3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

HAHA beat a CUMMINS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 PM
hemi slappin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAHA beat a CUMMINS!

great news haha i beat a cummins!! my buddy has a 2001 extended cab long bed 2500 with an edge programmer and we were headed out to the woods one night he kept pouring smoke on me so i got next to him on at the light and he just dumped silt all over me so we started rolling and took off and as i gave him the finger out the window i jumped out in front and he stayed at my tailgate till we got to 80 and i layed off seeing as we were going 40 over i didnt feel like going to jail lol but i got him and he wasnt to happy made me feel good so i thought i would tell the story and yes he knows how to drive and knows what he is doing...HEMI POWER!!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I noticed about diesels, since my dad has a 7.3 is that they just have a different kind of power. Hook up a trailer and it still doesn't seem to slow a diesel down. It sucks because my truck feels like a little baby everytime I drive it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Diesels aren't very fast, and even if they seem to be, that's not what they are made for. That's why I thought it was hilarious when Chevy came out with the Duramax, their advertisement slogan was "the fastest accelerating diesel in its class" or something to that affect. Who cares...who in their right mind is going to purchase a diesel for acceleration?

With that said, it was fun in college when I was driving a wreckers. We had this flatbed that would make a fire truck jealous with all the lighting. It was a leaked unit from a NASCAR track so it had all the governors and everything removed, and was built for performance to get to the race wreck quickly. Anyway, it was loaded down with a Ford SuperDuty on the back that the winch hardly seemed to want to pull up. At a stop light a Vette thought he was going to zip around me before his lane ended...FAT CHANCE. This wrecker was amazing at like 0-60, but then dogged right out. But any other wrecker that any of us have ever driven was nothing like this one, this was a special beast.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Dunno207
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
Diesels aren't very fast, and even if they seem to be, that's not what they are made for. That's why I thought it was hilarious when Chevy came out with the Duramax, their advertisement slogan was "the fastest accelerating diesel in its class" or something to that affect. Who cares...who in their right mind is going to purchase a diesel for acceleration?
Haha. I agree with this never was a fan of chevy. The newer ones seem too unreliable my neighbors Durmax has been in the shop multiple times this year and all he does is pull a lawn trailor.....Not going to lie though the 2011 Powerstrokes are pretty beast I testdrove a F-450 and that thing spins the tires from a dead stop and im pretty sure knowing ford it has the towing capability to go with it. But end the end Dodge>all

Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dunno207
Haha. I agree with this never was a fan of chevy. The newer ones seem too unreliable my neighbors Durmax has been in the shop multiple times this year and all he does is pull a lawn trailor.....Not going to lie though the 2011 Powerstrokes are pretty beast I testdrove a F-450 and that thing spins the tires from a dead stop and im pretty sure knowing ford it has the towing capability to go with it. But end the end Dodge>all
Yeah, the contractor I was working for had a few all of them in and out of the dealer. 01, 03, 05, and 07. He was REAL upset when I showed up with my brand new Hemi and it pulled the bobcats pretty much just as good as any of his trucks he's ever had. And I only have a 3.55, what if I bought a 2500 with a lower rear end? Cuz he could pull minutely better...at take off he blew me away up till about 25 MPH, and MPG he killed me...but he bought a truck designed to pull, I bought one for ride comfort and gas mileage as I didn't plan on doing A LOT of towing..and it was THAT close to the truck built to tow. I remember driving one of his trucks with no load and decided to see what this fastest accelerating diesel can do. When I floored it, well, I eased into it as to not spin the tires, once to the wood, it started choking and bucking like it didn't want to go anymore. Let off to about 1/2, maybe 3/4 throttle and it'd take right back off. What kind of fastest accelerating diesel is this?? You have to feather the throttle to get the best acceleration??

Old 09-24-2010, 05:22 PM
hemi slappin
Professional

well i know diesels arent meant to race and stuff they are meant for pulling, but they are still fast idc what anyone says im a huge cummins fan and and fords are hard to beat but the duramax is a bad son of gun, and will run with the best of them, i have raced 2 powerstrokes a 7.3 and a 6.0 king ranch and got spanked by both! this was the first time i raced a cummins and it wasnt by much i got him... when it comes down to it diesels are fast whether thats what they are meant to do or not and talking about 2011 powerstrokes my buddy just got one and has a programmer straight pipe and an intake and ran a 13.8, 13.9, 13.8 in the 1/4 mile.... id say thats fast for a 4 door long bed 250

Last edited by hemi slappin; 09-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by hemi slappin
......... talking about 2011 powerstrokes my buddy just got one and has a programmer straight pipe and an intake and ran a 13.8, 13.9, 13.8 in the 1/4 mile.... id say thats fast for a 4 door long bed 250
That's fast for any vehicle! I don't think I'll ever see that out of my shortbed Hemi, or my pocket-rocket ricer. I'd be happy to be in the 14's, though I'm not there yet. Not even on my way yet.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
sbsga
Professional

i have to say there is not a pickup on the planet that sounds better than a 12valve cummins at idle, I love sitting next to one at a red light. and if you think your hemi tows near the capability of a diesel put 15,000lbs behind it, i love my hemi, its quick but i would never expect it to pull a load like that and i also dont expect to get 500,000 miles out of it.

Last edited by sbsga; 09-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
Diesels aren't very fast
lol...

Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by sbsga
i have to say there is not a pickup on the planet that sounds better than a 12valve cummins at idle, I love sitting next to one at a red light. and if you think your hemi tows near the capability of a diesel put 15,000lbs behind it, i love my hemi, its quick but i would never expect it to pull a load like that and i also dont expect to get 500,000 miles out of it.
Well, considering the excavator was 13,000 lbs dry alone, not counting the bucket on it, not counting the extra buckets, and all the fluids in it, then the weight of the trailer itself. Now, I know my truck wasn't made for this, and if I was doing it very much, it'd kill the truck fast, and I def don't expect hardly 200,000 let alone 500,000 out of it. My next truck will be a diesel...unless we count the toy I want to build.

Quick Reply: HAHA beat a CUMMINS!