3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

going to look at a 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default going to look at a 3rd gen

Hey guys!

Im sure none of you remember me, but I used to be VERY active on the board, primarily in the 2gen section

Ive owned my 2gen since 03 and its getting time to replace it.

Going to look at a 2003 2500 hemi 4door short bed. with 78K on the clock

what do I need to look at? im not familiar with the hemi's or the body style or suspension.

any help would be great!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 PM
fewmopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at this forum and check out the 2003 's and just look over the problems they have had and go from there

Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

I cant tell you much to look out for as I am new to the 3rd gens as well. I could tell you pretty much everything about a 2nd gen though, as I just sold mine which I owned for 11 years.

I can tell you though that the suspension is pretty much identical to your 2nd gen. The half tons on the other hand have IFS, so be glad you got yourself a 3/4 ton!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

While the 03 has low miles at 78k on it. Having the 5.7 in the 2500 is decent and do-able but not the way I would go in a 2500. Just think about it and make sure it is what you want.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
SHNOOL
Rookie

Lets see, and I am shocked no one else chimed in...
Front wheel bearing assembly (listen for grinding)
Fan clutch (search this forum what to look for)
Idler pulley(s) melting on 5.7, visual inspection
Rust above the wheel wells on the bed inside (3rd gen 2500s dont' seem to be as well protected - maybe just me)
My personal favorite... Exhaust Manifold bolts broken (exhaust leak). Bugger of a labor intensive thing to fix... but really just a time thing, parts are nothing.

Ball joints anyone (this is normal wear and all, but 70+k probably).

I hate my 3.73 rear on my HEMI 2500... shifts like mad without towing a thing going uphill... Check the glove box and look for the 4.10 rear, likely won't do that do you.

Otherwise the engine is strong as an ox. Obviously with that many miles a Cummins would be better! but would also likely double the price.

Good luck.

Oh, and I am not complaining, just noting the problems I had on my '04 2500, which 2 years ago had 74k miles (I am at 116k now), and I tow on a regular basis.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SHNOOL
Lets see, and I am shocked no one else chimed in...
Front wheel bearing assembly (listen for grinding)
Fan clutch (search this forum what to look for)
Idler pulley(s) melting on 5.7, visual inspection
Rust above the wheel wells on the bed inside (3rd gen 2500s dont' seem to be as well protected - maybe just me)
My personal favorite... Exhaust Manifold bolts broken (exhaust leak). Bugger of a labor intensive thing to fix... but really just a time thing, parts are nothing.

Ball joints anyone (this is normal wear and all, but 70+k probably).

I hate my 3.73 rear on my HEMI 2500... shifts like mad without towing a thing going uphill... Check the glove box and look for the 4.10 rear, likely won't do that do you.

Otherwise the engine is strong as an ox. Obviously with that many miles a Cummins would be better! but would also likely double the price.

Good luck.

Oh, and I am not complaining, just noting the problems I had on my '04 2500, which 2 years ago had 74k miles (I am at 116k now), and I tow on a regular basis.

Very informative. Thanks!

I just replaced the wheel bearings on my truck, and the ball joints are due... and its only at 75K miles. I have also noticed a fair amount of the older 3rd gens in my area with rust on the rear wheel wells

Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Matt99
Champion

the rust seems to be a hit and miss. I think its probably with all vehicles and not just Dodge. Ive seen 07s with em

any void int he paint caused by an abnormality in the sheet metal or air bubble in paint, material in the finish, etc can cause this, and the bad part is it will just get worse until its sanded away

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
shott8283

thanks for the info gents. Ill be going tomorrow afternoon to look at the truck. it apparently came from a no-salt state and has only been in my area for a short amount of time. its advertised as flawless. so ill will look into the items you guys listed.

i am concerned about the rear gears as well. ill be going from a 01 5.9L gasser 1500 that I used to plow with commercially. so hopefully the heavier duty truck will last a little longer in the plowing biz. I primarily need the truck b.c i have a daughter on the way, should be here end of this month and desperately need the room from the 4 doors. my regular cab isnt cutting it.

trust me. I would LOVE to go for the CTD but I just cant swing the money right now. Ill be ditching my 01 with 180K on the clock and its just starting to need a bunch of work. Hoping with the low miles on the 03 will be nice.

thanks again guys!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
fewmopar
Rookie

If this is from out of state I sure would run a carfax on it. Did it come from a flood area. Check it good dont let your eyes over ride your careful check out. Check transmission for burnt fluid and so on. Good luck

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM
shott8283

well its mine

went and looked at it today. its in pretty good shape. not 100% perfect so I talked him down a little bit. its got its little dings and bumps. but looks really good over all. nothing wrong with it mechanically. no hemi tick, tranny shifts great, 4X4 works great. not crazy about the tan interior color but i can make it work.

all in all its an awesome truck and i couldnt find any deal breakers.

the only concern I had was that the transmission pan had a little wetness around it but when i would touch it i couldnt get any trans fliud on my fingers.

im hoping to pick it up next week after the bank cuts the check.