfer the files that are on the HD already, or just the files that has not been transferred yet?

Thanks
Frank

Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
safford197
Professional

If the transfer is interrupted it will have to start from the beginning. I have only a little over 8gb and gave up since it's so stupidly slow. For less then $12 I bought a usb drive no bigger then my thumb nail from amazon.

Amazon Amazon

It works nicely...

Quick Reply: 730N copying large number of MP3's from USB to HD