3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Probably the stupidest question ever asked on here

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably the stupidest question ever asked on here

Well all of you may think that i am a real idiot after i ask this question. But i just bought a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn and sold my 2002 Ram and i went out to take off the rear tires and they wouldnt come off. I took off the lug nuts and nuthin at all would budge. Is there somethin that i am missing, that the tires wouldnt come off the backs. Havent tried the fronts yet. Like i said, sorry for the stupid question but i need to get to the bottom of this. Thanks guys

Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Try using a rubber mallet and hit the rubber (tire) in multiple locations, it will eventually break loose. Your tire is probably stuck (outdoor elements leading to rust) which is very common. My '07 Ford Explorer has that issue everytime I rotate the tires.

Last edited by POWER SEDAN; 03-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
twitchyfinger

No such thing as a stupid question only stupid mistakes when questions are not asked. Plus you got my attention and had to know what the question was. As for an answer kick the s*#t out of the sidewall of the tire, use a dead blow hammer, a sledge hammer, a helmet, your head and RAM it, pardon that pun! Kidding on that last one.
Dirt, rust, mag chloride, and road salt can get in between the wheel and hub/ rotor and make them stick like glue. Give them a little persuasion they should come off. I usually kick the top of the tire with the heel of my foot. Should you break out a hammer careful not to hit your rims.
Now if none of the above works there's another trick I have used more for dually's but works the same. put the lug nuts back on but loose so they are not tight against the rim. Start the truck put it in gear and give the throttle a goose and then hit the breaks really quick that will usually break a seized rim loose! Anything you try be careful not to hurt yourself and or your truck!!!
Hope that helps...

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

yeah he's right about kicking the tires! haha ive had to do that more than a few times!
if at first you dont suceed get a bigger hammer!
they WILL come off i had a tire one time that i would have sworn someone welded onto the hub! i mean i litteraly beat the living hell out of this thing with a ten pound sledge for 20 minutes and finally got out the blow torch and started heating the rim to get it off! which of course lit the half a bottle of pb blaster on fire i had used earlier! lmao!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

Okay good, i guess it wasnt so dumb after all..just have to beat on it more lol ..good deal..I really appreciate the help too..glad it is a common thing and not somethin that is just with me. Thanks again

Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

someone just ask this question about a week ago lol
yea just kick it

Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to life owning a dodge. Rust forms on the hub and crazy glues its self to your pretty aluim rims. 2500 Rams are esp prone to this, and I have had my fair share of flats during the cold, base ball bat or a small sledge wrapped on the side wall gets the tire off.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Ben D.
Champion

you gotta beat the everloving hell out of it. Had something go into a tire last night on the highway and tire went flat in a minute... basically the tire change itself took 25 minutes.. but i spent 30 minutes kicking the tire to get it off. so all in all over an hour spent on the side of the road at night.. I ended up having to lay under the truck and kick from the inside on the wheel as hard as i possibly could.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 AM
twitchyfinger

Originally Posted by Ben D.
you gotta beat the everloving hell out of it. Had something go into a tire last night on the highway and tire went flat in a minute... basically the tire change itself took 25 minutes.. but i spent 30 minutes kicking the tire to get it off. so all in all over an hour spent on the side of the road at night.. I ended up having to lay under the truck and kick from the inside on the wheel as hard as i possibly could.
Damn!

Pretty scary proposition considering your truck is sitting on just a temporary side of the road jack and not a heavy duty jack stand!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When i got my first flat tire it was cold rainy night. Like you I took the lugs off and the tire wouldnt come off. i beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallet and after about an hour I never got it off and called it quits. I out a can of fix-a-flat in it and took it to the tire shop the next morning and let them deal with it.

Quick Reply: Probably the stupidest question ever asked on here