3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Durango Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012 | 03:48 PM
One Tuff Citadel
|
Default 2012 Durango Rear End Noise

I just purchased a brand new 2012 Durango Citadel awd and it currently has 950 miles on it. There has been a horrible road noise/clunk/thud sound in the rear end anytime you hit a bump or rough spot in the road, since we noticed it driving home from the dealer. I took it in last week and the tech heard it and said they would try to figure it out. A day later I heard from the service advisor who said they dropped the rear tire and tightened everything up and the sound was gone. I picked it up after hours since I had to work till after they closed and the first rough spot in the road the sound was there. I called the service advisor back and he asked me if I knew what was causing the sound and I told him no, so he said bring it back in and they will try to figure it out.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what it may be? I don't even like driving my brand new car and thinking maybe I made a bad choice.

Old 11-11-2012 | 09:01 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Have them look at the the wheel well panels (not sure what they are made of, it's some kind of fiber). The one on the rear passenger side of mine makes a thud over bumps. I crawled underneath and started moving stuff around and tapping on everything. The inside-most grommet (you can't see it because the tire is in the way) that holds my rear passenger inner panel on let's it move a little. This bit of movement causes a knock/thud near the top of it where it hits against something. I pushed the grommet in real good and the noise went away......but it has returned. I'm thinking of using a nut, bolt, and some decent washers.

That's a vague description, but it might get them looking in the right area. I hope that helps.

Old 11-11-2012 | 09:37 PM
One Tuff Citadel
|

Thanks! I will check that first thing in the morning. I hope that's all it is.

Old 11-12-2012 | 09:30 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by One Tuff Citadel
Thanks! I will check that first thing in the morning. I hope that's all it is.

One,

If the dealer cannot solve the issue for you contact the Chrysler Assistance Center and they will get a Chrysler tech involved to help solve the issue. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Old 11-13-2012 | 04:57 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Not sure if the Citadel rides on self leveling shocks with the tow package, but I have a '12 R/T and I experienced a clunking noise from left rear from day 1. The dealer replaced the rears shocks, and while the problem improved, the shock replacement did not totally solve the problem, but it is a place to start for you. I attached the link to my original thread.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...23#post2876423

Hope this helps

Old 12-21-2012 | 08:03 PM
moparuser
Default rear bumpy noise

Originally Posted by kingofwylietx
Have them look at the the wheel well panels (not sure what they are made of, it's some kind of fiber). The one on the rear passenger side of mine makes a thud over bumps. I crawled underneath and started moving stuff around and tapping on everything. The inside-most grommet (you can't see it because the tire is in the way) that holds my rear passenger inner panel on let's it move a little. This bit of movement causes a knock/thud near the top of it where it hits against something. I pushed the grommet in real good and the noise went away......but it has returned. I'm thinking of using a nut, bolt, and some decent washers.

That's a vague description, but it might get them looking in the right area. I hope that helps.
Hey there folks, forget about the dealer clue…and don't replace shocks because! I was having the same freaking problem in my R/T, I did notice the same issue in all the four D that I test (Citadel, Crew, R/T left rear bumpy noise and the sales guy no clue!!!) after check every single part I realized that the plastic spare tire cover was ricocheting against the muffler and shimmy itself when a bump or uneven asphalt, temporary I just fixed the cover with a steel wire, and I have in mind to cut the end part as soon as I get some time, meanwhile no more noise as if I'm driving miss Daisy.

Old 08-19-2013 | 11:09 PM
78hemi13
Default Rear end Clunk Also

I just purchased a 2013 Durango r/t non load leveling and also have the exact problem noise and clunk in rear end I will look at the spare tire shield and see if I can tie it also I will report back

Old 08-19-2013 | 11:30 PM
V for Victory
All Star

Me too. Had the rear shocks replaced and the passenger side one was leaking, 2k miles on it. Problem back but not as bad yet. Now 3k miles. Someone figure this out. My dealer was great in fact I discussed the problem with them on the phone and they set up the appointment to replace them and ordered the parts prior to my scheduled day.

Last edited by V for Victory; 08-20-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2013 | 11:37 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

There is a current TSB for this, http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700513.pdf I guess a couple people have had this done and it has helped some but not fully. I am waiting for them to be replaced on mine right now, but the shocks have been on back order.

Old 08-20-2013 | 02:13 AM
78hemi13

The spare tire shield was not the problem I secured it against movement and still have the very prominent thunk/thud noise in rear end, seams to be left rear mostly, I believe it to be the shocks at least I hope it is, could someone send me a link to some good aftermarkets for the rear?

Quick Reply: 2012 Durango Rear End Noise