3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

detroit trutrac lsd

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
03celicagts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detroit trutrac lsd

Two ques.

First anybody on here run bigger than 33" tires with this lsd and have no problems.

Second whos some decent shops to order online from??

Exchange rates looking pretty good at the moment, want to take advantage of the high canadian dollar.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't run it, one of the two reasons I did not buy it back when I did my gears and LSD swap is because the shop I chose specifically told me that the DTT would not honor warranty if the unit was run on tires over 33". The other reason was back when I was looking into it, Detroit was in the process of being taken over by Eaton, there was a down time in manufacturing and I simply couldn't find a DTT for the Chrysler 9.25" rear end. So I went with Auburn, an LSD I had used before.

That said, I personally know guys with both 35" and 37" tires who run the DTT and have not reported any issues...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-27-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 AM
05akram
Amateur
Talking

I ran mine with 35's with no problems for 2 years. Try 4wheel parts, Summit Racing, Randy's Ring and Pinion. There are lot out there. These places I have had experience with and it was great at each one.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive got 36" with the Auburn LSD. I bought mine from a guy on these forums

Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 PM
03celicagts
Professional

Yea I know Im flip flopping here, but been doing a ton of reading. Trutrac seems like an awesome product but it states in the manual not for tire dia larger than 32". **** on that.

Hey Hammer or Weed are u guys running the Pro series in the 9.25" chrysler? Cause I was on the Auburn Gear site and they only have the performace series listed for the 9.25" chrysler rear end.

Hammer for yours what friction modifier are u using with the lucas conventional?

Also im keeping the stock gears but is there anything else I should have changed when I have this lsd installed?

Oh well.

Last ques, what supplier did u guys use??

Last edited by 03celicagts; 01-28-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't want the pro series if you use your truck on the street, the bias is too high. That would be for the track only, IMO.

I believe the last fluid change I used a bottle of Ford modifier, but I don't think there is enough difference from brand to brand to matter.

I bought mine from 4 Wheel Parts, they did my gears and price matched the Auburn and offered to install it for free IF I bought it from them and had it done when they did my gears. There ain't a whole lot more work involved to installing a LSD when you are installing gears as well.

You don't need to purchase anything else but the LSD (and fluid for the diff & RTV, obviously)...

Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 AM
03celicagts
Professional

A little update. I did some phoning around talked to several different eaton/detroit distributors and I found out u can indeed run up to a 37" or 38" tire with the trutrac. Just to make sure I phoned up eaton differentials and spoke to one of the techs and confirmed. I was told the manual thats on the eaton site currently is actually old spec.

Even spoke with one of the guys at 4 wheel parts they confirmed this. So for anybody else wondering out there...

Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by 03celicagts
A little update. I did some phoning around talked to several different eaton/detroit distributors and I found out u can indeed run up to a 37" or 38" tire with the trutrac. Just to make sure I phoned up eaton differentials and spoke to one of the techs and confirmed. I was told the manual thats on the eaton site currently is actually old spec.

Even spoke with one of the guys at 4 wheel parts they confirmed this. So for anybody else wondering out there...
Yeah I posted about that a few years ago when the issue came up in the 2nd gen section. I still have my email archived (Aug 08) from Scott at Eaton saying the limiting size is 38". You'll be fine.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1391782-post28.html

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-04-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added link for reference
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 PM
03celicagts
Professional

So i got the unit installed, been driving around for a few days now. Cant even tell its there. No whinning sound just nice quiet smooth operation.

However when I tested it out I found a nice straight road with nobody around. The s bound lane covered with hard pack snow and ice, N bound lane nice dry ashpault. Figured perfect time to test her out, I stopped then hit the gas. The tire on the ice started spinning, then slowed up as the tire on the pavement grabbed traction. Worked but i could hear a distinct noise coming from the diff. Are the trutracs supposed to make a whinning sound when they kickin??

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 AM
05akram
Amateur

The one I had did make a noise when I was off roading when one of the tires was loaded with the weight and the other started spinning. As soon as I heard it I stopped. So is it normal or a good thing I dont know, but I did experience noise with it at that time. Other wise the Truetrac is SUPER smooth.

Quick Reply: detroit trutrac lsd