3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2008 4.7l lost time

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 PM
bluedsteel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 4.7l lost time

Yes, it lost time on the right side last Saturday--at 55mph. Happened suddenly with no warning.

Got it towed to a dealer and after they removed the valve covers last week, found only the right side intake valves, lifters and cam wrecked. They have ordered a complete new head and timing chain set.

They have only bore scoped the cylinders so far and say everything "seems" to be ok inside, but won't know for sure until the head is removed (waiting to get the new head). Is it possible that in this type of failure that the intake valves won't hit the pistons?

Under warranty until May since I bought it used. Only has 19,500 miles on it.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
That1guy
Veteran

The 4.7 is an interference motor. So you'll want to replace the piston because at least one has struck a valve.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 PM
i r grunt
Professional

What does losing time mean? (Sorry im a noob)

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
bluedsteel

Originally Posted by i r grunt
The timing chain somehow slipped on the right side causing the timing to become wrong. Which then wrecked just about everything in the head.

A co-worker recently had their timing belt replaced on a PT Cruiser and I said "that's why I like timing chains"--CURSED MYSELF.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Originally Posted by i r grunt
You pistons are on a crankshaft that spins allowing the pistons to move up and down. Your valves are opened and closed when the camshaft spins and pushes on them or lets off and the spring closes it. Both of these must be in prefect timing with each other so the valves open and close when needed. A chain called a timing chain is what connects the two shafts together or sometimes a belt.

The design of the 4.7 along with most newer motors is that if the crankshaft and camshaft aren't in prefect time the cylinder will come up and strike the valve causing damage to both. Thats why its called an interference motor.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM
bluedsteel

Dealership pulled the head and said that they found the bolt that locks the cam to the timing gear sheared off and appears to have left the right side of the engine free wheeling.

They are waiting for the parts to come in, new right head with all new internals. They said that the pistons looked fine, but one intake valve got bent up and stuck in the head.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a mess but at least happy to hear everything is getting worked out in your favor.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 PM
bluedsteel

Got the Ram back on Thursday afternoon, seems to be running great.

They told me to take it easy for a couple hundred miles.

In addition to the new complete head and timing sprocket, they replaced the timing chain cover and right timing chain tensioners. Now the 4.7l startup tick (15-20 seconds), that has been there since I bought it, has quieted to just about nothing.

The water pump looks as shiny as the timing chain cover and head, possible it came assembled that way? No dust at all.

Quick Reply: 2008 4.7l lost time