3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Possible Fix to 2wd Level Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Fix to 2wd Level Rough Ride

Okay well I know that there are not too many of the 2wd with 2" and above levels, especially the 06-08 models. As some of you have seen with the 06-08 models, the UCA hits the spring bucket and shakes the whole truck. No good, it leads to a rough ride and jolts all day long. But it looks good!

Well after doing tons of research and trying this and that, I might have found something that helps (not totally relieves) the problem. So the UCA is still going to hit, and you will have some pretty rough bumps every once in awhile but not always

First, wrap your UCA where it hits. I used rubber mat. Works well, but I have to change it out every few months cause the UCA is sharp where it hits

Secondly, remove the sway bar. Thats right, remove your sway bar. Old people- before you gripe and logic me into putting mine back on, remember that we have compressed our stock springs with spacers and the travel isnt stock anymore. Therefore, the tight springs counteract this suspension travel and prohibit this excessive travel in corners. I have been driving with it off for about a week. I have a body lift and cannot turn too sharp anyway, but I have felt little change even in high speed cornering. I dont drive a lambo so no switchbacks at 60 for me.

The back of my swaybar and frame/LCA is beat and scratched to heck from the thing being overextended to start with due to the lowered LCAs. The end links were at a 35degree angle.

Just an idea, not for every truck and not for every driver. Little bumps are a ton better, so everytime you hit one it just shakes one side instead of the whole truck.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Does this striking occur even with longer upgraded shocks? I swear, every time I read something new about lifting our trucks, there's another downside. I'm certainly not going to use the spacers if something is going to be striking anything that it's not supposed to. Truly discouraging to say the least, as our trucks look like *** at factory-height.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Matt99
Champion

shocks dont help. 2in spacer isnt that bad but anything over that is horribly for 06-08

and there isnt a ton of aftermarket stuff that doesnt have some drawback.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They make 2WD trucks??? Kinda like buying a two legged horse...

I know, I know, I'm a wisea$$$. Just messin' with y'all...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Razorhawg
Veteran

hey matt did you not ever find out more on the spindle from chassis tech?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Matt99
Champion

no i didnt. but the only problem was it hitting the sway bar so if you remove it then you dont have to worry about the spindle hitting

Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

I just removed my leveling kit on my 08 for this very reason. Time to go lower rather than higher.

Can't wait to see your truck with the spindles/shackles Matt. Keep us posted.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM
BigTXRam
Professional

I have the 2in spacers and Ive only felt it bottom out once when I first got them put on. I do tend to notice every little bump but the truck also had that before I installed the spacers. Matter of fact I even took it back to the stealership and made them check the suspension out because of it. Basically what I was told is the 06-08s frames are built differently then the 02-05s so I will notice more bumping. Buddy of mine that helps me do all my work to it tells me I notice stuff others that ride with me dont cause I'm too intune with the truck. I dont think thats a bad thing. My wife says it feels like it rides real smooth. So maybe it is just me... idk

Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Yeah a fully boxed frame will cause more rigidity. This is part of the reason why we feel the road a little more with our trucks. With my 08, I am on dirt roads, and roads in So Cal are terrible so my UCA hit the spring bucket on a daily basis and I just got tired of it.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Razorhawg
Veteran

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
I just removed my leveling kit on my 08 for this very reason. Time to go lower rather than higher.
send it this way haha

Quick Reply: Possible Fix to 2wd Level Rough Ride