Diablo Information and Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 AM
AWE Daniel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOT= Wide Open Throttle

People choose the Diablo over the superchips mainly because Diablo has support for custom tuning. If you have a lot of mods like cams and stuff you can get someone to create a tune for your specific situation. People like you and me with not much done to the engine use the canned tunes.

From what else I have read, superchips has a nice trans tuning options but since I have an 04 I cant do any of that. (not sure if s/c lets the 04s do it but whatever)

As for the tire size thing, I dont think whatever sensor that is making changes to is ever going to be perfectly calibrated, I change mine to my tire/rim size and its just like yours, still off.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:42 AM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Thanks for the info.

From what i have gotten so far...the 2008 trans allow mid shift up but don't allow down changes. But i still have about another 20 some pages to go to read this entire thread. Want to really understand what i am doing before i start trying those changes.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, reading a lot of pages usually sucks but there is also usually a lot of good info hidden in those pages.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xtremekramer
Hey guys. So i changed my rims/tires from 20/33's to 18/32.59. My speed is off by 2mph on the speedo (i know thats not huge but figured it was worth changing). Took the Truck to the dodge dealer...they wanted $130 for this!!! So I went to looking at programers. The sales guy at summit racing convinced me to go with the Diablo over the superchip that i went in to buy. Since i had done quite a bit of research on the super chip and non on this i came looking for something on the forum and found this sticky. so far i am on page 44 trying to learn as much as i can.

I have tried changing the tires both by putting in 285/65R18 and by putting in 32.5". When the first one didn't work i didn't figure the second one shouldn't work either since they are equivalent, and it didn't. So if i remember right some one early said to try the next size/up down till you get what you want. My question is if it is putting in the correct specific size, then why wouldn't this have fixed the problem? Seems a standard size wouldn't change from truck to truck when it comes to the speedometer?

I do all my own work on my truck, but when it comes to programing i am a complete newb. Can some tell me what WOT stands for? I figure i will get my shift points down first starting with what i found earlier on. Just trying to figure out what some of these other parameters effect and how. I am guessing non of these need to be changed until i make some big mods, but i would like to know what i really bought by not going with the superchip. I decided to go with it figure i would be doing more upgrades in the future and having a programmer up front that could handle them was well worth it. Now to try and figure out engine/trans tuning!

I am taking a trip from GA to CO next weekend. Decided to load the 87 performance tune to start with and play with it from there.
Welcome to the world of tuners. For a 08 nodel I personally think the Summit guy gave you bad information. SC really has great trans support over the DSP. Both SC and the DSP provides tires size change on my 03 model. Mine was set perfect and when the dealer reflashed my PCM he also tried to do me a favor and set my tire size. He got it wrong and now my base line is off so my old numbers don't work out right. I use a radar sign to dial it in, which works for me. You should be able set yours dead on using actual tire measurement. If not then the tuner isn't working right. Go on Diablo site and look at the support forum. Maybe you can get some guidance. What CROM are you using in your tuner? I have several starting with 9r03 thur 9r07 and 9t08a. I'm using 9r04 as it was the one that was suppose ti specifically address the ABS issue. Good luck...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

So you would have gone with a superchip over the diablo for an 08? That is interesting since most of what I have read on here is about how the dsp is better than the sc... Please explain since the dsp has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. From everyhing I have read they both do shift points but the diablo has more tuning capability.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

So 68 pages later I have made my way through the entire thread. Played with my dsp tonight and figured out that 31.5 put my speedometer back in line with where it should be. Not sure why my 32.59 tires require pa full inch lower setting..:but it is working. Now to figure out the tuning portion of this tool!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 never benifited from the SC trans control, but from what is being posted the SC trans control is the absolute best.I have only had my DSP for a short time and the tunes do not feel any stronger than the SC canned tunes. For the 08 I believe the trans control alone would make the SC a better choice. Have you read any of the SC threads?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Yeah. After reading the sc thread, I was ready to buy one. But the sales guy said the dsp could do every thing the sc could but was tunable. Said the sc wasn't adjustable. I was on the sc web site and knew what they listed for perameters...so when he showed me the info on the dsp I knew quite a few of the perameters listed could no be done by the super chip. I am currently running mostly stock. I plan to add a cat back, cai, throtle body spacer, and eventually headers. From what I have been reading the sc won't allow for the changes required. Am I wrong in my interpretation? Seems like thre is not any good side by side comparasons of the two. With hypertech and sc I was able to pul up the spec charts on their web pages and compare them side by side. Dsp doesn't have a chart with perameters called out (that I have found) semingly since it varies so much vehicle to vehicle. Since I am new to tuning I am basing my purchase purely off forums. Now that I got the tires set right I want to play with shift points. Can you explain the difference between how sc does shift point vs dec since you have bad both? No still have not gotten a good explination of mid shift.

Thanks in advance. There is a lot to learn when it comes to prgramers!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Ok did a test last night
tire size programed 32.5 inches
speedo/gps
30/28
40/38
50/48
60/58
70/68

tire size programed 32 inches
speedo/gps
30/29
40/39
50/49
60/59
70/69

tire size programed 31.5 inches
right on

not sure why it is off by 1 inch but it's reading correcly now. Did the experiment with 2 gps running side by side. Wish I knew where to find a radar sign near me to check it against a different source.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie
Default 08 Ram hemi

Hey guys,

Now that i got my tire settings figured out I am going to start playing with my tune. There was a base point set back somewhere in the 40s. Is this still the best starting point or has that changed any since then?

Can some explain mid shift and why they we are able to go up but not down with the tuning on it? with the up/down issue of DSP, is the SC better then for this situation or is it really just not an issue in the end result?

Thanks ahead of time.

Quick Reply: Diablo Information and Reviews