3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pentastar V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM
superbike7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pentastar V6

I just read that Chrysler is starting production of it's new v6.
280hp and 260ft-lbs of torque as well as an increase in mpg's. It will eventually make it's way into the Ram and I'm curious what you guys think. 70 extra hp would suit me just fine.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be great, but the question is what tranny are they gonna mate it to? I plan on running my truck into the ground, so it's only really good if you plan on getting a new truck in a couple years and don't want a v8.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
superbike7
Rookie

Very true, if they don't put a manual in it I won't consider it.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i agree with the tranny issues.

this thread shoudl be renamed to "regretting a chrysler automatic transmission"

Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
jroy
Professional

I'm not a V6 guy but I figured I'd join in on the transmission discussion. Didn't Dodge stop putting manuals in all gas trucks? I think its wishful thinking that Dodge is going to smarten up and realize they need to offer manual gas trucks. I'd love to have a six speed in my truck.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jroy
I'm not a V6 guy but I figured I'd join in on the transmission discussion. Didn't Dodge stop putting manuals in all gas trucks? I think its wishful thinking that Dodge is going to smarten up and realize they need to offer manual gas trucks. I'd love to have a six speed in my truck.
Yea you're right, hopefully it won't be an issue I have to deal w/ anytime soon.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
xanadu62
Rookie

All I know, is that the 3.7L V6 absolutely HATES THE AUTO TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the feeling is mutual. If dodge upped the power of the motor, or reprogrammed the tranny cpu, it wouldn't be nearly so bad, but the trans panics WAY too much in my opinion. It goes : fiiirrrrssst, sEcoooooonnnnd, Thhhhiiiiiiirrrrrrd, ffffooooouuuuuurrrrrrthhhh, fifthoverdriveeeeeee (oh no, a 5% grad hill!), THIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD! You know! I need to get the wire diagram for this stupid trans so I can rig up my own paddle shift with lockup control. I personally would rather have an auto trans in a truck, but that's because I tow lots of stuff, and it's kind of hard to work a clutch, gas, brake, and lean out a window far enough to make sure that the car hauler trailer doesn't tear down your neighbors fence on the other side of a nearly blind hill you have no choice but to back over.......Yeah. The only other beef I have with the trans is the reverse gear itself. I've actually maxxed it out before. Why won't the trans allow for full use of the gear and motor to power over whatever you're on. But, if the new chrysler v6 bolts up, I might not have to build this one after all! (Sorry for the long post, just a lot of pent up issues coming out at once.)

Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 PM
ramoeight

Originally Posted by xanadu62
it wouldn't be nearly so bad, but the trans panics WAY too much in my opinion. It goes : fiiirrrrssst, sEcoooooonnnnd, Thhhhiiiiiiirrrrrrd, ffffooooouuuuuurrrrrrthhhh, fifthoverdriveeeeeee (oh no, a 5% grad hill!), THIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!
lol i got a good laugh over that... well said

Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
mkenyon91

haha, every time my truck downshifts into 3rd on the slightest incline the only thing i can think of is, "shoulda gotten a V8" haha. but i cant complain too much, this thing keeps up with my buddies 4.7 with headers, intake and such.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 AM
x99j
Rookie

i believe the pentestar will get the 545rfe? just like the current 3.7L in the 1500 ram has. mike

Quick Reply: Pentastar V6