Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 11:28 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Your tuner selection will depends solely on what options you plan to use now and in the future.

The Cortex offers out of the box tuning for all Chrysler and Dodge vehicles we currently tune including diesel truck, gas car and gas truck applications.

The Cortex also offers the original owner a 2 year powertrain warranty for their vehicle provided that vehicle has less than 100K miles and in good working order prior to tuning.

Both the Flashpaq and Cortex programmers offer the same best in class performance and options for your vehicle. The Flashpaq differs from the Cortex by not offering the entire OEM application coverage but instead offers a separate part number for truck, car and diesel apps. The Flashpaq also does not offer an additional powertrain warranty like the Cortex does.

Both models are internet updateable and can download our free Advanced Data Acquisition software from the internet that will allow the user to datalog engine sensor data that can then be recorded to a personal PC through our internet update site.

With new options being released such as advanced trans tuning and TPMS adjustment features for example, the decision must be made at the time of purchase if you plan to take advantage of those options or not.

Because most fall within the "Grey" area of offroad tuning a Flashpaq programmer is the best choice at this point as those features will automatically void the Cortex warranty if downloaded.

Scott

Old 07-27-2010 | 05:34 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by xtremekramer
Sil,

I downloaded all 3 of your excel sheets for my new 3865 tuner. I am trying your newest trans settings. Installed them tonight. For some reason i didn't have the mph option you set it for so i choose the closest speed. Plan to play with it over the next few days. Is there a difference in application/style of your 3 shift schedules for the 08? or are they just improvements over time for the same application?

I am currently running 87 tune TP set to superchips right now. I definitely plan on playing with TP as well since i tend to think it shifts slow. From what i have read thus far (pages 1-130 and then 214-todays posts) sounds like maybe 10% is a good starting point?

Once you have a shift schedule set, will switching my power setting reset or maintain my custom shift schedule?

My goal is to get a tune that helps or maintains my milage but has a much better then stock trans tune. Once i get this figured out I figure i can play with a more aggressive tune for fun around town.
The schedules are just a tweak here and tweak there of improvements. Use the latest one and work from there.

10% for TM is a good starting point. We found, during testing, that 8% or thereabouts produced the quickest shifts. Some trucks may respond differently. (one of our testers liked 4.6%)

If you switch tunes, via the advance tuning option, your current schedule will be saved and used. I always recheck my settings before I re-tune. It's an extra step, but I prefer it.

Sil

Old 07-28-2010 | 08:45 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Thanks Sil. I have been running your latest tune for almost a week now. Starting to figure out where i may want to tweek it, now to figure out which settings really need to be changed. Currently have my TM set to 13. I am going to try 10 tonight. 13 was better but still not great.

Question, How do i control my mds without turning it off. I read some where on here that the sc will allow for better gas milage by allowing it be on at slow speeds lower part throttle and off at higher throttle. Trying to figure out how to do this. Also is there any way for the sc to tell you whether its on or off when data logging? Didn't see it when i was going through it today but there are quite a few things that i am not sure what they are either.

After playing with my sc this week, seems like it has a lot more control for the advance trans options then my dsp did. However, seems to me the dsp had a better canned tune and was getting a little better milage (running both on 87 octane). I am currently trying 89 oct with the 87 tune and Sils trans schedule. The intersting part is 55-65mph i am getting 20-23 mpg....at 70-75mph it drops clear down to 16mpg (was getting 18-19 mpg with the dsp between 70-85mph). Both of these test were done on long highway trips GA to CO for the DSP and GA to Tampa FL for the SC). Speed limit around here is 65 and 70 for most highways. Plan is to try to tweek the tune to get it to my liking and hopefully gain just a little more mpg back in the end. Seems like my around town milage has dropped considerably but i can tell thats from the new trans schedule just by looking at how long it holds each gear before shifting.

Even if i don't gain my mpg back, the truck runs so much better then stock that it is well worth the money i paid for the sc and the advanced tune options.

Old 07-29-2010 | 04:29 AM
Bdogmcclella89

If anyone has any advice on how i can copy one of your schedules so i have something to start from something pretty aggressive. The only problem i have with the other ones that are in the previous threads is that i don't have excel and i don't want to pay 140 dollars just to view them. It would be for a 2006 1500 i already have the 91 octane programed and wanted to start with tm and shift schedule but i'm not very familiar with the whole programming thing. So any help would be appreciated thank you.

Old 07-29-2010 | 06:22 AM
hemiAK
Amateur

i have a 2006 hemi and I was just wondering if with the cortex programmer if u can disable the mds? I also heard if u disable the mds u need to change the weight of oil you're running in it? if thats true what weight should i switch to?

Old 07-29-2010 | 01:11 PM
Bdogmcclella89

Ok and yet another question. When setting the TM if i want to set it @ 10% do i set every level to 10% or how do i go about doing that?

Old 07-29-2010 | 01:58 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Yes, both programmers (3950, 3865) offer an MDS feature for your 06. I have never heard of anyone needing to change oil weight for this change.

if that were the case it would already be of a weight to handle the use of all 8 cylinders since the system works between the two modes stock.

Scott

Originally Posted by hemiAK
i have a 2006 hemi and I was just wondering if with the cortex programmer if u can disable the mds? I also heard if u disable the mds u need to change the weight of oil you're running in it? if thats true what weight should i switch to?

Old 07-29-2010 | 01:59 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Yes, each individual gear change up and down would require the adjustment to be done.

Scott

Originally Posted by Bdogmcclella89
Ok and yet another question. When setting the TM if i want to set it @ 10% do i set every level to 10% or how do i go about doing that?

Old 07-29-2010 | 06:29 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by Bdogmcclella89
The only problem i have with the other ones that are in the previous threads is that i don't have excel and i don't want to pay 140 dollars just to view them.
Download OpenOffice. It's free and opens excel files.

http://download.openoffice.org/

Sil

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:51 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Well, I started with a SC3865 and traded for a DSP U7137. Decided that I prefer the SC3865. Anyone wanting to trade their SC3865 for my DSP pls PM me, I have the U7137 tuner, USB cable and pwr supply.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates